[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
bob99

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.1.2 - 2011-04-02

Post by bob99 »

Is it possible to add an option to import/export the settings so we don't have to configure all our folders again if we need to reinstall firefox or the profile gets corrupted?
ake79

Post by ake79 »

bob99 wrote:Is it possible to add an option to import/export the settings...

Sure. But if every extension did that separately in their own different way, I'm not sure how useful that would be.

So instead, I would suggest you try out OPIE. Save File to stores all its settings in preferences so OPIE should work.

Note that you have to use configure pane in OPIE to set Save File to "preference root" because OPIE 3.0 doesn't find it automatically. The correct value for "preference root" is "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org".
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

ake79 wrote:So instead, I would suggest you try out OPIE. Save File to stores all its settings in preferences so OPIE should work.

Note that you have to use configure pane in OPIE to set Save File to "preference root" because OPIE 3.0 doesn't find it automatically. The correct value for "preference root" is "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org".

OPIE is only set to work up to Firefox 5 so, after bumping it, it cannot find whatever web-site it is designed to locate.

I'm with bob99, an import/export function would be ideal.
Cheers,
Keith
ake79

Post by ake79 »

keithy397 wrote:OPIE is only set to work up to Firefox 5 so, after bumping it, it cannot find whatever web-site it is designed to locate.

According to this, OPIE should work with ff9. Is that wrong? At least it seemed to work for me when I exported Save File to prefs to a local file in ff8. Not that I have used OPIE before really.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

ake79 wrote:
keithy397 wrote:OPIE is only set to work up to Firefox 5 so, after bumping it, it cannot find whatever web-site it is designed to locate.

According to this, OPIE should work with ff9. Is that wrong? At least it seemed to work for me when I exported Save File to prefs to a local file in ff8. Not that I have used OPIE before really.

The extension will open up and present it's functions etc, but I can't configure it. Every time I try to set the Options, it won't go to the website where (I assume) you configure the extension. Without that configuration, you can't tell it where the pref's are to be exported.

I see what you mean about the extension, and I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the failure to configure it, it could prove to be useful but at the moment for me, it's a dud! Unless I'm missing something...........
Cheers,
Keith
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Ah, having figured it out finally, OPIE will not back-up/export Save File To's pref's because it cannot find the 'Preference Root', therefore it doesn't appear in the list of extensions that can be exported.

Whilst I'm sure OPIE has potential, I think I'd rather have a plain and simple export/import function for this extension, unless of course the same can be achieved by copying the pref's from one Profile to another??
Cheers,
Keith
bob99

Post by bob99 »

Sure. But if every extension did that separately in their own different way, I'm not sure how useful that would be.

So instead, I would suggest you try out OPIE. Save File to stores all its settings in preferences so OPIE should work.

Well, not every extension needs a lot of configuring to the point where it may become a hassle if you have to do it over. This add-on, depending on how many folder locations you assign, could become tedious if you have a lot.

It sounds a little strange that the reason you don't want to add a feature is because if everyone else did it might be useless for yours? I don't see how someone else adding an import/export feature to their extension would affect yours in any way. I use add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Web Search Pro, and Mouse Gestures and they all have an import/export feature and I'm very glad they do since it makes things so much easier to restore settings. I don't feel that because TMP has this feature it makes it less useful for Mouse Gestures to also have it.

That OPIE extension looks kind of complicated to use. I'd rather not do that. If you have no desire to include this feature it's ok, it was just a suggestion. It's still a great program. Thanks for making it.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

bob99 wrote:It sounds a little strange that the reason you don't want to add a feature...

I was merely pointing out that in general it would be better to have a tool that could export/import settings fror any extension, rather than each extension having its own export/import solution. Say I had 100 extensions and I wanted to move their settings to a new Firefox instance, I would prefer do it with one tool in one swoop, rather than going trough all those 100 extensions individually and figuring out how they export their settings.

I was suggesting that that tool could be OPIE, but it seems that it's not ideal solution at the moment. (I don't really use OPIE so I'm not that familiar with it. It's just the only export/import tool that I know.)

bob99 wrote:That OPIE extension looks kind of complicated to use. I'd rather not do that. If you have no desire to include this feature it's ok, it was just a suggestion. It's still a great program. Thanks for making it.

I agree that export/import functionality would be helpful for Save File to. I added issue 9 for that. But at least for now, I'm inclined to wait and see if OPIE+SFt user experience will be improved, rather than adding export/import to Save File to itself.

And thanks. All feedback is appreciated.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

keithy397 wrote:Ah, having figured it out finally, OPIE will not back-up/export Save File To's pref's because it cannot find the 'Preference Root', therefore it doesn't appear in the list of extensions that can be exported.

Whilst I'm sure OPIE has potential, I think I'd rather have a plain and simple export/import function for this extension, unless of course the same can be achieved by copying the pref's from one Profile to another??

OPIE export works with Save File to, but the out-of-the-box experience is not that nice. Follow these steps to get Save File to to appear in the export list: http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/ph ... 866#p11189

Save File to stores all its settings in prefs so copying prefs file from one profile to another would work, I guess. But I don't consider that a good solution in general.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

ake79 wrote:OPIE export works with Save File to, but the out-of-the-box experience is not that nice. Follow these steps to get Save File to to appear in the export list: http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/ph ... 866#p11189

Well, I followed those steps and by installing OPIE and SFT to a test profile, exporting SFT pref's from my main profile and importing them into the test profile I can confirm it works fine! Thanks.
I have a question though, how will I know where the Pref Root is for other extensions that don't appear in the list? Will it appear in the install.rdf?

ake79 wrote:Save File to stores all its settings in prefs so copying prefs file from one profile to another would work, I guess. But I don't consider that a good solution in general.

With other extensions I want to perform the same in all of my Profiles, I have managed to do so by:-
copying pref's from one profile to another
Export/Import
Using 1 file as a master for all profiles by changing the path in the other profiles to the file in my main profile - as I've done with Reminder Fox.

For people who use multiple profiles, it would be great if there was an easy way to be able to use the same pref's across the board, by whatever means. It is a real pain having to set up each one, time after time especially those with a plethora of pref's.

Thanks again for the info regarding OPIE.
Cheers,
Keith
ake79

Post by ake79 »

keithy397 wrote:I have a question though, how will I know where the Pref Root is for other extensions that don't appear in the list? Will it appear in the install.rdf?

Pref root doesn't really appear anywhere except extension's default prefs file (it's under defaults/preferences/ directory).
Like this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eto.js#top
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Where would the file be located to which you refer?

I looked in the prefs.js and could see the savefileto prefs where savefileto@mozdev.org was repeated over and over, I assume for each pref.

*Edit* - Ah, it's ok, Found what you mean in the Extensions directory in the Profile. Trouble is, in there a lot of extensions are not identified by name, ugh!!
Cheers,
Keith
bob99

Post by bob99 »

Has this addon stopped working for you guys on firefox 8?
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

It's ok for me.
Cheers,
Keith
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Works for me. Can you clarify how it has stopped working. That is, what works and what doesn't?