[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
davn8r

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.0.2 - 2010-05-29

Post by davn8r »

I am experiencing what I believe to be a bug.

recently downloaded this add-on, restarted firefox (version 3.6.6 on a Windows Vista platform) and the context menu shows the "Save Page to..." menu item but not the "Save Imeage to" or "Save Link to", both of which are enabled when I view the options window.
Other installed extensions include:

AI Roboform Toolbar
Colorzilla
FIrebug
Google toolbar
IE View Lite
Java Console 6.0.07
Java Console 6.0.11
Map This
Movie Media Player
pdfit
XULRunner

Error log does not show anything

davn8r
ake79

Post by ake79 »

The extension's menu items are only visible if you open the context menu on an object which they operate on. That is, "Save Image to" is only visible when you open context menu on an image.

"Save xxx to" menu items have actually the same visibility rules as the corresponding "Save xxx As..." items. So, if you see "Save Image As...", but not "Save Image to", then you have found a bug.

?
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
davn8r

Post by davn8r »

Oh...Ok - I misunderstand the functionality. I thought that it gave the option of saving the current page as a page, link or image. Now that I see your explanation it makes perfect sense.

Sorry for my misunderstanding and thank you for the prompt response.
davn8r
ckit

Post by ckit »

Any chance of support being added for SeaMonkey 2.0.6?
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been off-net for the past two weeks.

Seamonkey support. I never looked into it so I have no idea what kind of effort it would be.

If it's more than trivial, SeaMonkey 2.1 is more likely, because all the changes I need to do anyway for Firefox 4 (they use the same toolkit version, Gecko 2.0).

So, I'll see what I can do. No timetable.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

ake79 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response. I've been off-net for the past two weeks.

Seamonkey support. I never looked into it so I have no idea what kind of effort it would be.

If it's more than trivial, SeaMonkey 2.1 is more likely, because all the changes I need to do anyway for Firefox 4 (they use the same toolkit version, Gecko 2.0).

So, I'll see what I can do. No timetable.

If it works in Firefox 3.5, it'll work in SeaMonkey 2.0.
See: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Extensions_support_in_SeaMonkey_2 for a quick overview.

Phil
krusader23

Post by krusader23 »

Here are my thoughts:
Oh, and sorry for my post format used ;x
krusader23

Post by krusader23 »

Sorry, I just got bored this afternoon.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

@krusader23

• sidebar & drag and drop: No. It's not what this extension is about.
  • menu positioning: I played around with it this morning and ended up implementing it. There's a now preferences to position* the menu and sub-menus. Also, there's a preference for menus to open on alternating side: menu main opens on left side, sub-menu on right, its sub-menu on left and so on. Still, these are somewhat advanced tweaks so I probably leave them as hidden preferences and not to add them to options window.
  • save file to multiple locations: No. I don't see any real use case for this. And even if there were, still no.
  • policies: No. Too complex for this extension.
  • behavior based on file extension: I think there already exists an extension that does that. But there won't be anything like that in Save File to.
  • automatic file renaming (like date/host append): I have plans but let's see.

* see table here for different positioning options: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XUL/Po ... _attribute

Thanks for your input, krusader23. Maybe you should ask if anyone else interested about your ideas, or start to develop an extension yourself.
trismarck

Post by trismarck »

Well, maybe it will happen someday.
Anyway, I'm using four add-on and day by day I find more convenient because of it's not bloated out interface.
RobbieThe1st

Post by RobbieThe1st »

I just moved to Firefox 4.0b6pre on Debian Squeze, and found that Save File To didn't work right.
Checking the error console, it seems that "dialog.makeFileUnique(file);" on line ~147 in /chrome/content/unknown.js doesn't work.
I worked around this by:
1. I extracted the /chrome/savefileto.jar file to its parent directory
2. I edited the "chrome.manifest" file, and removed the jar-links. The first three lines would be:

Code: Select all

content   savefileto  chrome/content/
resource  savefileto  modules/
skin      savefileto  classic/1.0  chrome/skin/

3. I copied nsHelperAppDlg.js from /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.13pre/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js and put it in the SaveFileTo /chrome/content/ directory(I couldn't figure out its chrome URL). Note: the source path may very; just search for "nsHelperAppDlg.js" using your favorite tool.
4. I added this line:

<script type="application/javascript;version=1.8" src="chrome://savefileto/content/nsHelperAppDlg.js" />

to /chrome/content/unknown.xul on line 42, pushing the similar script tag down one line.

5. I edited /chrome/content/unknown.js and replace this line: dialog.makeFileUnique(file); with:

var newDialog = new nsUnknownContentTypeDialog();
newDialog.makeFileUnique(file);

I then rebooted Firefox and it worked.
Note to anyone else trying this: You may have to go to about:config and change the "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache" Boolean to true.

I hope this helps someone out, and I look forward to a proper patch from the author!

-Rob
ake79

Post by ake79 »

As noted in extension's homepage, in amo and at the beginning of this same topic, there's a development release (2.1a2) available that works in ff4. At least, it worked the last time I tried it.

The problem that RobbieThe1st mentioned above was fixed here: http://hg.mozdev.org/savefileto/rev/6fbd3690b894
jdln

Post by jdln »

Can this add on automatically save different file types to different locations? So everything i download a jgp it goes to my 'images' folder, and everything i download a pdf it goes to 'docs'.

Thanks
ake79

Post by ake79 »

jdln wrote:Can this add on automatically save different file types to different locations? So everything i download a jgp it goes to my 'images' folder, and everything i download a pdf it goes to 'docs'.

No.
Eep²

Post by Eep² »

Cached images aren't being saved directly, resulting in a redownload of the image. Wasteful...