Firefox Extension - OpenBook 2.0.0.0 [2008-03-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

Woo! The dialog is useful again (though I actually don't remember if it was useful back in the day).

Thanks, chu. =D>
Sam FT

Post by Sam FT »

There is one bug that I have find with this. When you uncheck or turn off the option "Show recently used folders dropdown box" and go add a bookmark. The Add Bookmark window continue to grow getting longer and longer each time you add a bookmark.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Hmm...you're right. I'll try to get that fixed. Thanks for the bug report!
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
djmaniak777

Post by djmaniak777 »

would it be possible in the 'advanced use' options to choose another folder rather than the root folder to have all bookmarks saved to?
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Excellent extension: it's up there in the top 5 for me! If they really do want Fx to get a mainstream following they will embed this in the main app. The way the default Add Bookmark dialog doesn't show the tree and defaults to the Bookmarks Toolbar folder is just ridiculous.

Did you know this extension doesn't appear on extensionroom.mozdev.org? It really should!

Brausepaul wrote:would you be interested in writing an extension that closes opened bookmark folders in the sidebar when the user opens a closed folder (like the IE handles its favorites)?

Shame this is proving to be problematic; it would be a great feature.

I've got just a couple of ideas for improvements:

Set a minimum width on the dialog so that you can't get the nasty thing where when you set it too narrow half the content is pushed off the right-hand side? (This is a fault of most of Fx's dialogs AFAIK and it makes the whole app look a bit unprofessional. Perhaps I should be asking this question higher up the development chain ;-) )

Remove the twister (the little expanding plus/minus symbol) from folders which don't have subfolders; they are unnecessary and they fool me think that I've got subfolders when I haven't.

Thanks.
Last edited by Mozcerize on August 30th, 2004, 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Sam FT and djmaniak777, sorry for not responding in such a long time. I've been busy but I'll try to get a new version with your suggested changes out soon.

Mozcerize, thanks for the compliments. I'll see if I can set a minimum width on the window but it might be too operating system-dependent. As for the twisties, that's a <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76525">known bug</a>.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
IdoMcFly

Post by IdoMcFly »

can we expect an update to 1.0PR ?
EazY

Post by EazY »

Remove the twister (the little expanding plus/minus symbol) from folders which don't have subfolders; they are unnecessary and they fool me think that I've got subfolders when I haven't.

Great idea!
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Whoops, forgot to update this thread. I've updated the XPIs on the server for compatibility with 1.0PR. A new version of the extension with some new features is due out soon.
rtl

"Select last used folder" doesn't work

Post by rtl »

The "Select last used folder" feature does not seem to work in Firefox 1.0PR running on Mac OS X. I have this feature enabled in OpenBook's preferences, but the add bookmark dialog always selects the bookmark root, never the last used folder. Anybody else see this feature working as documented in 1.0PR?
AnonEmoose

Re: "Select last used folder" doesn't work

Post by AnonEmoose »

rtl wrote:The "Select last used folder" feature does not seem to work in Firefox 1.0PR running on Mac OS X. I have this feature enabled in OpenBook's preferences, but the add bookmark dialog always selects the bookmark root, never the last used folder. Anybody else see this feature working as documented in 1.0PR?
that feature is broken as far as i can tell on win98 as well
Stig Nygaard

Request: Modify location (URL) in "Add bookmarks"

Post by Stig Nygaard »

Am I the only one who misses the option to modify the location (URL) immediately when adding a bookmark, like you can do in the Mozilla dialog "File bookmark"?

Would it technically be possibly to add the option with the help of this extensions - and of course - does it sounds like a good idea which there is an interest for to implement?
David H

Post by David H »

Yes, I'd certainly love that feature. There are many times when I decide I want to bookmark a site when I'm somewhere on the 3rd page or such. It'd be nice to be able to hack off the extra stuff so that the bookmark actually goes to the top page of the site instead.
mozillaphile

Wouldn't work seamlessly with FF PR1

Post by mozillaphile »

The link posted at Mozilla's Extesnsions site wouldn't install citing that the extension is not compatible with PR1. But the one posted on the author's website doesn't cause that error message. However, even though it installs from there, it does not support all of the options -- specifically "Select last used folder". It simply does not and selects the Root folder instead. The problem definitely needs to be fixed. Also, the option to allow modification of the URL (as mentioned by SN) will definitely be an welcome add-on to many.
chuonthis

Re: Wouldn't work seamlessly with FF PR1

Post by chuonthis »

Sorry all for neglecting this extension. I've been pretty busy with school but will try to release a new version before Firefox 1.0 is out. The extension no longer selects the last used folder because that used to be the default behavior but got changed. I have a fix for it ready and will release it with some other new features. I should be able to add a URL box. Sorry again for not updating this extension for so long.