Mail Tweak (for Thunderbird)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

%%firstname%% is not a field in the address book, but %%firstName%% is.
Rod
sharachchandra

Some possible improvements

Post by sharachchandra »

Dear Rod,

I am new to Mail Tweak and to this forum. Have tried to scan earlier conversations to ensure that I am not repeating stuff, but may have missed something, so apologies in advance for repetitions and stupid questions.

1. Thanks for a great extension. (I am sure u dont mind this repetition)

2. Saving a copy of msg sent: Have you seen the really cute extension "Copy sent to current"? That has many additional features.

3. But a further improvement on even that extension would be to implement the PINE approach: Associate an "FCC" with each entry in the addressbook. So whem you compose a msg, the FCC (file name in which to save Cc) value gets automatically filled in the "Save msg in" field. This really helps.

4. Tags: Is it possible to change not just font colour of the tagged msg header, but also the background of the header? Would make differences really stand out.

Thanks.
Sharachchandra
mickos

Post by mickos »

Hi Rod, I've been using mailtweak for 3-4 months, mainly for the 'personalise' feature - it is great! It's probably not best practice, I send a nightly collector's cut'n paste list individually to 260 guys with it. I don't want to muck about with a bulk mailer if I can help it. The only nuisance I've found is that Thunderbird's script warning times out once or maybe twice while it's putting together the mails - which isn't mailtweak's fault.

I wanted to specify no copy kept just for the daily digest being sent out, in the end I settled for creating a separate identity that sends copies straight to trash. I tried setting "Copy sent to current" to make no copy, but the unsent message count went down by twos & the folder started disappearing queued entries. Anyway, that's a another story - I basically just wanted to thank you for creating such a great extension & tell you it's really useful,

cheers,
mick
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

sharchchandra and mickos: It's good to know that Mail Tweak is useful for you.

sharchchandra: Different people have different requirements and preferences for filing messages. In general, the address book is difficult to integrate, although what you suggest is certainly possible. Thunderbird reserves the background colour to identify the selected row. Even so, a theme or userChrome.css can change the backgrounds.

mickos: For more information about the timeout see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Script_busy_o ... responding
Rod
mickos

Post by mickos »

Many thanks again, Rob! -mick
Lupatrian

TBird V3pre

Post by Lupatrian »

I'm using Mail Tweak w/TBird 3.0a1pre
FYI: Send Without Subject & Keep a Copy Prompt are not working.
I'll try again after V3 is officially released.

Excellent extension - thanks!
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Yes, Thunderbird 3 breaks a lot of things. I have a Mail Tweak update in preparation. It should work in both Thunderbird 2 and Thunderbird 3. If you would like to try it with Thunderbird's nightly test builds, let me know and I'll build it at the weekend.
Rod
Lupatrian

Re:

Post by Lupatrian »

Naw - don't make any extra effort. That was just an FYI for your next update, in case you didn't know about those issues. I'm a new-ish beta user, anyway. If you ever need a tester, though: L U P A T R I A N at VERIZON . net
Thanks again.
Killjay

Post by Killjay »

An update on Tbird. The nightlies are going to be branded "Shredder" and now that the Tb 3.0a1 developers evaluation build has cleared QA, shipping should be soon. The trunk is now open as Tb 3.0a2 Pre.

So far I have had good results using MT 0.15, particularly the Folder Account Name icon swap. It's so much easier than the previous userChrome.js method. I greatly appreciate you packaging tricks like that into a neat easy to use bundle.
Killjay
Tower, request takeoff clearance, branch 3.0
Thunderbird cleared for takeoff, flyby @ mach 3.0b3 authorized
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Yes, I see it has been released. I'll make a Mail Tweak update available in the next couple of days.
Rod
donadio.j

Options Window Freezing

Post by donadio.j »

Hi, I just installed mail tweak, but when I try to check the functions I want in the options window, it constantly freezes and won't let me apply any of the changes I want. Is there something I can do differently to fix this? My main objective is to enable Personalize messages. Thank you.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

As an experiment, choose Tools – Error Console before you try to check the options. Perhaps you will see an error message that provides some clue.

As another experiment, try it in a new profile.

As a third experiment, try using the Config Editor to set the preference: extension.mailtweak.personal to true, then restart Thunderbird and Personalize might work.
Rod
donadio.j

Solved!

Post by donadio.j »

Yeah, actually it seems on my work computer I am using version 1.8.2, so that's probably part of the problem. However, setting the extension value to true worked perfectly!!! I am so happy I found a way how to do this! Thank you so much for your quick response, and the quality of your program and advice. It is very helpful in my job to be able to use mail merge.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

For anyone testing Shredder (Thunderbird 3 alpha), I made a preview build of Mail Tweak. It has no new tweaks, just fixes for some things that Shredder broke. Some other things still need to be fixed. See: http://mailtweak.mozdev.org/installation.html#download

Note that using any extensions makes testing more complicated, because when you find a bug you have to work out whether it is a Thunderbird bug or an extension bug. At this stage, I think it is much more important to find and report Thunderbird bugs.
Rod
Paddy Landau

Post by Paddy Landau »

I've been using Mail Tweak for a long time. I installed it primarily for the excellent "Personalize messages" function (thank you!), and have found many of its other features useful.

I was totally unaware that Mail Tweak had been through various updates since I installed it, as I just assumed that Thunderbird's automatic Add-on update would catch them. It doesn't do this with Mail Tweak. Is that because Mail Tweak is not on Thunderbird's default Add-on pages?

How do I ensure that I always get the latest updates?