Firefox Extension - OpenBook 2.0.0.0 [2008-03-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
stevedipaola

openbook 1.2.0 request

Post by stevedipaola »

This is a great tool. I would like to request to also add turning on the desciption field in the bookmarks dialog box option like you have for keyword and others. That would give us something as powerfull and easy as a "blog this" bookmarklet. Making it easy to grap text from a page, creating a bookmark, editing the keyword and title. and put in a description using the copied text and putting it the correct folder in one simple pass.

I am using this with the Bookmark Sync 1.0 ent that takes your bookmarks and puts it on server as xml so you can sync it to any machine. Although I am writing a php page (have it as a test now) that redisplays that bookmark xml as a web page (with folders, links, keywords and descriptions) . This way I have a fully manable bookmark system ( with folders. keywords and descriptions) that I can upload and use as my home page (or any number of research bookmark pages) all from inside firefox. You'll "open book" helps make this fast and easy but it would be faster if there were an option to make descriptions editable at bookmark time. Again it creates a fast and easy ( like blog this) knowledge management system.

thanks again, steve
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Hi steve, thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can add that option into the dialog. I will not have time to update the extension until a couple months so bare with me for a while.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
Christian-79

Feature Requests

Post by Christian-79 »

Hello chuonthis!

Your extension should be part of Firefox itself. I love it. :)

How about adding an option to expand all folders in the "Add Bookmark" dialog? So it would be possible to type the name of each folder (or the first 2 or 3 characters) to move the blue bar directly to the designated folder.

I already use Open Book in this way, but I had to expand all my folders manually before I could do this. And if I bookmark a page into a folder, it collapses again.

Another suggestion: In the "Add Bookmark" dialog you are are able to go direclty to the field "Name", "Create in" and so on by pressing Alt + a character. It would also be convenient to have such a key combination to select the folders tree.

Alt + B works for selecting "Bookmark all tabs in a folder", but the B of "Bookmark" is not underlined.

Regards,
Christian
Christian-79

Feature Request

Post by Christian-79 »

When you want to give your bookmark another name than the title of the page, you often copy some describing words from the page, hit Ctrl+D and paste it as Name. Maybe OpenBook could do this per default (or as an option in the preferences): You select your text, hit Ctrl+D and the text is already filled in the field "Name".

Worth to think about it, isn't it? ;)
alcatraz52

Post by alcatraz52 »

I like this extension a lot, thanks!
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Christian-79, thanks for the suggestions. I've been busy and haven't been able to tend to my extensions but I should have the time now so I'll look into all of them and see what I can do.

alcatraz52, thanks!
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
vike123

Keep only one bookmark folder open.

Post by vike123 »

I posted this another place, but it was an addon to another person's message that got no reply, so I wanted it to get every consideration.
_________________________________________________________________________________
1cees1
PostPosted: Dec Wed 8th 2004 6:28am Bookmarks - how do you default folders to be closed?
I want "Bookmarks" to default to show all the various folders closed when Firefox is launched.

The current default is to open the bookmarks as they were left in the previous session.
__________________________________________________________________________________
vike123
PostPosted: Dec Sat 11th 2004 6:49pm
I would ever so agree with suggestion in concept, but modify this suggestion.
1) Only allow one folder to be open at one time. In other words, if I open one, Foxfire should close the other.
2) If #1 is done, then do show the open folder when I go back to bookmarks.

The whole point of the concept is NOT TO LEAVE OPEN BOOKMARK FOLDERS OPEN. YOU JUST NEED ONE.

I end up being forced to unneccessily have to close folders so I don't have more than a page of bookmarks visible.

Bob
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Hi vike123, I previously looked at this issue but I will look at it again. Before, I did not think that I was able to implement the behavior (that has been a popular request), but I will see if I can do it now that I know a little more.
Christian-79

Re: Keep only one bookmark folder open.

Post by Christian-79 »

vike123 wrote:1) Only allow one folder to be open at one time. In other words, if I open one, Foxfire should close the other.

I think this extension does what you want:

Autoclose Bookmark Folders 0.0.1
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1730

Look at the homepage to get Version 0.0.2.
vike123

Post by vike123 »

I added this extension and it does not work. I could open every bookmark folder. I tried to post a reply to the extensionmirror... but it would not allow me and I was signed on.
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

I just tried the Autoclose Bookmark Folder extension and while it works to a degree (good job author!), it has the same problem that I encountered when I was working on a similar extension. The desire effect only occurs when you click on the label of a folder (the name of it) to expand/collapse it but doesn't work when you click on the plus/minus (twisty) on the side.
vike123

Post by vike123 »

I see what you mean. It does work if you select the folder or label. I do not know what normal windows standards are... but I have always intuitively clicked on the +/-. Now that I know this is the way it works, I can adjust. However, I assume the reason I intuitively used the +/-, is because it worked that way on other applications.

Thanks.

Bob
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

It's not that clicking on the +/- is wrong, it's just more difficult to implement the behavior for it. On the other hand, working with the label is much easier. Also, the feature request is to behave the way IE does, and IE doesn't even have the +/- for their folders in the Favorites sidebar.
vike123

Post by vike123 »

Actually, I have concluded this autoclose extension works fine, now that I understand it... You actually have two options... close all windows by clicking on the label or folder icon, or keep existing folders open by clicking on the +. I do not see the need for the later, but I did get some feedback from someone that did.

All I can say, is that it would be useful when installing, that the documentation specificly notes this works only by clicking on the label or folder icon.

Have a good day. It is very cool, and very, very windy here.
Christian-79

Feature Request

Post by Christian-79 »

Another idea for a OpenBook feature:

If the URL or the website name contains a special string, in the "Add bookmark" dialog there should be an associated bookmark folder in the box "Create in". This would be s.th. like the extension Download Sort, but for bookmark folders.

Example: If the URL or website name contains the string "mp3", Firefox would propose to save the bookmark in the folder "Music".

Wouldn't this be a time-saving feature?

Download Sort:
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/mo ... &category=
Last edited by Christian-79 on December 22nd, 2004, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.