SQLite Manager - Extension for Firefox, Sunbird, Flock, etc.

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I've gotten SQLite Manager 0.2.8.3 working in SeaMonkey and Thunderbird. Actually getting it to work in Thunderbird was trivial. All I needed to do was to fix a typo or two in chrome.manifest. I also fixed the sm_openURL() function so that it will work in non-browsers like Thunderbird and Sunbird (by launching the OS default browser). This means that the "Help" links will work in TB and SB (and possibly in eMusic Remote).

The modified version can be found here: http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#sqlitemanager
Changelog:
+ Repacked in .jar file format.
+ Added install.js.
+ Updated install.rdf and chrome.manifest for SuiteRunner.
+ Updated install.rdf and chrome.manifest for Thunderbird (fix typos).
+ Added contents.rdf to content, locale and skin directories.
+ Forked smoverlay.xul -> smoverlay-sm.xul for SeaMonkey.
+ see diff file for details of changes to files.
Diff file: jar:http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/diffs.zip!/sqlitemanager0283.diff

Phil
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

Philip Chee wrote:I've gotten SQLite Manager 0.2.8.3 working in SeaMonkey and Thunderbird. Actually getting it to work in Thunderbird was trivial. All I needed to do was to fix a typo or two in chrome.manifest. I also fixed the sm_openURL() function so that it will work in non-browsers like Thunderbird and Sunbird (by launching the OS default browser). This means that the "Help" links will work in TB and SB (and possibly in eMusic Remote).

The modified version can be found here: http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#sqlitemanager
Changelog:
+ Repacked in .jar file format.
+ Added install.js.
+ Updated install.rdf and chrome.manifest for SuiteRunner.
+ Updated install.rdf and chrome.manifest for Thunderbird (fix typos).
+ Added contents.rdf to content, locale and skin directories.
+ Forked smoverlay.xul -> smoverlay-sm.xul for SeaMonkey.
+ see diff file for details of changes to files.
Diff file: jar:http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/diffs.zip!/sqlitemanager0283.diff

Phil

Thanks Phil. Especially for the thunderbird fix. That had taken a lot of my time.
Also, thanks for the changes you made to sm_openURL() function and to files like preferences.xul and about.xul. Now, I want your permission to include these in my extension.
abotanton

Post by abotanton »

hi
i want to learn about sql, what i can do with it?
mrinal.kant

Post by mrinal.kant »

abotanton wrote:hi
i want to learn about sql, what i can do with it?

If you wish to create a database, you would normally use some database management system (DBMS). DBMS will allow you to use SQL to manipulate the database structure and the data stored therein. Of course, many other things too.

If you are creating a simple application that needs to remain lightweight and does not need to be shared by many users at the same time, then sqlite is a good DBMS to choose. A lot of data for your firefox profile is stored in sqlite database files. Firefox 3 will depend even more on sqlite than now. From what I can make out, sqlite is gaining a lot of popularity and use. Given the above, a GUI tool for managing the sqlite database is necessary. This extension allows you to do so from within firefox or any other target application listed at sqlitemanager.mozdev.org
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrinal.kant wrote:Thanks Phil. Especially for the thunderbird fix. That had taken a lot of my time.
Also, thanks for the changes you made to sm_openURL() function and to files like preferences.xul and about.xul. Now, I want your permission to include these in my extension.
In the spirit of open source, you are more than welcome to take back all my changes into your extension. And speaking as an old Oracle hand, your extension reminds me of the Oracle T.O.A.D. utility that I used to use extensively.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Code: Select all

+        // If there is no recently used browser window 
+        // then open new browser window with the URL
         var ass = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/appShellService;1"]
                             .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIAppShellService);
         var win = ass.hiddenDOMWindow;

win.openDialog("chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul", "",
                        "chrome,all, dialog=no", UrlToGoTo );
     }
Um I forgot to mention that "chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul" is SeaMonkey specific. You should use getBrowserURL() instead which (if running in a browser app) should return the chrome URL of the browser window. In Firefox's case it's "chrome://browser/content/browser.xul".

Phil
webber123456

remote databases

Post by webber123456 »

will this allow me to manage a remote database, such as one located with a webhost ?
Philip Chee

Re: remote databases

Post by Philip Chee »

webber123456 wrote:will this allow me to manage a remote database, such as one located with a webhost ?
NO.

Phil
drexton

Add Record window

Post by drexton »

I just downloaded this program a week ago, and it was working fine at first. In the last 2 or 3 days, when I try to add a record, the window comes up collapsed at the very top of the program window. It nearly invisible, all that shows up is about a 2 pixel wide drop down shadow in the main window. Occasionally if I click in just the right spot I can get the drop down window to expand, but usually this proves impossible. I can still add records, but I have to do it blind. Is this a problem with the program or my browser? I'm on Firefox 2.0.0.7 on Mac OS 10.5.

Thanks
mrinal.kant

Re: Add Record window

Post by mrinal.kant »

drexton wrote:I just downloaded this program a week ago, and it was working fine at first. In the last 2 or 3 days, when I try to add a record, the window comes up collapsed at the very top of the program window. It nearly invisible, all that shows up is about a 2 pixel wide drop down shadow in the main window. Occasionally if I click in just the right spot I can get the drop down window to expand, but usually this proves impossible. I can still add records, but I have to do it blind. Is this a problem with the program or my browser? I'm on Firefox 2.0.0.7 on Mac OS 10.5.

Thanks

The problem is with the program. I have been already told about this problem. The problem occurs only on Mac OS. But having no access to a Mac machine anymore, I am unable to find why it is happening. It would help if you could let me know the version number of the extension when it was working alright. That might help. But, as of now, I have no access to a Mac machine. I am looking for someone who can test this extension on a Mac.
drexton

Post by drexton »

mrinal.kant wrote:
The problem is with the program. I have been already told about this problem. The problem occurs only on Mac OS. But having no access to a Mac machine anymore, I am unable to find why it is happening. It would help if you could let me know the version number of the extension when it was working alright. That might help. But, as of now, I have no access to a Mac machine. I am looking for someone who can test this extension on a Mac.

I don't recall the version that was working for me, but it was about 2 or 3 updates ago. I downloaded the program for the first time between one and two weeks ago, and it was working fine then. I put it aside, and started playing with it again yesterday, and most of the options no longer work- adding records, adding tables, etc. Is there any debug information that I can provide you with? In the meantime I will see if I can find a windows machine to work on.

Thanks
murfie

A bug?

Post by murfie »

Hi !
I have just downloaded sqlite manager 0.2.8.5 : great extension ! But I found out that it is impossible to create a table through the "create table" toolbar (tried on FF 2.0.0.9 and sunbird 0.7 under Windows XP).
I could manage to create a table only by running the sql command.
tiliqua

Horizontal scroll bars

Post by tiliqua »

Great extension!

Could you possibly add a horizontal scroll bar to the Browse & Search tab? (or am i just missing something and need to figure out how to turn it on... ;) One of my tables has ~30+ columns and they disappear off the right side of the screen.

Edit:WinXP, Firefox 2.0.0.9, SQLite Manager 0.2.8.5
Last edited by tiliqua on November 21st, 2007, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shantanuo

Post by shantanuo »

drexton wrote:It nearly invisible, all that shows up is about a 2 pixel wide drop down shadow in the main window. Occasionally if I click in just the right spot I can get the drop down window to expand, but usually this proves impossible.

Same with Ubuntu.
shantanuo

Ubuntu?

Post by shantanuo »

On Ubuntu OS:
The add/ Edit record opens a pop-up window with correct width. But the height of the window is anywhere between 0-5 px. I have to resize it and then update the record.