[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.2.1

Post by ake79 »

@w0mbat:
That (or something similar) has been requested before here. Shouldn't increase the complexity of the extension too much, so I guess I could add it.

But don't expect this to happen soon.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
w0mbat

Post by w0mbat »

ake79: Yes, it is same. It will be best if this will be per-folder option, not global. Thanks ;)
Eep²

Post by Eep² »

• Option to link all root folders for page, link, and image types. Having to set each one to have the same folders is annoying.
  • Duplicate filename error checking and resolution (ask, overwrite, ignore, etc).
  • Tighten folder list so there's not as much space between folder names.
  • Option to lose the "Save Here" line and just click the folder name to save there.
w0mbat

Post by w0mbat »

Eep² wrote:Duplicate filename error checking and resolution (ask, overwrite, ignore, etc)
+ autoincrement name. Useful things.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Eep² wrote:1. Option to link all root folders for page, link, and image types. Having to set each one to have the same folders is annoying.
2. Duplicate filename error checking and resolution (ask, overwrite, ignore, etc).
3. Tighten folder list so there's not as much space between folder names.
4. Option to lose the "Save Here" line and just click the folder name to save there.

1. While I understand your point, setting the folders is still kind of a one time thing. And I don't know how many people use the exact same root folders for each type. Yet another checkbox to link them might be an overkill.

2. If I have the time and the energy to rewrite this thing in the future then I might consider this. Maybe.

3. I couldn't figure out how to make the gap between menu items smaller. Theming and css isn't really my thing. Below is some css that makes the items smaller but has no effect on the gap. If you want to try it, add it to your userChrome.css.

Code: Select all

.savefileto-mainMenu > menu,
.savefileto-mainMenu > menuitem,
.savefileto-subMenu > menu,
.savefileto-subMenu > menuitem { font-size: 10px !important; height: 10px !important; }

If someone knows how to change the gap between menuitems, let me know.

4. It would mean yet another checkbox in options dialog whether you want use Save Here or not. Not sure if it's worth it. (Option would be required because the requested feature is not standard user interface behavior.)

Thanks for suggestions, Eep². I don't want to be seen as shooting down your ideas, it's just that I want keep things simple and not add an option for every possible feature. Not saying that the current options would be the simplest possible but still.
Eep²

Post by Eep² »

Keeping things simpler would mean NOT separating the "favorite folders" for each file type...

http://downloadstatusbar.mozdev.org/emmenu/ and http://james.istop.com/OptionsMenu/ are 2 extensions that have tighter menus; maybe you can check their source code for how they do it.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Eep² wrote:Keeping things simpler would mean NOT separating the "favorite folders" for each file type...

Yes, of course you are right. But then the first request from user X would be: "Can we have separate root folders for each type, pleeease". ;) It's a balancing act.

Thanks for those links, I'll check them out.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

@Eep²:
I looked through the extensions you linked to. Afaict they don't use any special styling in their menus, so their menus look to me just the same as Save File to's menus.

Or if I'm missing something obvious, take a couple screenshots that shows the problem and some explanation what you are after.
Eep²

Post by Eep² »

Note the excessive spacing between each Save File To directory/folder vs. the much tighter Extensions' list:
Image Image
Perhaps the submenu triangle (">") function(?) causes the extra spacing on each line?
ake79

Post by ake79 »

They look different because Save File to uses normal menuitem elements and EM menu does not. If you compare Save File to's menu to tools menu itself, you can see that they look the same.

EM menu's custom menuitems leads to unpredictable behavior. You get smaller gap, but I get just the opposite (linux, ff2, default theme). No exactly sure why.

Repeat: If someone knows how to change the gap between normal menuitems, let me know.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.3

Post by ake79 »

Release 1.3 - ChangeLog

Mainly Firefox 3.5 compatibility release. Support for private browsing. A couple new translations.
warmth

Re: [Ext] Save File to 1.3 - 2009-04-26

Post by warmth »

Please add option to rename the files automatically as "Save Link in Folder" and "Save Image in Folder" extensions have... your extension is way much better but lack of some features that this two have built in... Please analize them ;) and keep doing well...
.:warmth:. | Betatesting a life!
Twitter/Jabber/Ovi: warmth | Flickr/Gtalk/Gwave/YouTube: warmth7
Haitch

Post by Haitch »

I agree it needs to be simple, but I don't believe it currently is. The main problem is the idea of a root folder. You simply recreate the basic problem of the standard Firefox Save Page As process, where you have to navigate through folders and subfolders, but you do it in a visually more clumsy and unmanageable way. Sorry. The way that subfolders open in a huge pane whether you want them or not, with no option to disable that action, is visually distracting and slow. If you keep using the app, you keep creating more subfolders for the files for each page you save, and the problem gets steadily worse.

Having 'recent folders' goes some way to reducing the nuisance, but as someone has pointed out, listing them in the submenu below the root folders defeats most of the purpose, as there's no way to slide the pointer to the recent folders without triggering the visual mess and delay of the root folders. The rational way to use the addon might be to add any folders you want to Save To as 'root folders', even if they're not really, and then you end with a submenu that has the same folders listed twice, as root folders and as recent folders. If you use the add on constantly, that may be ok, because you get used to it, but you're still getting used to something intrinsically inefficient and visually confusing, and for infrequent users, you have to keep reminind yourself 'Oh, right, the ones on the top are the roots that take forever to open up ...' ...

Forget 'root' and 'recent', just let people add folders. Give them the option to have subfolders open if they want, as a global setting, but the default should be that folders in the submenu don't open up subfolders.

Sorry to be critical, but this is really a useful addon which, currently, is being almost completely ruined by one completely unnecessary complication.
w0mbat

Post by w0mbat »

warmth wrote:Please add option to rename the files automatically
This is already exist, but without corresponding option, isn't it? In my case files are renamed to file(2).ext, file(3).ext well.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

@Haitch:
All feedback is appreciated, including critical.

Various points you raised (out of order):

Forget 'root' and 'recent', just let people add folders. Give them the option to have subfolders open if they want, as a global setting, but the default should be that folders in the submenu don't open up subfolders.

If you don't like submenus, have you checked out other similar extensions: viewtopic.php?p=3586655#p3586655. An option to not to use subfolders is coming, and you can already disable recent folders.

...Save Page As...

The whole Save Page to functionality in this extension is kind of an after thought. It's kind of stupid because unlike Link and Image, it always opens the save dialog, the very thing that this extension is suppose to help you to avoid. But because nobody has complained about it (and I use it very seldom), I haven't done anything about it. Maybe in the future...

...slow...

The speed at which the submenus open, is mainly dependent on the speed of your filesystem and the size of a folder. Plus, the whole subject of speed subjective anyway. All I can say, that it's fast enough for me.

Having 'recent folders' goes some way to reducing the nuisance, but as someone has pointed out, listing them in the submenu below the root folders defeats most of the purpose, as there's no way to slide the pointer to the recent folders without triggering the visual mess and delay of the root folders.

You have noticed the Show recent folders above root folders option, right.

But in general, the extension is what it is. Some minor changes are coming, but if you find the menus confusing to use as they are now, I think you need to look for simpler alternatives. The whole submenu thing is what this extensions is about.

@w0mbat & warmth:
w0mbat wrote:
warmth wrote:warmth wrote:Please add option to rename the files automatically

This is already exist, but without corresponding option, isn't it? In my case files are renamed to file(2).ext, file(3).ext well.

Yes, the extension auto-renames like w0mbat said, but I think warmth wanted "macros". Something like this: example.jpg + $filename-$year-$month-$day.$extension => example-2009-05-20.jpg. When requested earlier, I said no. Now, maybe.

Minor status update. Life afk is keeping me busy. But new version with some of the requested features is coming. I just can't give any timetable.