Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
John_Ha

Re: Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Post by John_Ha »

Lee

I have asked whether the fix also makes the text sticky, and if not, asked for it to be added.

They have asked approval for the fix to go into TB 7 and 8 as well, so it might be here sooner than 9.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy John_Ha,

kool! [*grin*] here's hoping ...

take care,
lee
jwilliamsen

Post by jwilliamsen »

I seem to have been able to make BCC the default sending method in TB6 by first installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter then downloading the Mail Tweak 1.0pre10.xpi file and using the Install Add-on From File functionality (from the "gear" menu next to the search box on the Add-ons Manager tab). I clicked on the Mail Tweak options (add-ons Manager>Extensions - it warns you it's incompatible) and unchecked everything except BCC by Default and sent a few test messages - and it appears to be working (crosses fingers).

I find it kind of ridiculous that this isn't a setting available in TB - it's a no-brainer IMO.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jwilliamsen,

thanks for the info about tb6, MT & that specific tweak. hopefully others will benefit from it.

as for the BCC default in tbird, i don't use that and suspect it's a relatively rare use case. not that i think it should not be done, just that it aint likely to get done anytime soon in the core tbird code. i looked for something like it in bugzilla [enhancements are bugs there [*grin*]] and found nothing that fits.

if you feel strongly that it might do well in tbird, you might want to make a bug in bugzilla.
Bugzilla User's Guide
Filing Bugs

i did find this, tho ...
- Default header field for mailing multiple addresses is "To:", should be "Bcc:"
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=603712

IMPORTANT!
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
jworman

Post by jworman »

Hi Lee,

I'm surprised to see how little interest there seems to be in making :BCC the default in email addressing. If you send out a message to multiple people, it's such a security risk to send out all the email addresses with the message. IF you remember to put :BCC in the first address, Thunderbird will continue to use it for that message. Unfortunately, all too often I forget to add it to the fist recipient. My problem, I admit.

I don't seem to be smart enough to make jwilliamsen's procedure work with MailTweak, or at least not on the first couple of attempts.

All of this worked fine, way back in the old days. It went away back in version 3 has not been offered as a configuration option.

It's probably good that I've never been invited to sit at the table with the developers of Thunderbird. I suspect I'd be banging my fist (or head) on the table, trying to understand the thinking on this issue.

I also think you are correct about it will probably not ever be fixed. I looked at the link you provided, above and I found that counting mine, it has 2 votes.

I guess my options are to

!: Learn to program and fix it myself. (Not too likely)
2: Start looking for an email program that suits me better. (I dislike that option too, but this is an issue that REALLY annoys me).

Thank you for the information.
jworman

Post by jworman »

Ah, I should have posted option 3!

Reread jwilliamsen's instructions. Try again. According to the add on screen, it is incompatible, but by golly it works.

Now I can address Firefox's flawed (to me) logic on tabs.

Thank you jwilliamsen!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jworman,

this extension ...
Use Bcc Instead

... looks like it ALMOST does what you want. if i understand it correctly, it will check for more than a certain number of non-bcc'd addresses and either warns you or stops the msg.

you might want to contact the author and see if it can be made to SET the addresses to BCC instead of simply warning about it. you might want to point the author at MT for a how-to example.

take care,
lee
jworman

Post by jworman »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy jworman,

this extension ...
Use Bcc Instead

... looks like it ALMOST does what you want. if i understand it correctly, it will check for more than a certain number of non-bcc'd addresses and either warns you or stops the msg.

you might want to contact the author and see if it can be made to SET the addresses to BCC instead of simply warning about it. you might want to point the author at MT for a how-to example.

take care,
lee

Thanks Lee, but I'm finally golden now. I reread jwilliamsen's instructions. Mail Tweak shows up as not-compatible, but by golly it does what I want it to do.

Thank you,

John
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy John,

kool, dude! [*grin*] glad you got things working.

take care,
lee
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Bozz wrote:Address Widget Lines 1.0 is now available at AMO.

Address Widget Lines provides the ability to select the number of address lines to display in the message compose window. Select from 1 line up 12 lines.

Thanks, man! Exactly what i was looking for. Image
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Kitefighter wrote:
Bozz wrote:Address Widget Lines 1.0 is now available at AMO.

Address Widget Lines provides the ability to select the number of address lines to display in the message compose window. Select from 1 line up 12 lines.

Thanks, man! Exactly what i was looking for. Image

You're welcome and thanks for the Review over at AMO. :)
dewoepsm

Post by dewoepsm »

Would love to load this to get rid of the extra "TO" lines but will not install on 6.02. Will there be an update soon?

Matthew
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

dewoepsm wrote:Would love to load this to get rid of the extra "TO" lines but will not install on 6.02. Will there be an update soon?

Matthew

I have no problem installing it on 6.02. How are you trying to install it?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

dewoepsm wrote:Would love to load this to get rid of the extra "TO" lines but will not install on 6.02. Will there be an update soon?

Matthew

howdy dewoepsm,

um, er, what extension are you talking about? mail tweak or Address Widget Lines? the 1st is not supported any more while the 2nd WILL install if you do it right. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

Lee_Dailey wrote:

Matthew

howdy dewoepsm,

um, er, what extension are you talking about? mail tweak or Address Widget Lines? the 1st is not supported any more while the 2nd WILL install if you do it right. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

If it's about Address Widget Lines, Mathew should perhaps post in Thunderbird Support for assistance with installing extensions.
Last edited by Bozz on September 11th, 2011, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.