[ext] Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alekh

Re: [ext] Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

Post by Alekh »

When using bouncy I can’t go to the very bottom (or to the very top when scrolling from the bottom). There is always left one pixel which can be scroll with a scrollbar. Is it OK?
Wang Xiao Ming

Post by Wang Xiao Ming »

EDIT: After thinking for a while, I realize the problem explained below may not be easy to fix. So the only solution would be to have a shortcut to disable YASS dynamically.
Could anyone please provide the code for making a keyconfig shortcut?
Thanks
----------------------

In Windows (not sure GNU/Linux distros have an equivalent feature), one can switch the scroll behavior from scrolling X lines at a time to scroll one page by going to Control Panel - Mouse Properties - Wheel.
YASS does not detect this feature so it smooth scrolls lines when it actually should smooth scroll pages.

I am aware that most people do not scroll pages, but the thing is that it is possible to change scroll behavior dynamically by means of a dll call, so that you can press e.g Ctrl + Wheeldown for fast scrolling (scrolling pages) down a large page. (If you are interested in the code, search the AHK forum and if u cant find it let me know)

So, I am just hoping YASS could detect which kind of scroll is active so that it can smooth scroll lines or pages accordingly, and also add settings to choose when smoothness to be applied, that is, only when scrolling lines, only when scrolling pages, or both.
Wang Xiao Ming

Post by Wang Xiao Ming »

@ Alekh:
I do also get one pixel on top and at the bottom. I would have not realized if you had not mentioned it :).
But generally I dont use that feature.
Alekh

Post by Alekh »

Wang Xiao Ming,
Well… Nothing to worry about. It’s just a little annoyance for my perfectionism. :)
lomito

Post by lomito »

just a request, can you make it work in Reader? please
dorando

Post by dorando »

Wang Xiao Ming wrote:So the only solution would be to have a shortcut to disable YASS dynamically.
Could anyone please provide the code for making a keyconfig shortcut?
Try

Code: Select all

yass.toggle_enable(yass.m_pref.enabled "" "true");
yass.m_mousemoved = [-100000,-100000]; 
Support mozilla.dorando.at through donations/contributions.
avada

Post by avada »

Hi Kataho!
Do you have a topic for "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller"? Just found it. And doesn't seem to work everywhere for example the chrome webstore.
john12ik2

Post by john12ik2 »

Can you please add support for vertical tab bar in:
Tree Style Tab
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... style-tab/

Yet Another Smooth Scrolling is wonderful but it's annoying that web page scrolls nicely and vertical tab bar on side scrolls worse.
xasx

Post by xasx »

Seems the extension does not work with latest Nightly after a while (random?).

Error console keeps logging:

Timestamp: 09.05.2012 18:12:40
Error: TypeError: can't access dead object
Source File: chrome://yass/content/main.js
Line: 400
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

xasx wrote:Seems the extension does not work with latest Nightly after a while (random?).

Yeah, random, indeed. :(

Sometimes I can go for a day with no error. At other times, withing a few hours YASS quits working and I have to disable it until I restart the browser.

Still, when it's working, this extension's scroll experience is far superior to the latest implemented by Mozilla. :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

xasx wrote:Seems the extension does not work with latest Nightly after a while (random?).

On trunk in order to deal with extensions that leak memory, when a content window goes away, chrome code (including extension code) is forcibly cut off instead of being allowed to hang on to a reference to a webpage that has gone away. This allows garbage collection to collect back memory but trips up code like YASS uses.

See Bug 749652 "TypeError: can't access dead object" when selecting items in the media list after closing the page.

Phil
xasx

Post by xasx »

Philip Chee wrote:On trunk in order to deal with extensions that leak memory, when a content window goes away, chrome code (including extension code) is forcibly cut off instead of being allowed to hang on to a reference to a webpage that has gone away. This allows garbage collection to collect back memory but trips up code like YASS uses.

See Bug 749652 "TypeError: can't access dead object" when selecting items in the media list after closing the page.

Phil

Thanks, Phil, for clarification. :)

Since the developer's site has gone, I am not sure about any fixes on this... :-k
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

After upgrading to Firefox 15, I have noticed that after a short time of browsing, mouse scrolling won't work.
Switching algorithms doesn't work either.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Are you on the new update (Version 3.0.21 Released July 3, 2012)?

I used to have that issue regularly (well, randomly, actually - but regularly randomly :) ). Disabling YASS would return scrolling.
I'd have to restart Fx and re-enable YASS (since I had it disabled anyway to restore any type of scrolling when such would occur) to restore the YASS scrolling but I haven't seen this issue since the update.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

No.
I am on 15.0 Beta 1 (20120717110313).

But I think I have fixed the problem by simply disabling it, then restarting, then enabling it and restarting.
Strange, I know. :-)

Edit: It broke again, but I find simply going to Add-ons gets it working again.