Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
albeter

Suggested additional features to Mail Tweak

Post by albeter »

I would like to suggest the following additional features to Mail Tweak. [I am currently using v 0.12 w/ TB v 2.0.0.9]

1. In the message list folder, especially when the folder pane is also displayed, there is usually not enough room horizontally across the screen to display all the columns a user may wish to see. [This is the case even when the folder pane is hidden.] It would be very helpful to have a feature in which a horizontal scroll bar would appear if the widths of the columns exceed the available screen space. I have conducted an exhaustive search for an extension that provides this feature, but could not find any. I did come across posts in various forums where others were also looking for this feature.

2. Named folders in the Folder Pane are now arranged in alphabetical order. I find this to be very inconvenient. When I was using the old Netscape Messenger client application (v. 4x), it allowed the user to drag the folder and position it in anywhere in respect to the other folders. I found this to be very useful. I had a long list of folders and would position folders that were accessed more often near the top of the list. Implementing this feature in TB would definitely be a useful enhancement.

3. It would be very useful to have a feature that would indicate the total number of messages (and storage memory used) within a folder and sub-folders within. I would suggest that the Properties Dialog be an appropriate place to show this information.

Currently, the only similar information provided the user is for the messages in the root location of the folder. For instance, say I have a folder named “Dog” which has no messages in it, but it has the sub-folders “Spaniel” and “Collie”, which have 50 and 100 messages in each (respectively). Sub-folder Spaniel and Collie each have further sub-folders with messages in them. Currently, in the Folder Pane (if the Dog folder is collapsed) it shows no messages in the folder. If I expand the folder 1 level, it shows only the number of messages in the root level of the sub-folder only, not including the additional messages in the sub-folders beneath (e.g., 50 messages for folder Spaniel). If the folder structure is complex, with several layers of sub-folders, it is very difficult to quickly determine the quantity of messages one is storing.

4. Editing Unsent messages. If there is a message in the Unsent Folder that one wishes to edit [because there is an error or for whatever reason], it would be nice to have a feature that would allow editing the message without leaving a copy of the unedited message in the folder. Double clicking on the message should initiate the editing of the message [just as for messages in the Templates folder]; not just displaying it in its own window for viewing only, as is currently the case. Currently one has to use the context menu command “Edit as New” to edit the message; but a copy of the unedited message is left in the Unsent folder which must be manually deleted (very inconvenient).

Thank you for considering these suggestions for improvement of your useful extension.
Rod Whiteley

Re: Improvements to “Folder Pane Auto-Hide” tweak

Post by Rod Whiteley »

albeter wrote:I cannot drop the selected messages into another folder.
Yes, that's a problem. I'll look into it...

1. "...a horizontal scroll bar would appear..." A userChrome.css file can do that:

Code: Select all

#threadTree {min-width: 120em;}
#threadPaneBox  {overflow: auto;}
Adjust the 120 to suit.

2. "Named folders in the Folder Pane are now arranged in alphabetical order." Thunderbird developers have done some work on this, so it might be in a future release: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193314

3. "...total number of messages (and storage memory used) within a folder..." I don't think it really has a use, but on the other hand it might be easy...I'll take a look...

4. "Editing Unsent messages." I think the Header Tools extension can do that.
Rod
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Rod, the code you mention for adding a horizontal scroll bar causes the vertical scroll bar to slide off the right side of the screen on my 800x600 display. The vertical scroll bar can then be seen only by first scrolling the horizontal scroll bar, not an ideal situation.

I do like the horizontal scroll bar, but I'm not sure if I want to give up a visible vertical scroll bar to get it.

Is there a way to have both remain visible at all times? Thanks.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

if you want more horizontal space for the threadpane, try the wide thread view that comes with this.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jsonnabend

Post by jsonnabend »

I can't get the -opento command line to work. When I cut and paste the internal URI for a folder, a new instance of thunderbird fires up, but the folder pane is collapsed.

Anyone have any tips on getting this to work?

- Jeff
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

That happens if the URI is not right. After it fails, choose Tools – Error Console to see an error message that confirms this: NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH ... nsIMessenger.loadURL ... loadStartFolder ...

But if you see an error message that mentions mailtweak, please reply here with the full text.
Rod
jsonnabend

Post by jsonnabend »

Rod -

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've copied the folder's location from folder properties. My command line looks like this:

"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"  -opento "mailbox:/C|/Documents and Settings/Jeff.OFFICE1/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/o8u0ujqg.default/Mail/Local Folders/Work Folders.sbd/Clients.sbd/Jones"

I've tried other variations as well, all with no luck.

The error console shows the following:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIMessenger.loadURL]"  nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/msgMail3PaneWindow.js :: loadStartFolder :: line 1003"  data: no]

Thanks again for your continuing help. I'd love to make the move to Thunderbird, but this would be a showstopper for me, I'm afraid.

- Jeff
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

That's the folder's external location, not its internal URI. The internal URI should be something like:

mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Work%20Folders/Clients/Jones

and that is what you should see in the URI field in the Folder Properties dialog. If you really see the external location in the URI field, then that is a bug in Mail Tweak, but I have not been able to reproduce it here.
Rod
jsonnabend

Post by jsonnabend »

Rod -

Sorry, I re-ran the wrong URI. I have now run:

"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"  -opento "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Work%20Folders/Clients/Jones"

which resulted in the same behavior and gave the following error:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIMessenger.loadURL]"  nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/msgMail3PaneWindow.js :: loadStartFolder :: line 1003"  data: no]

- Jeff
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Thanks for providing all this information. Several things are going on here:
  • Mail Tweak has a bug that prevents this from working for Local Folders, but it works for most other accounts.
  • It looks like -opento is redundant, because -mail already does the same thing.
  • Thunderbird has a bug—it sometimes fails to open subfolders in this way.
  • Thunderbird has another bug—it does not focus the folder it has just opened.
I'll investigate further, and try to fix all this in the next release of Mail Tweak (0.14), probably at the weekend.
Rod
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Hi, there (probably) is an issue with the "permanent pen" features in userChrome.js: whitespaces are erroneously "eaten up".
Just in case anybody experiences the same issues with the "permanent pen" features in the mailtweak extension.

Rod, I have posted a reply in our original thread (more dedicated to permanent pen code for userChrome.js ) here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 00#3229700
Thanks
PatPowerMan

Post by PatPowerMan »

Rod: Have you ever got my translation?
(I've never seen an answer on that issue...)
chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

PatPowerMan wrote: (I've never seen an answer on that issue...)

which issue,PatPowerMan? Whitespace deletion or the translation ?
PatPowerMan

Post by PatPowerMan »

Sorry for the confusion: It's about my translation.
On 11.11.07 and 28.11.07 I wrote a mail to Rod but never got an answer.
Last edited by PatPowerMan on January 27th, 2008, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.