MozillaZine

[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
holist
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 11:03 am

Post Posted September 14th, 2009, 12:43 pm

ake79 wrote:So, this seems to happen only when you are saving links? And you are not using save dialog option with Save File to? Does this happen with all links or just some? Which version are you using, 1.3 or 1.3.1? You are using ff3.5 in Mac?


Hi, I just updated the extension to version 1.3.1 and remembered this discussion; it seems the problem disappeared with the new version. (Yes, FF3.5.2 on Mac.)

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted November 22nd, 2009, 4:34 am

Release 1.4 - ChangeLog

Support for Firefox 3.6.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted January 9th, 2010, 4:12 am

Release 2.0b1 - ChangeLog

Finally managed to get something done.

  • Save file dialog support.
  • Sub-menus are now optional.
  • More configurable folder list
  • Drag and drop support in options window
  • Clipboard support in options window
  • Dropped support Firefox 3.0 and earlier

Please note that this is a major rewrite with a lot new stuff so it's more than possible that there are bugs that I have missed. If you have problems, please report them here or via email.

Also, this beta release doesn't have any translations. I'll try get the changed strings to babelzilla some time soon.

Release can be downloaded from homepage or from AMO's beta channel.


EDIT: 2010-02-06

Release 2.0b2 - ChangeLog

Fixed a couple Windows bugs. Uploaded to BabelZilla for translators.
Last edited by ake79 on February 6th, 2010, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

WildcatRay

User avatar
 
Posts: 7390
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post Posted January 9th, 2010, 8:04 am

This is a nice alternative to Save File in Folder and Save Image in Folder with one important exception. Save File to automatically decides for the user to save the file even if it finds one with an identical file name whereas Save File and Save Image will open the Windows Explorer box to confirm if I want to overwrite an existing file, rename the file I am downloading or cancel the download altogether. For my needs, this is deal breaker as I do not want to download--again--files or images I have already downloaded. Sorry, but Save File to is only a single when it could have been a home run.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 (1703) Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted February 21st, 2010, 7:39 am

Release 2.0 - ChangeLog

Support for save file dialog. More configurable folder list.

Future plans: Look into that filename conflict thing that WildcatRay mentions above (and others have before).
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

WildcatRay

User avatar
 
Posts: 7390
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Post Posted February 21st, 2010, 7:45 am

ake79 wrote:Release 2.0 - ChangeLog

Support for save file dialog. More configurable folder list.

Future plans: Look into that filename conflict thing that WildcatRay mentions above (and others have before).

FYI-Both the Save Link to Folder and Save Image to Folder extensions will open up a file save dialog if the item being saved has a naming conflict with a file in the folder the item is being saved to. Perhaps they can give you some clues as to how to go about handling this in Save File to.

EDIT: Oops! I see I have already mentioned them before. #-o
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 (1703) Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly

Shakib
 
Posts: 19
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 8:47 am

Post Posted February 22nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

ake79 wrote:Release 2.0 - ChangeLog

Support for save file dialog. More configurable folder list.

Future plans: Look into that filename conflict thing that WildcatRay mentions above (and others have before).


Excellent but for one thing: Using "Save Link To" with save file dialog active changes Firefox's default save folder to the one the link in saved to. This doesn't happen with "Save Page To" and "Save Image To", and rather defeats the point of the addon.

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted February 23rd, 2010, 10:16 am

Shakib wrote:Excellent but for one thing: Using "Save Link To" with save file dialog active changes Firefox's default save folder to the one the link in saved to.


Yes, I know. It's because in that specific case Save File to uses Firefox's internal save method whose behavior was changed in ff3 resulting in that bug. Basically it's been there for the past 18 months. You are the first one to mention it.

There's no easy and quick fix for it at the moment. I'll probably fix it in 2.1 when/if I rewrite the downloading code.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

Shakib
 
Posts: 19
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 8:47 am

Post Posted February 25th, 2010, 7:16 am

ake79 wrote:
Shakib wrote:Excellent but for one thing: Using "Save Link To" with save file dialog active changes Firefox's default save folder to the one the link in saved to.


Yes, I know. It's because in that specific case Save File to uses Firefox's internal save method whose behavior was changed in ff3 resulting in that bug. Basically it's been there for the past 18 months. You are the first one to mention it.

There's no easy and quick fix for it at the moment. I'll probably fix it in 2.1 when/if I rewrite the downloading code.


I've noticed it before but was always too lazy to complain. The addon remains on my "indispensables" list.

Gijera
 
Posts: 2
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Post Posted February 26th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Would be nice if when using the popup menu, if that typing letters will iterativly get you closer to the exact folder-name your looking for (instead of just going by the first letter you type). For example if I'm looking for a folder in a long list called "My Folder" if I type 'M' it takes me to the m's section and then if I follow that up quickly with a 'y' letter it will take me into the my's section, then if I type a space and then a 'F' it will take me to the "My F" section.... and so one.

Also I would like it if it you could make it possible for the customization of the hotkey to get into the menu in the first place. I was fine with the 'g' hotkey in earlier versions but now it's been switched to 'i' which I have multiple hotkeys in the menu that use 'i'.

Also, it might be nice to have the option in the 'options screen' to be able to make virtual folders (in addition to just having the ones on the main menu). Such as making a folder with entries in it that are virtual folders pointing to various custom locations.

Also, I don't know why but sometimes, at the 'Save-As' dialog the name of the image is just a bunch of gibberish letters instead of the name that should be there.

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted February 27th, 2010, 4:12 am

Gijera wrote:Would be nice if when using the popup menu, if that typing letters will iterativly get you closer to the exact folder-name your looking for (instead of just going by the first letter you type). For example if I'm looking for a folder in a long list called "My Folder" if I type 'M' it takes me to the m's section and then if I follow that up quickly with a 'y' letter it will take me into the my's section, then if I type a space and then a 'F' it will take me to the "My F" section.... and so one.

Should be doable. Though I would probably prefer it to be case insensitive.

Question: Should that incremental search (or whatever it's called) apply to only to folders or also to other elements: recent list and "Save Here" and "Preferences..." elements?

The latter option is more consistent user experience, but the first option might be more useful.

Gijera wrote:Also I would like it if it you could make it possible for the customization of the hotkey to get into the menu in the first place. I was fine with the 'g' hotkey in earlier versions but now it's been switched to 'i' which I have multiple hotkeys in the menu that use 'i'.

Yeah, I changed them to be clearer (first character of word) but of course the result might actually be more inconvenient if you actually use them often (I don't). But trying to be unique in context menu is lost cause anyway.

Anyway, I'll make them customizable.

Gijera wrote:Also, it might be nice to have the option in the 'options screen' to be able to make virtual folders (in addition to just having the ones on the main menu). Such as making a folder with entries in it that are virtual folders pointing to various custom locations.

Let's see. If I figure out a way to implement them so that they don't increase extension's complexity too much, then maybe. Not a first priority in any case.

Gijera wrote:Also, I don't know why but sometimes, at the 'Save-As' dialog the name of the image is just a bunch of gibberish letters instead of the name that should be there.

Image is served via some script that doesn't return the name properly. Or returns the name, but does it too slowly. Or some character encoding issue. Or some other reason.

Next time that happens, post/email the details. Link, screenshot, etc.


Thanks for the ideas Gijera. Something that no one has requested before for a change ;)
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

Eep²
 
Posts: 12
Joined: March 13th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Post Posted March 5th, 2010, 6:04 am

Please remove the 10 folder limit! Why was it imposed? So annoying! Also, allow folder branching from recent folders without having to drill down in the main folder list over and over again...

Also, instead of a bajillion change logs, have ONE (1) whose filename and location never changes so it's less annoying trying to see what's been screw--changed.

ake79
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Post Posted March 5th, 2010, 10:46 am

Eep² wrote:Please remove the 10 folder limit! Why was it imposed? So annoying!


Well, I didn't thought that anyone would use more than say 10. The recent folder list loses it's utility if the value is large. Maybe I could increase the limit since you ask so nicely.

In the meanwhile, you can open about:config and change the value of "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org.recentSize" to whatever you wish. In the options window, it still show only "10" but otherwise it should work. At least, it did for me when I tried it.

Eep² wrote:Also, allow folder branching from recent folders without having to drill down in the main folder list over and over again...


Unlikely that I ever implement that. The problem is that it would make recent folders slower to use. You would need to open the sub-menu to press "Save Here". And it would be limited help as the sub-menus show only children (sub-folders), not siblings which in my opinion would be more useful in this case.

Eep² wrote:Also, instead of a bajillion change logs, have ONE (1) whose filename and location never changes so it's less annoying trying to see what's been screw--changed.


This link points always to latest version: http://hg.mozdev.org/savefileto/raw-fil ... ngeLog.txt

AMO has also list of all the versions: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/4902

Though, ChangeLogs haven't been all that comprehensive.

Were there any other changes in 2.0 you disliked? Or anything you liked?
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown

Eep²
 
Posts: 12
Joined: March 13th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Post Posted March 5th, 2010, 2:39 pm

ake79 wrote:
Eep² wrote:Please remove the 10 folder limit! Why was it imposed? So annoying!


Well, I didn't thought that anyone would use more than say 10. The recent folder list loses it's utility if the value is large. Maybe I could increase the limit since you ask so nicely.

In the meanwhile, you can open about:config and change the value of "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org.recentSize" to whatever you wish. In the options window, it still show only "10" but otherwise it should work. At least, it did for me when I tried it.


Thanks.

Eep² wrote:Also, allow folder branching from recent folders without having to drill down in the main folder list over and over again...


Unlikely that I ever implement that. The problem is that it would make recent folders slower to use. You would need to open the sub-menu to press "Save Here". And it would be limited help as the sub-menus show only children (sub-folders), not siblings which in my opinion would be more useful in this case.[/quote]

I don't see any noticeable slowdown with normal folders but it would still be faster than having to refind the parent folder of the one in the recent folders list. I still think you should get rid of the "Save Here" option and just use a click on that folder as that function instead. Also, left branch could be for moving up to the parent and right branch down to children.

Eep² wrote:Also, instead of a bajillion change logs, have ONE (1) whose filename and location never changes so it's less annoying trying to see what's been screw--changed.


This link points always to latest version: http://hg.mozdev.org/savefileto/raw-fil ... ngeLog.txt

AMO has also list of all the versions: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/4902

Though, ChangeLogs haven't been all that comprehensive.[/quote]

Well, if you would just refer to the latest version it would be more convienent. Anything version-specific can be manually found in that version.

ake79 wrote:Were there any other changes in 2.0 you disliked? Or anything you liked?


Not beyond what I already noticed and mentioned, and still not being able to set a global save-to folders (vs. only individually per page, link, image, and file).

Gijera
 
Posts: 2
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Post Posted March 6th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Eep² wrote:Also, allow folder branching from recent folders without having to drill down in the main folder list over and over again...


Unlikely that I ever implement that. The problem is that it would make recent folders slower to use. You would need to open the sub-menu to press "Save Here". And it would be limited help as the sub-menus show only children (sub-folders), not siblings which in my opinion would be more useful in this case.[/quote]

Eep² wrote:I don't see any noticeable slowdown with normal folders but it would still be faster than having to refind the parent folder of the one in the recent folders list. I still think you should get rid of the "Save Here" option and just use a click on that folder as that function instead. Also, left branch could be for moving up to the parent and right branch down to children.


I agree with this idea, and I think the developer misunderstood it. I will restate.
- Get rid of the 'save here' menu option, and just use either a mouse-click or an 'enter-press' in its place
- Then in the 'recent folders' area, make the folders act the same way they would in the main part of the program, where they can access their children by 'right-arrow-clicking'
- Further make the ability to 'left-arrow-click' to get to parent folders -- In this case it would make it possible to have a 'spaghetti-mess' of 'drilled-downed-folders', so it would make a good feature to allow the 'esc' key to, each time it's pressed, go one folder closer to the main menu. --- Also perhaps make this feature turned off by default, as it makes the program a bit more complex.


---------------------------------------
I also have another idea:
Perhaps have an icon/s somewhere, where one can drag n' drop an image to save it to a custom folder/s, without having to go to the 'save as dialog'

-------------------
and one more idea:
perhaps have the image that is saved, have appended to it's meta-data, the website location where it was downloaded from.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests