[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tbs

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3 - 2012-03-09

Post by tbs »

What do you think to add support for Windows environment variables? Example:

%UserProfile%\desktop

So I can use my Firefox portable in various machines without edit path again and again.

Is it possible?

More info at WikipediA article.

Thanks!
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Worth considering, yes.

Would you mind adding that feature request here: http://code.google.com/p/savefileto/issues/list ("new issue", upper left corner)
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
tbs

Post by tbs »

Done!
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.3.1 - ChangeLog - Download

Just a translation update (de, pt-BR).
waydown

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3.1 - 2012-04-09

Post by waydown »

I am not sure if this has been requested before or not and how easy it is to include but the only reason I don't use savefileto for EVERY single download is the fact you can't edit/rename the filename on the spot before you save the file, exactly like you are able to do when you save something normally. So I end up saving all files in "my documents", rename them at will and then move them to their corresponding folder. Which can be a pain after a long session. But imagine if you could use the fantastic ability of savefileto to efficiently browse rapidly into the folder you want your file to be saved into with the additional twist you can edit/rename the filename while doing so. No more random files clutter in a generic folder or browsing into what you thought to be perfectly organized folders only to run into weird/wrong named files. Bliss!
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Go Save File to's options dialog and "Main" pane. From there check "Always open save dialog". (2nd screeshot here: http://code.google.com/p/savefileto/wiki/Screenshots).

Does that solve your problem?
waydown

Post by waydown »

It does, I can't forgive myself I haven't noticed that even though I have checked the menu! Even better that there is a shortcut to call for that only when needed. Feeling bad I suggested a feature which was already there I came up with another which in my opinion could be useful too. What if you could also include an "open folders" category in the main window so you are able to save to a currently open folder you are working with? I can think of many cases something like that would be useful. Of course, this can be enabled or disabled at will like "recent folders" category.
I can't think of anything else missing from this great add-on. Thank you ake79 for developing it and extra thanks for the fast reply! :)
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Sorry but I don't quite follow. What do you mean by "open folders"?
waydown

Post by waydown »

Explorer Folder(s) already open we currently work with. Active in the task bar. Let's say we sort out stuff or we need to re-download a better quality version of the files or get more of the same kind in those certain folders. Like, we want to download files from the site "z" where they need to be stored in the subfolders "x" and "y" (or more) we already work with. Imagine we got two folders open with subcategories of video or audio files and at the same time firefox on the page we already got those from. We can check whether there are duplicates, files missing or ones of a better quality than the versions we already have or even new content available. And then browse with Explorer into another related subfolder and keep working. All these files would be instantly available to download into the corresponding folders with savefileto making the workflow much faster. I could name many other examples something like what would be useful but basically imagine we got a firefox session we save photos from one or more sites to various (sub)folders. At the same time we got those open in windows explorer to check/add/remove/edit stuff which was the reason we started this firefox session in the first place. Then we need to go two folders back or forward, into a related one. Basically, the catch here is that Explorer is the object of our work, browsing through it and adding files while having Firefox supply what needed and not the other way around.
Now, with image files we can simply "drag" the photos from firefox window to the folder(s) in the taskbar maintaining an order right away. We can't do the same with audio, video, text, exe or any other type of files and that's what this feature would solve! :) I really hope it makes sense and that is something simple to add, remember that the user can always enable/disable that at will of course, from the main menu, exactly like it happens with the "recent folders" category. If you think about it, the most recent folder is the one you are currently working in. :wink: Thank you.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Hmm... Interesting idea.

Requires os specific solution though and I don't know anything about Windows API (or any other os APIs), so let's see...

EDIT: Created issue for this: issue #28
Last edited by ake79 on November 17th, 2012, 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
waydown

Post by waydown »

I am glad you like the idea and consider it. Your work is really appreciated.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3.2 - 2012-05-10

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.3.2 - ChangeLog - Download

Another translation update: bg-BG, es-AR, es-ES, hu-HU.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3.2 - 2012-05-10

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.3.3 - ChangeLog - Download

Yet another translation update: pt-PT, ru-RU.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3.3 - 2012-06-09

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.3.4 - ChangeLog - Download

Fixed issue #20 - "Save Link to" fails if all cookies are not allowed.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.3.4 - 2012-09-20

Post by ake79 »

Just fyi. Save File to is currently broken in aurora (ff18) and nightly (ff19). See issue 23 for up-to-date details.