[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Post by ake79 »

Save File to

Latest release: 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21 - ChangeLog

Links: Homepage | Screenshots | addons.mozilla.org | BabelZilla | Issue Tracker

Description: Save File to is a small Firefox extension that lets you save files to user-defined folders and their sub-folders straight from context menu. It's best explained with a few screenshots.
Last edited by ake79 on February 23rd, 2016, 10:36 am, edited 53 times in total.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
stevemcmillen

Post by stevemcmillen »

I like this extension. I was happy it was able to handle MacOSX file system.

It would be even more handy if you could save selected section of the page to file. I see you can save an image or a link. I also know this extension is able to copy selection as html. I'd love to see the ability to select text and images on the page and then choose "Save to file >" menu and save that region of the page as an html file (or even an option to save as text).

p.s. odd behavior I noticed was that when you select text in the page the "Save Page to" menu does not show up.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Nice to hear that it works in Mac also.

About the availability of Save File to's menu items. "Save Page to" should be available whenever the normal Firefox "Save Page As..." is available (because behind the scene Save File to relies partially on the same code). So as "Save Page as..." is not available when you have text selected, there's no "Save Page to" either. The same goes with "Save Link to" and "Save Image to".

Am I going to implement that feature. Probably not. I have tried to keep the extension simple and limit the scope to strictly handle actual files.

Thanks for your input Steve.
StormFX

Post by StormFX »

Would it be possible for you to add an option to disable sub-folders? For example, When I "Save File To...", then move to Desktop, I want to be able to click "Desktop" to save it there, with no sub-menu for "Save Here". It's kind of an unnecessary step for me because I add the folders I want to it.

Great add-on, though! :)
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Do you want to disable sub-folders altogether or per root-folder basis?
krimskrams

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.0

Post by krimskrams »

Hi,

Cool plugin. Is there a chance that in a future version, users will be able to insert variables in the favourites list? I'm especially looking for:

%y% ... year
%host% ... host

I'd like to define folder like:

downloads/%host%/%y%/

Thanks.
grumm3t

Post by grumm3t »

Any chance for this extension to work with files that are downloaded via a script?

e.g. download.php?file=whatever.txt is downloading download.php instead of the whatever.txt

Edit: the contents of whatever.txt are downloaded, but the file is named incorrectly.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Well, I guess I could advertise the "competition" as a public service.

@StormFX
You haven't got back to me on my question, but if you want to get rid of sub-folders altogether, check out FavLoc

@dingaling
So, basically you want a dynamic root folder. For example, a root folder entry named like "My downloads per host" with path "c:\downloads\%host%". You mean something like that? In that example case, that folder probably wouldn't exist most of the time and there wouldn't be any sub-folders either naturally, so I'm sure what the use would be because the cascading sub-folder thingy is what this extension is mostly about. But I'll think about it.

In the meantime, have you checked out Save Link in Folder and Save Image in Folder. I think they had something similar what you are after.

@grumm3t
Do you have an actual link that I could check out?

In general though, this will probably fall into the known-"problem"-that-I-can't-really-do-nothing-about category. It's kind of impossible for the extension to know what the filename should be if not the default. It's the server's job to tell the right filename to the client. I could try to query the content type and then set the file extension correctly so you would have download.php.txt for example, but that's kind of half-assed solution because if the server doesn't return the filename it probably won't return the content type properly either. Complain to the webmaster of the host and tell him to fix his program.

Thanks for the input everyone.
grumm3t

Post by grumm3t »

Here's an example link: http://grumm3t.com/test/test.html can view the source at http://grumm3t.com/test/

The filename is sent in the headers, but now sure if extensions have access to that.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Eh, I guess I have to backtrack on that "complain to webmaster". Your example has the filename just fine. I guess I have to fix that...
krimskrams

Post by krimskrams »

ake79 wrote:In the meantime, have you checked out Save Link in Folder and Save Image in Folder. I think they had something similar what you are after.

Those aren't of any use.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a slogger replacement. First, because it seems abandoned. Secondly, because the latter versions were overloaded with useless features, trying to do too many things at once.

Your plugin could be a good replacement for my needs. Although I'm not so convinced that rebuilding the filesystem under the popup menu without any depth limit is such a good idea but the heck with it. The main problem with this approach is though that I often want to save a file to a folder like .../www.example.com/2008/. If I haven't saved a file to that folder before and it doesn't exist, your plugin doesn't provide any means to create that folder. I have to switch to the file browser, create the folder, switch back to FF ...

In that example case, that folder probably wouldn't exist most of the time and there wouldn't be any sub-folders either naturally

The idea would be that the plugin creates these folders if necessary.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

I have considered your request dingaling but I have to say no.

There won't be any macro functionality in Save File to. I want to keep the extension simple and free of more UI clutter than it already has. Macros are more of a power user function. There are other extensions that already have them.

And yes, there is no simple way to create a new folder in the extension either. At the beginning I thought whether I should add "Create Folder Here" menuitems but decided against them because it would clutter the UI and I didn't think creating a folder would be that frequent thing to do, so one might as well use "Save Xxx As.." and save dialog to the create folder.

And about that "rebuilding the filesystem under the popup menu without any depth limit". The popups are created dynamically one folder at a time. That is, it doesn't recurse to sub-folders until they are opened. So it's not a performance issue if that's what you are worried about.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

There is new release 1.1b1 that should fix the problem that grumm3t reported plus some other minor things (ChangeLog). It is a beta release, because the downloading code went through a major rewrite and I want to make sure that it works in the Real World before I make it 1.1.

So I would appreciate if You would test it and report back if you have problems. Or if you test it and don't find any problems, let me know also so I know that people have tried it. But please send those "seems to work" messages via pm, so this topic won't get cluttered. I have made a simple test page that shows that it works in trivial cases (no need to report that those work).

1.1b1 is available here. If 1.1b1 seems to work fine, 1.1 will be released in early August. Though it might still take some time before it shows up in AMO because of the long review queue there.
N3RI

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.1

Post by N3RI »

Hi ake79, great addon.
First of all, I'll quote a suggestion that is on the download page: "it would be better for me if the recent folders were on top, so i wouldn t rush the pointer over the big slow-opening directories before they open"

Second, I'd like to translate this addon to es-ES and es-AR. But I don't know how to send you the translated files and which ones to translate.
I translated this locale/en-US folder's files:
folder.dtd
folder.properties
options.dtd
savefileto.dtd
savefileto.properties
Are there more files to translate?
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.1

Post by ake79 »

Thanks N3RI.

Hmm... I guess I could implement that as people seem to want it and reasoning behind it seems valid. I can't give any timetable though.

Translations are always welcomed. Translation work goes through http://www.babelzilla.org/. So if you could register and upload your translations there, I would appreciate it.

(Note that BabelZilla has only Save File to version 1.0 but that's just because I haven't bothered to upload 1.1 as there were no string changes.)

And yes, there are only those five files.