Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy KitchM,

you are welcome!

yes, there are some features that i will be missing. i figure i'll do what others have done and post here for alternatives. [*grin*] a lot of the formatting stuff is doable with css code snippets and the stylish extension, for instance.

see you later, then.

take care,
lee
Leedsfan

Post by Leedsfan »

It is a pity Mail Tweak has become abandonware. The thing I really liked was being able to hide Local Folders.
Is there any css code that will do it?
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

There is no css code to just hide the Local Folders that I know of. However, see the section 'Getting rid of Local Folders': http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders but it requires you to understand how account settings are stored in the prefs.js file and any mistakes can seriously mess up your profile. Try it at your own risk.
dobroslavrenaud

Post by dobroslavrenaud »

I can't get it working. Can someone lead me which page in this thread that has posted the detailed procedure. TIA
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Leedsfan,

as mad.engineer pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that with just css code. you might wanna post a request over in one of the extension-specific forums.
Extensions and Themes
this one, perhaps ...
Extension Development

an offer to send someone an small amazon gift card or a paypal payment might help. i once got a tweak that i wanted added for a $5 paypal donation in advance. [*grin*]

here's an addon that gets near to what you want and you might be able to get the author interested in adding an option to hide the local folders account.
Manually sort folders

finally, one way to get something like what you want is to use the 'favorite folders' view and simply NOT 'fave' the stuff you don't want to see.

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

dobroslavrenaud wrote:I can't get it working. Can someone lead me which page in this thread that has posted the detailed procedure. TIA

howdy dobroslavrenaud,

as has been pointed out, this addon is DEAD. [*grin*]

what feature are you wanting to use? perhaps someone has found an alternative and will share it with you.

take care,
lee
LeeBinder

Post by LeeBinder »

The only thing I was missing when TB deactivated Mail Tweak with the 5 upgrade was word (and character) count in the compose window. I was relying on that for sending SMS via email to Verizon customers, coz a SMS to those gets cut @ 140 chrs (beyond 140 chrs one would have to send to ..@vzwpix.com instead ..@vtext.com). Opened mailtweak-0.16.xpi with WinRar, edited install.rdf to maxVersion="5.*", saved, dragged mailtweak-0.16.xpi into the TB AddOn Tab, restarted, boom --> working again!

In case Mail Tweak at some point stops working completely (in TB 2032 ^^): does anybody know another word & character count TB XT?
Waterfox & Thunderbird | macOS Mojave & Big Sur
also installed but hardly ever use: Windows 10
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy LeeBinder,

glad you got it working! [*grin*] in addition to the maxversion bump trick, there are addons that can override the maxversion. take a look at this thread for a few of 'em ...
Using unsupported add-ons with TB 5.0

i currently prefer ACR, but others like NTT. MRTT [my former fave] is not likely to be updated in the near future.

as for word count addons, the only ones i can find are for firefox. you may be able to convince one of the authors to make a tbird version with the offer of a beer-money donation. [*grin*] lookee ...
Word Count Plus
Wordcount

take care,
lee

-ps
found an old post by rod whiteley with this link in it ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.js/Mail#Word_count
lee-
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

When bumping the max-version, I would go ahead and bump them up to something like 20.0. With the new six week release cycle, 5.* won't last long. :wink:
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

LeeBinder, unfortunately, MailTweak is one of those add-ons that don't work by simply bumping up it's version in the install.rdf file. Bumping the version will just let you install the add-on, but no guarantee that individual tweaks will work as expected. I tried it while playing with the TB 3.3 Alpha versions (3.3 is now 5.0). My experience was that some tweaks worked OK but some caused exceptions in TB and would not work at all. Hide Local Folders that I liked as well, worked OK, but since other tweaks did not, I gave up on MailTweak. Sad to see such an excellent add-on just become abandon ware :-(

As for your Word Count, you can do it using userChrome.js method. See the section "Word Count" at http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... Word_count for the details. This KB article has other tweaks as well in case you use them.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Ok, thanks for the sort by column lock alternative...

2 of my favorite tweaks - if anyone has an alternative, please speak up:

Hide folderpane (toggle) on mouseover

and

Hide MEssage Header pane (toggle) on mouseover
Don.a.dio

Post by Don.a.dio »

Hi relied on this add-on very much; I am willing to make a donation to get it working on 5.0. I mainly personalized email. If anyone knows how to still get the same functionality with 5.0, I would be much obliged. Thank you.
LeeBinder

Post by LeeBinder »

@ Lee: thank you for pointing me to ACR and NTT and for your hints with the FF XTs!

@ Lee and mad.engineer: UserChrome.js/Mail#Word_count only counts (as per label .. ;) ) WORDS - for the SMS via email feature I need CHARACTER count, remember? I would be capable of recoding that JavaScript to count characters but really do not feel like js coding right now. MailTweak character counts works for now.

@ Bozz: that would bastardize the PURPOSE behind the maxversion feature. Yes, it is mainly a feature (stability, reliability, security) NOT a nuisance. I do want to know if an XT is considered compatible, or not. That way if I encounter bugs with a new TB update I have a better handle at where to start debugging.

BTW, if anybody wants to mess with [profilefolder]/chrome/userChrome.js: the old userChrome XT does NOT work with TB 5 anymore, not even when force loading it via ACR or NTT etc. However, the new one does (when force loaded) http://userchromejs.mozdev.org/
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

LeeBinder wrote:@ Bozz: that would bastardize the PURPOSE behind the maxversion feature. Yes, it is mainly a feature (stability, reliability, security) NOT a nuisance. I do want to know if an XT is considered compatible, or not. That way if I encounter bugs with a new TB update I have a better handle at where to start debugging.

So what?? An extension is either gonna work or it's not and it doesn't matter whether you manually change the max-version every six weeks or 'make it compatible' it by other means.

The PURPOSE of bumping the max-version is to make it compatible so it will either install or maybe work and if code changes cause the extension not to work then that's the problem. Not the max-version. You would still have to investigate by disabling the extension(s) or by knowing what an extension is supposed to do and is obviously broken.

"Stability, reliability, security" is a moot point. You're not going to know any of those unless an extension is obviously broken or you go to wherever you downloaded the extension and see if something has been noted about it. Thunderbird will not tell you that. It's only going to disable it if the max-version isn't high enough for the version of Thunderbird you're installing. A lot of extensions are abandoned and don't get updated which most of the time only involves bumping the max-version anyway.

But you can go through all the motions every six weeks if you like. That's certainly up to you. :wink:
LeeBinder

Post by LeeBinder »

no have 2 - that's wot ACR n NTT r 4 :)