Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Bozz wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:
dewoepsm wrote:Would love to load this to get rid of the extra "TO" lines but will not install on 6.02. Will there be an update soon?

Matthew

howdy dewoepsm,

um, er, what extension are you talking about? mail tweak or Address Widget Lines? the 1st is not supported any more while the 2nd WILL install if you do it right. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

If it's about Address Widget Lines, Mathew should should perhaps post in Thunderbird Support for assistance with installing extensions.

[*grin*]
jworman

Post by jworman »

I didn't realize version 6.02 was out. I was still running version 6.00. I just upgraded and mail tweak is still hanging in there. I used jwilliamsen's procedure from Aug 21st 2011 5:30am, to install mail tweak into version 6.0. When I did the update, 6.02 had no complaints. The add-on compatibility reporter 0.9 seems to be up to date. I used mail tweak 1.0pre10. The add-ons manager says Mail Tweak is incompatible with 6.02, but it works.

When I punch "Write", my first line starts as :bcc, as well as subsequent lines unless I change them.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

jworman wrote:I didn't realize version 6.02 was out. I was still running version 6.00. I just upgraded and mail tweak is still hanging in there. I used jwilliamsen's procedure from Aug 21st 2011 5:30am, to install mail tweak into version 6.0. When I did the update, 6.02 had no complaints. The add-on compatibility reporter 0.9 seems to be up to date. I used mail tweak 1.0pre10. The add-ons manager says Mail Tweak is incompatible with 6.02, but it works.

When I punch "Write", my first line starts as :bcc, as well as subsequent lines unless I change them.

howdy jworman,

kool! glad to know that at least one very specific function is working.

take care,
lee
Paul-Devon

Post by Paul-Devon »

DoooH! Mail Tweak + TB 6.0.2 + Compatibility Reporter = Mail Tweak not working!

I used jwilliamsen's procedure from Aug 21st 2011 5:30am as recommended by jworman above. I unchecked ALL Mail Tweak options except Personalize Message which is the main reason for using this in the first place. I selected a message and clicked Message, Personalise as New..., the hourglass spun for a few seconds but nothing happened.

I would like to clarify that I do NOT use this for SPAM but for sending newsletters to subscribers. This is a MAJOR setback for me.

Has development of Mail Tweak stopped? If so, can anyone recommend an alternative that will enable me to send individualised newsletters?

This is such a shame as many of the other options are quite handy. For example, I installed it on my aged Mother-in-Law's TB to lock the column sort orders. She would insist on 'sorting' them and then complaining she could not find the latest message so I locked the date column - problem fixed PERMANENTLY ;-)

Why do Mozilla constantly 'improve' things by busting the bits that make the products worth using in the first place? I am getting to the point where I will stop upgrading and make do with what I have as the frequency of these issues are becoming unacceptably annoying. </rant
bsk713

Post by bsk713 »

I'm with you Paul D.

I use MailTweak primarily to Personalize, occasionally with an embedded JPG. However, I'm using TB3 because, from earlier posts, I see the MT developer has basically shut down shop. You get what you had, period. With updates knocking MT out of the box, I've stuck with TB3. I would like to see (and use) some of the newer TB features, but I don't want to lose MT's Personalize feature.
There is Mail Merge, but they don't allow you to embed JPGs. i haven't committed to accepting that as I'm not sure I want to be without that feature. I use it for my teams and often send screen shots. That wouldn't work for me going forward.
Frankly, I have so much email in my files that I don't want to 'test' it out with some of those end-around compatability routines and then have to fall back to TB3. I've played that game a few times in the past and it's just TOO time consuming.
Can anyone reach out and contact the MT GURU and ask them to consider working on MT again to bring it up to compatability with the latest TB6 in 2011?

UGH.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Paul-Devon,

the author of mail tweak dropped out of the forum some time ago. here's the info from his last post here ...
by Rod Whiteley
Mon, 2010-07-12, 02:33am

barring some truly odd circumstance, he will not ... i repeat ... NOT take up the addon again. someone way back in this thread managed to confirm that he didn't die and that he has chosen to get on with one of those "real life" thingies.

your only choices with tbird and mass mailings seem to be these ...
- go back to [or stay with ] a version of tbird that works with MT [as bsk713 seems to have done]
- use one of the mail merge / mass mailer addons
- use one of the external services to do your mass mailings

the other choice, of course, is to use another mail app. [*grin*]

sorry for the bad news, folks.

take care,
lee
Paul-Devon

Post by Paul-Devon »

bsk713 wrote:There is Mail Merge, but they don't allow you to embed JPGs. i haven't committed to accepting that as I'm not sure I want to be without that feature. I use it for my teams and often send screen shots. That wouldn't work for me going forward.

I have no option as I no longer have a TB3 installer. If I did, I would use a virtual machine just for that alone :-(

From the Mail Merge page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/mail-merge/;
Workaround: (Embedded Image)
Upload the Image to a Webserver, click "Insert -> Image" and enter the URL
Photobucket or any similar free image hosting should do for that.

Lee_Dailey wrote:the author of mail tweak dropped out of the forum some time ago.
sorry for the bad news, folks.

I guessed as much. The source seems to still be available - ANYONE?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Paul-Devon,

if you really want to move back to tb3.x then this otta do it ...
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbir ... easenotes/

here's the KB article on reverting to an older version ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird

as usual, back it up before you do anything! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Paul-Devon

Post by Paul-Devon »

@Lee_Dailey
Back to TB3 link - WOW! D/L as I type. I will install it in a virtual PC I have set up on my PC and use it solely for managing the monthly newsletters.

I WILL miss the other benefits of Mail Tweak in the TB6 I use for day to day stuff.

I understand that Mozilla feel threatened by Chrome etc. so are in a 'who can release the most updates race' but constantly breaking peoples installed apps is not the way to gain supporters.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Paul-Devon,

i'm glad to help! [*grin*]

as for the rapid release bit ... i like that they are releasing more often. i don't like that they are making "major" releases that are not major. tb5 should have been tb4 & tb6 should have been tb4.1, in my opinion. the same goes for firefox.

there are a lot of folks who dislike it. mozilla doesn't seem to care ... [*sigh ...*]

MT, tho, was doomed when the author decided to stop supporting it. it's too complex for anyone to easily take it up and the changes between tb2 and tb3 were already causing MT some occasional problems.

take care,
lee
mhowie

Post by mhowie »

Don't know whether it has been reported, but running Mail Tweak with TB7 causes a shift in the default cursor position for new email compositions. Instead of initially starting in the "To:" field it either doesn't appear at all or shows up in the email body area.

Thanks.
--Howie
Paddy Landau

Post by Paddy Landau »

I received an email today from Mail Merge asking me to say that it now supports embedded images.

I've tested it and it works.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Paddy Landau wrote:I received an email today from Mail Merge asking me to say that it now supports embedded images.

I've tested it and it works.

howdy Paddy Landau,

kool! [*grin*] thank you for the info.

take care,
lee
bsk713

Post by bsk713 »

I bit the bullet, and upgraded to TB6. (From TB3 !!!) I decided, based on Paddy's post, that I would use Mail Merge instead of MailTweak, being as MT is discontinued from updates...

I don't use it for much, just to mass mail my team but I do occasionally put images in the email itself.

I tested Mail Merge with TB6, embedded jpg, and it WORKS.

For those moving from Mail Tweak to Mail Merge, instead of surrounding fields in the email with %%FIELD%% surround them with {{FIELD}}

Also, put {{Email}} in the To: field.

Thanks Paddy for the post.
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

I'm also a huge fan of MT and sad to see it go away. May I make a suggestion to the MT users on this forum, since I see similar repeated questions here. Would it make sense to have someone who has the TB KB account and willing to create page that simply lists all the most commonly MT options used and their corresponding alternatives (if available)?. That would help everyone greatly :-). Thanks