Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Mail Tweak does not yet support automatic updates. As the updates mostly add new tweaks, updating automatically is not very useful. Even so, I have been thinking about adding this support in a future version for Thunderbird 3.

It is unlikely that Mail Tweak will ever be hosted on addons.mozilla.org.
Rod
Paddy Landau

Post by Paddy Landau »

Rod Whiteley wrote:As the updates mostly add new tweaks, updating automatically is not very useful.

Well, I would love to know about the new tweaks!

Perhaps you could add a post to this list every time that you release a new update? That way, we can "Watch this topic for replies" to get an automatic notification.

Rod Whiteley wrote:It is unlikely that Mail Tweak will ever be hosted on addons.mozilla.org.

Any particular reason?

I found your Mail Tweak only after extensive searching for something to "Personalize messages" for bulk emails to my colleagues. I'm sure that many others would appreciate finding this (and others of your tweaks) more easily!
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Yes, I understand that some people would like to know about new tweaks, so ideally the auto-update would provide that information. Alternatively, you could use a web page watcher to monitor the Tweaks page.

I have had trouble with the addons site in the past, making me reluctant to use it again without good reason.

I agree that I could do more to publicize the tweaks. Personalize is now mentioned in a knowledge base article about mail merge, and people who ask about that kind of thing in the support forum now tend to be sent there.
Rod
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

brilliant extension, so many good ideas! this has almost instantly become one of the ones that i give to all new users.

thought i'd let you know about one conflict that took me a while to find:

the Collected Reply option breaks H.Ogi's Check and Send extension.

other than this, all good. thanks!
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Thank you for your comments, and for letting me know about the conflict.

The conflict involves two separate problems. One is a bug in Mail Tweak, which I think I have fixed in the latest preview version: 1.0pre2

I think the actual conflict is more easily fixed in Check and Send. I made a patched version that you can try: chksend0810_MT.xpi

I have only tested these a little. It would be helpful if you can test them some more and let me know how it goes. If the patch causes no additional problems, then I will ask Ogi-san to consider adopting it.
Rod
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

thanks i appreciate that - have installed them and it seems to be fine. will let you know if any more issues turn up.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

ok sorry for not getting back sooner but there is a major problem - collected reply now breaks sending completely! there is no "copy to sent items" and no send. sorry for not reporting earlier!
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

It seems to work for me using Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 on Windows, MailTweak 1.0pre2 and the patched Check and Send 0.8.10MT.

I selected two messages, pressed the Reply button, and pressed the Send button. Check and Send complained that there was no To: address, which was OK because both recipients were Bcc. Then MailTweak put the message in my Unsent Messages folder and immediately sent it from there.

But perhaps it depends on the options you set in Check and Send, or on something else...
Rod
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

this is using IMAP, and Collect Reply definitely breaks sending.. nasty.. not sure what other option could be relevant sorry?
2.0.0.14 on Windows XP
please let me know what else could be useful
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Ah yes, there's a problem in IMAP folders. I'll look into it...
Rod
makruiten

Post by makruiten »

When I sort my mail on labels, it automatically sorts date upside down (so oldest on top, newest bottom). Is it possible to add a feature to fix this?
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

No, but Thunderbird 3 will be able to do what you want—first sort by date in the way you want, then sort by tag.
Rod
j1983world

how about including batch sending / delayed sending?

Post by j1983world »

i have used mail tweak for some time and have to say it is a good extension. just wondering if there is any tweak that allows user to send files in batches? or some kind of delayed sending for emails?
Scenario is this: i regularly send newsletters to customers and usually i use the 'personalise' tweak in mailtweak to do that. however, some customers emails belong to the same mail server and if within a specified period say 1 min if more than a certain no. of emails are sent to the same server from the same email address, that email address is treated as spam-mailer and blocked.
1 way to circumvent this on my side will be if there is something that can help me send a user-specified number of emails from the outbox at user-specified time intervals. any idea?
Mister_America_man

Mail Tweak: mass mail sending - how to Achieve?

Post by Mister_America_man »

hi there - good day to all

i am very very new to T-Bird. And i love it! Well i need a mass mail option that runs in t-bird.
I needed a way to send mails to multiple recipient at once.

Some user told me that the mail-tweak-extension provide the wanted solution and much more ;-)
MY goal: have to send maany customers at once. I want to send 100 mails -to customrs that are in one adress-book provided on mozilla. How to achieve that!? How to do that!?`

BTW - i want to personalize the mails also - i have seen allready the feature of
personalisation... with the %% signs. That is great.Is it possible to personalize the outgoing mass mails

Well to spell it out: I think that the mass-mail-feature of Mailtweak is able to send
a message to the recipients of a whole adressbook - with only one step of startng the procedure.,
Is this correct.

please answer soon - i loook forward to hear from you

thx .
best regards
mam

many thanks for all you do - you are a great guy - that is very supportve on mo zilla.
btw - what can the contact-sidebar do for me. is this poossible with the contact-sidebar to add more functionality?

update: two ours later: a first test of the personalization failed pooorly

hello my dear dear %Name%

hou have the following Adrese - the email-adresse here it come
%primaryEmail&

here the name of the department will appear - ich will bei ihrer

department% arbeiten
many thankx for all

well nothin went well - all failed what happened. I am completley clueless.
Question: do i have to restart the T-bird after activation of the Personalzation feature in the Toolbar!?
Last edited by Mister_America_man on June 25th, 2008, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister_America_man

Re:

Post by Mister_America_man »

Hi there well mailtweak is great - bu i have some troubles.

i uplaodet adresses by importing them to the adress book with the importer of t-Bird. So far so good. My adress-book has only two (impoortant) fields. There are no more fields in - only those:#

- Company

well - that are all the fields i have to use... No more than those two.
Well, how to proceed now - i want to send personalized mails; what do i have to do now: i have heard bout the %% signs to assign the specify the field. How to do that?

Hooonza wrote:Hi khc7, I test to use CVS file with more fields (separated by ",") and that fields are named randomly (independetly on nsIAbCard) and I use names of that fields in a mail - and it works! E.g.:

email,name
first@email.foo,John
second@email.foo,Peter
third@email.foo,Mike

I write a personalized test mail with this text: Hallo %%name%%!
And it works! I get 3 mails to three e-addresses: "Hallo John!", "Hallo Peter!", "Hallo Mike!"

So I go upon it and think you can have a field named e.g. "mail" in your CSV file and if you modify the "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to" to the "mail" value it should work. You should modify the "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.charset" to specify the charset of the CSV file maybe too?
Test it please and let me know. h

what is this: "extension.mailtweak.personal.csv.to" - what do i have to do here!?`i have no glue. I am clueless - really. Do i have to do something with this here? Please lemme know!

the second question is: How to start the mass-sending to a whole adress-book - let me say to 100 recipients... What do i have to do here....?

look forward to hear from you.. Any and all ideas were greatly appreciated

thx
MAM

btw - keep up the great project.

update: running into timeout - when trying to send out a personalized message - what should it do!?

this thread is interesting - also run into time-out troubles when trying to send a mail with 1meg attachment (as a personalized mail) to only one recipient. My ISP sends back an SMTP-Server timeout.....

Well - i am musing bout the troubles. What can cause the troubles? Can the

a. personalization be the reason for the timeout. Well i am complete clueless. NEED your advice..

thanks in advance
regards
mam

update:the personalization comes with a delayed message - well can it be that this delay has some thing to do with the damned TIME-OUT,... look forward to hear from you