Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
vandy013

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by vandy013 »

Lee_Dailey, thanks for the suggestion, however, this seems to be a little bit different feature. The show_send_progress option lets you see the progress of the email being sent, or turn this feature off. However, with Collected Reply, all messages are sent through the outbox, and thus disappear from view and are sent "behind the scenes" you might say. show_send_progress is only effective if the email is not sent through the outbox. I confirmed this by playing around with the settings.
bsk713

Post by bsk713 »

Does MailTweak work with TB 6?
rik-shaw

Post by rik-shaw »

I just upgraded to TB6 (Ubuntu 32 bit). I added the "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" as suggested so that MT would work. I then "disabled all tweaks" except the "Personalize" option (the one I need). I restarted, selected "Message | Personalize" from the menu and get the following error in the "error console":

Error: MailTweakService is not defined
Source File: chrome://mailtweak/content/messenger.js
Line: 707

I am guessing this means it is "not compatible with TB 6". I am confused as to if this add-on is being developed anymore. I saw other references to contacting a different developer regarding the "tweaks" wanted to see if he/she could add them. Is this the best hope for a tweak such as the "Personalize" option?

iveand
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

vandy013 wrote:Lee_Dailey, thanks for the suggestion, however, this seems to be a little bit different feature. The show_send_progress option lets you see the progress of the email being sent, or turn this feature off. However, with Collected Reply, all messages are sent through the outbox, and thus disappear from view and are sent "behind the scenes" you might say. show_send_progress is only effective if the email is not sent through the outbox. I confirmed this by playing around with the settings.

howdy vandy013,

now i'm really confused. [*grin*]

you are correct that the send progress essentially undoes the outbox idea. this entry ...
mailnews.sendInBackground

... controls that sort of thing. that is part of what the devs are doing to make sending a bit smoother. background sending and showing msg sending progress are mutually exclusive. well, i think they are. take a look here ...
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Te ... Background

...for a bit of background on it.

from your earlier msg ...
I like to watch the message as it is sent so I know if it hangs or sends right away, but I'm not going to use the file menu every time.

what is it you want from this? you can either get a msg-sending display or not and now i can't figure out which you want - or if that really was your point at all. [*blush*]

take care,
lee
rik-shaw

Post by rik-shaw »

PS to my previous comment about mainly hoping for a "personalize" tweak. The "MAIN" problem with "Mail Merge" is that there is an error that prevents the attaching of inline images. Big negative in my opinion. This is way the "Personalize" option of MT was so "good". Will go over an see if Mail Merge has worked on this issue recently....
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

crikey! missed your post from a few minutes ago. otta refresh the display more often ... [*grin*]

howdy iveand,

the personalize functions from MT don't work in tb5+. you need one of the new[er] mass mailing addons. i think they stopped working earlier than that, but i aint sure. by reading back several pages in this thread, you can find at least two replacement addons. this one ...
Mail Merge

... is the 1st that showed up in a search of the mozilla addons site here ...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

hope that helps,
lee
rik-shaw

Post by rik-shaw »

Lee,

Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry I forgot to mention that I had already checked out Mail Merge previously. Just re-checked and it seems that the inability to use "embedded images" still exists for Mail Merge (at least the developer clearly notes this limitation on the homepage for the add-on).

Thanks again,

iveand
vandy013

Post by vandy013 »

Lee_Dailey wrote:what is it you want from this? you can either get a msg-sending display or not and now i can't figure out which you want - or if that really was your point at all. [*blush*]

Collected Reply is great because, as http://mailtweak.mozdev.org/tweaks.html#collect states:
When you select more than one message to reply to, this tweak composes a single message in reply to all the selected messages.
So, only by having collected reply enabled can I reply to multiple messages with just one single reply email.

However, another feature of Collected Reply is that it sends all messages in the background through the outbox, which I don't want to do. In short, I don't like background sending, but it seems that it's either both (group reply and background sending) or neither; I can't have the group reply option without background sending too.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy vandy013,

thanks for clarifying that, it helps.

have you tried resetting the background pref in tbird after the MT collected reply stuff is enabled? i wonder if MT checks that at each use. it pro'ly does since the author was apparently quite careful to make things work as needed and not to add unneeded stuff. still, it seems worth your time to try.

also, from reading the posts by iveand, MT be be REALLY broken with tb6. i haven't switched to tb6 yet and i'm not using MT anymore, so that's another thing to watch for.

are you interested in programming? a previous poster makes it seem that MT is modular enuf that one might be able to dissect it and pull out only what one wants. there may be a way to set the "send & watch" stuff to on-by-default in the code if someone who codes can be convinced to take a look at that part.

i doubt you can find anyone willing to take over the WHOLE MT addon, but there is a chance you might find someone willing to work on a chunk of it ...

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

iveand wrote:Lee,

Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry I forgot to mention that I had already checked out Mail Merge previously. Just re-checked and it seems that the inability to use "embedded images" still exists for Mail Merge (at least the developer clearly notes this limitation on the homepage for the add-on).

Thanks again,

iveand

howdy iveand,

you are welcome! [*grin*] even if i didn't do anything much ...

have you contacted the addons author? he may be willing to take a look at it - especially if you point out the MT is [apparently] open source and he can grab code from it as desired.

take care,
lee

-ps
reading thru the addon page i saw the problem you pointed out. then i saw this ...
Workaround: (Embedded Image)
Upload the Image to a Webserver, click "Insert -> Image" and enter the URL

can you use that? perhaps put the image in a shared dropbox location or even in a google pages webpage ...

lee-
bsk713

Post by bsk713 »

Does Mail Tweak work with TB 5 ? I'm currently using TB 3 and would upgrade, but without MailTweak working, I will stick with TB 3. I really like the Personalize feature, and yes, like to have the ability to embed images, without uploading images first. I use cut and paste a lot in my emails that I Personalize.
mad.engineer

Post by mad.engineer »

If you modify the install.rdf in MT, it will let you install it. But there is no guarantee that any/all tweaks will work as expected in TB 5 and beyond. For me, Hide Local Folders worked, but then many others broke and caused issues. The only way to tell would be to install MT, then disable all the tweaks, then enable one at a time and see if it works. I've since stopped using MT altogether. Sad to see such a good add-on go abandon ware.
Last edited by mad.engineer on August 17th, 2011, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bsk713,

[1] as mad.engineer said, there is no certainty what will or won't work if you do install MT into tb5.

[2] there is a better way to force it to install, here ...
Add-on Compatibility Reporter

[3] mass mail & embedded images
looks like that aint gonna happen. [*sigh ...*] you can try asking the author of the "mail merge" addon and see if he will add it. or you can use the workaround he mentions and use something like dropbox for the images.

not nice, but it looks like that's your only choice for right now.

take care,
lee
John_Ha

Re: Mail Tweak - No alternate text for inserting images is f

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:Lee

- request way to set default to no alternate text for inserting images
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353205

I have posted to the bug report the fact that Mail Tweak no longer works with TB v5 and I hope it will re-open the discussion and lead to a fix.

Good news - the alternate text problem has been fixed in TB and is awaiting approval for release.

If I understand it correctly, the fix makes your selection of No alternate text "sticky" so next time you insert an image, it is already selected, and you don't have to. I do not know whether any text you type into the Alternate Text field is also "sticky" as ideally it would be nice to do what MailTweak does and make that text "sticky" too - we will have to wait and see.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy John_Ha,

thanks for the note. it looks like the fix won't be here until tb9 but at least they finally fixed it. [*grin*]

as for the "sticky alt. text" idea, why don't you ask in the bug? that seems a legit comment. i suspect it isn't part of the fix and would need a new bug to request that function.

take care,
lee