Quick Translation (qtl)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
gkutiel

Quick Translation (qtl)

Post by gkutiel »

Hi

I have been developing this add-on for a while, finally I got the feeling that it can be very useful to anyone who whish to translate words from one language to another from time to time.

The add-on is not as featured reach as similar ones but it is definitely the most easy to use one.

I'll be happy to hear your comments.

Gilad

<a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5641">Quick Translation</a>
Quick Translation (qtl) - Firefox's best translator
Greezmo - Firefox's video manager
makondo

Post by makondo »

I have tried a few translations related exts. before but will definitely stick to this one from now on - thank you very much, absolutely fantastic! I like the option for the results display (URLbar/tooltip). So far didn't find any mistakes (as far as i know).
I have to add my voice to those requests on the add-ons site - a possibility to trim the list would be great.
When is the 7.0 coming up?
Thanks for the great job!
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

Hi Makondo

Thank you for your comment.
I'm currently working on version 7.0 and hope to finish it in a couple of weeks.
Plan to make the language list costumeable and add some more features.
makondo

Post by makondo »

No rush here, i didn't mean it to sound impatient, was just wondering as it sounds like a good improvement. I've noticed one comment from somebody who said s/he uninstalling the ext. due to annoyance of the Copy function conflict. Now, it took me exactly 5 sec. to figure this one out but you may want to mention the on/off switch somewhere on the add-ons page. Not every body reads notes and visits homepages, we know that. It might be a good idea to have a tooltip (maybe?) by that icon with an explanation of the clicks (i know i was clicking it like a monkey 'red/green/red/green.....' and wondering what that might be).
Thanks and Good Luck!
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

Hi

Version 7.0 is public.
The add-on can be customized now at The configuration page .
Hope it helps

Gilad
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks! Do we have to go to the ^ link every time we'd like to add a language (not that it will happen all that often, of course)? TIA!
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

makondo wrote:Thanks! Do we have to go to the ^ link every time we'd like to add a language (not that it will happen all that often, of course)? TIA!
Yes, the reason I made the configuration page apart from the extension is:

1. As you said, I don't think users will configure the extension very often.
2. This way I can update the configuration page without the need to update the extension.
3. It is also my interest - I can in the future put ads on the site.
makondo

Post by makondo »

One more question, if i may: why do i have 3 folders for the ext.: qtl.co.il@gmail(67), another one with (46) and another one w/out any numbers?

PS. Ok, i've got another one. I (usually) change exts. icons. I was able to change the flag as well but not in the last version. Is there a way to do it? Is the image stored on your site now?

EDIT: well, had to reinstall the previous version - if i'd highlight a word, i'd get 'TypeError: src.url has no properties' and another pop up with an error in QtlPopup,js line 122. Unistalled, cleaned about:config, installed 6.4 - now getting this error with this version. I have to click OK on popups and after that, i can't click anywhere on the page w/out those errors popping up again, and again, and ... until i close the tab. There no errors in console. Should i maybe delete those folders and try to reinstall the 6.4v? Gonna try.
Can't use it for now, very sorry.
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

Hi

1. First time I hear about multiple folders. There should be only one <b>qtl.co.il@gmail.com</b>
2. You should be able do that in the new version as well (it might take some time the first time you switch flag)
3. It sounds to me like a conflict with other add-on (I was reported that <b>McAfee SiteAdvisor</b> might cause that problem) If so, or if you track down other add-on which cause problems please let me know and I'll try to fix this for the next release.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Dang! #3 is SA! Now i have to chose and disable it if i use qtl.
#2 - there used to be a 'Flags' folder where i'd switch a flag for an image i want to use instead. This folder is not there in the latest version. Is there a .css rule i can use?
#1 - i deleted all those folders before the new install. Have only one now.
TIA!
makondo

Post by makondo »

Just to make sure you didn't miss the #2 ^ - the flags folder. TIA!
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

I moved this folder to the net.
Before that I had to create two versions just because I did a mistake in the flags.
Now I can change the languages list without change the extension at all.

If you still want to change the icon you can do that with a little twik in the code.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Yes, i figured that, just don't know where exactly. I see this line in qtl.js: qtlTlIcon.src = "http://qtl.sf.net/flags/" + tl + ".png"; Is that the one? Should i point it to a .png on my drive? TIA!
gkutiel

Post by gkutiel »

First you have to create a folder named <b>flags</b> under the extension folder. In the folder you have to put icons named by the language 2 letters acronym (i.e. en.png, jp.png etc...)

Then you will have to replace each occurrence of
<code>http://qtl.sf.net/flags/</code>
by
<code>chrome://qtl/content/flags/</code>

I think thats about it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks! Will try it now.
Oh, where do i change that line? In every file?

EDIT: sorry, didn't work. It changed the flag in the flags menu (slide out flags menu when you click the statusbar icon) but not the statusbar icon.