MozillaZine

[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MalAmen666
 
Posts: 2
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 10:02 am

Post Posted June 30th, 2009, 10:37 am

I'm loving this great extension, but the one feature that I miss from the old "Save Image in Folder" is the double click on an image saves it on the last saved folder.
You see, when you got 5 images in a row to save in the same folder, its annoying to repeat the monotonous right click -> menus, even with the recently used. Now imagine with 10 or 20 to the same folder, it's a rightclicking nightmare!

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted June 30th, 2009, 12:02 pm

That double click thing in SIiF is nice, until the image is also a link or it has some javascript function attached to it. Will I add something similar to Save File to, probably not, sorry.

If you are downloading multiple images often, you are probably better off looking for some extension that's especially designed to download multiple images.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

w0mbat
 
Posts: 38
Joined: March 6th, 2009, 8:03 am
Location: kiev.ua

Post Posted July 1st, 2009, 3:22 am

ake79 wrote:some extension that's especially designed to download multiple images
They will not help if images are placed on different pages with random names. Also images with links isn't a problem, imho — in most cases link points to next image and this will be even better (double click processed as single in this case).
It may be rather useful feature, with on-off option of course.

MalAmen666
 
Posts: 2
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 10:02 am

Post Posted July 1st, 2009, 3:38 am

Actually what I usually do when I have a huge gallery of thumbnails of images that I may want to keep, I start by opening the images that I might like on a new tab (it's dificult to judge an image by it's thumbnail), I do have other extensions that can save all images, but I just want the images that I like, not all of them.
Then I travel tab by tab, if I like the pic I save it, either by double clicking, if such awesome feature is available, or by right clicking and stuff; if the thumbnail was misleading and I don't like the image at all, I don't save it. And then I close the tab and move to the next opened image.
This way, I only save images I screened, and not massed saved. Of course, when I'm out of time or patience, I do the batch save with the respective extension.
And linked images and javascripted images have never been that much of a problem to my double clicking experience. In those cases, it is justifiable to simply use the right clicking method of image saving. I would just have do that without the double click feature, anyway...

ppluvup
 
Posts: 6
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 7:30 am

Post Posted August 15th, 2009, 1:38 am

Awesome ext!!
It could be perfect if the following things would be done:
1.When a duplicates is dowloaded,show a messege dialog to choose "recover" or "cancel",instead of just adding (1),(2),etc
. in the end of filenames.
2.it will be diaplayed as "%XX" when there're some special characters in the filenames,"space",for example,will be "%20".
3.Make it possible to download images from cache rather than using download-manager,since we often have already had them in cache.

The ext Save Image in Folder performs good in the 3 items above,you may get some idea from it.I finally choose "Save File to" because it provides folder tree,that's convenient!

Look forword to your reply,thanks very much!!

w0mbat
 
Posts: 38
Joined: March 6th, 2009, 8:03 am
Location: kiev.ua

Post Posted August 15th, 2009, 9:04 am

ppluvup
Make it possible to download images from cache rather than using download-manager,since we often have already had them in cache
If image is cached, firefox does not reload it. This may be checked simply if you have local proxy for web-browsing (i did it with this extension before write this).

Also i have one more feature request too ;) Is it possible to implement such option as on this pic (selected by green)? In some cases link cannot be saved with "save link to", you must click on it and wait for this dialog. So if you are saving many files, this option will save your time with taking away one operation for each saving.
Image

ppluvup
 
Posts: 6
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 7:30 am

Post Posted August 15th, 2009, 11:14 am

w0mbat wrote:If image is cached, firefox does not reload it. This may be checked simply if you have local proxy for web-browsing (i did it with this extension before write this).

You are right,but sometimes fx really reload the image,especially when we have a large image there...

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 1:16 am

Status update: I was planning to complete the new version during the summer but I ended up doing no coding at all. So the next version still, coming...

ppluvup wrote:1.When a duplicates is dowloaded,show a messege dialog to choose "recover" or "cancel",instead of just adding (1),(2),etc. in the end of filenames.

Requested before here. Same answer, maybe.

ppluvup wrote:2.it will be diaplayed as "%XX" when there're some special characters in the filenames,"space",for example,will be "%20".

My guess, it's the servers fault. Spaces and other special characters work just fine for me. But if you have an example, I can take a look.

ppluvup wrote:
w0mbat wrote:
ppluvup wrote:3.Make it possible to download images from cache rather than using download-manager,since we often have already had them in cache.

If image is cached, firefox does not reload it. This may be checked simply if you have local proxy for web-browsing (i did it with this extension before write this).

You are right,but sometimes fx really reload the image,especially when we have a large image there...

At the moment, Save File to uses Firefox's built-in image saving functions, and they work as you and w0mbat have observed. I'm not planning to change that unless I have to for some other reason.

w0mbat wrote:Also i have one more feature request too ;) Is it possible to implement such option as on this pic (selected by green)? In some cases link cannot be saved with "save link to", you must click on it and wait for this dialog.

Yes. This will be in the next version.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

w0mbat
 
Posts: 38
Joined: March 6th, 2009, 8:03 am
Location: kiev.ua

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 4:43 am

ppluvup wrote:You are right,but sometimes fx really reload the image,especially when we have a large image there...
It means image not present in cache, i think. So extension does all it can now.
Maybe, larger values of disk or memory cache, this or this will help you.


ake79
But if you have an example, I can take a look
Here can be an exsample, i guess. Try to use "save link to" on the image (not "save image to"), and some chars in file name will be saved as %XX.
This will be in the next version.
Thank you!

ppluvup
 
Posts: 6
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 7:30 am

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 5:25 am

ake79 wrote:
ppluvup wrote:2.it will be diaplayed as "%XX" when there're some special characters in the filenames,"space",for example,will be "%20".

My guess, it's the servers fault. Spaces and other special characters work just fine for me. But if you have an example, I can take a look.

Maybe I haven't clearly describe the problem.It happens only when using "save link to".Take this site for example,save the "Original image" link on the left of the page,and you'll see "space" displayed as "%20".It works well with other downloaders or fx's build-in.

w0mbat wrote:
ppluvup wrote:You are right,but sometimes fx really reload the image,especially when we have a large image there...
It means image not present in cache, i think. So extension does all it can now.
Maybe, larger values of disk or memory cache, this or this will help you.


Hmm ,but in the same situation SIiF can just save the image without any lag,so I think it may not be a problem of cache.

w0mbat wrote:Here can be an exsample, i guess. Try to use "save link to" on the image (not "save image to"), and some chars in file name will be saved as %XX.


Yes,you got it!Just a few minutes before me...I didn't see your post when I began writing this reply...lol

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 5:47 am

Ok, you are both right on the %nn issue. I'll fix it for the next release. I'll look into that cache thing as well more closely.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

w0mbat
 
Posts: 38
Joined: March 6th, 2009, 8:03 am
Location: kiev.ua

Post Posted August 16th, 2009, 7:58 am

ppluvup wrote:Hmm ,but in the same situation SIiF can just save the image without any lag,so I think it may not be a problem of cache.
Maybe, but interface reactions may not represent a real behaviour here. It needs to check this with any suiable network monitoring tool (like tcpdump, or simple proxy) for reliable info.
ppluvup wrote:Yes,you got it!Just a few minutes before me...I didn't see your post when I began writing this reply...lol
I also caught this problem some time ago ;) Filenames in my locale (cyrillic) become completely unreadable in this case.


ake79
Thanks ;)

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted August 26th, 2009, 10:48 am

Release 1.3.1 - ChangeLog

I fixed that url decoding bug. Thanks to ppluvup and w0mbat, for reporting the bug.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

holist
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 11:03 am

Post Posted August 26th, 2009, 11:08 am

There's a problem with saving links (at least): When I select Desktop (which is under my home dir), the extension tries to save the file as "Desktop" under my home dir, effectively resulting in it saving as "Desktop (2)" as Desktop already does exist.

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted August 26th, 2009, 11:49 am

Hmm... Sounds weird.

So, this seems to happen only when you are saving links? And you are not using save dialog option with Save File to? Does this happen with all links or just some? Which version are you using, 1.3 or 1.3.1? You are using ff3.5 in Mac?

If you could open up about:config (instructions) and tell me what the value of "extensions.savefileto.link.rootFolders" is.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests