[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nightbeholder

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu (New – for Firefox 3 only)

Post by nightbeholder »

thanks, that would be great
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Great add-on. How can I open bookmarks (with the menu stay opened) in the same tab instead of opening it in an new one?

Nice greetings, Dirk
- Windows 11 Home, 22H2, 64bit
- newest stable portable Firefox (not beta)
- newest stable portable Thunderbird (not beta)
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

@nightbeholder and others interested in keeping the menu open when clicking Boox's 'Mark as Read':
See http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extension/Prerelease/index.htm for an experimental version of this. Be sure to read the note and warning.

@Dirki: Thanks. There is no provision in Stay-Open Menu for that. Typically one opens the menu, opens multiple tabs and then closes it (or uses the auto-close feature). Opening multiple bookmarks in the same tab would overwrite each other. Are you desiring this for the first one you open or am I misunderstanding something?
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Many thanks custom.firefox.lady.

Opening multiple bookmarks in the same tab would overwrite each other. Are you desiring this for the first one you open or am I misunderstanding something?

No no, you are understanding right: e.g. suppose you are searching a website (not knowing the URL anymore) or you just want to have a short look at each page (in any bookmark folder etc.), like I do occasionally, it would be good to not to open each one in a single tab, but in the same one.

Thanks again for your help, nice greetings, Dirk
custom.firefox.lady

suppose you are searching a website (not knowing the URL anymore) or you just want to have a short look at each page (in any bookmark folder etc.)

Although I generally prefer the Bookmarks Menu to the sidebar, I think in that case, you might consider using the Bookmarks Sidebar for this. It would have the added advantage of not covering up part of the webpage like the dropdown menu would.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Thanks custom.firefox.lady,

Yes, that is a good idea doing it this way.

Thanks again, nice greetings, Dirk
bob99

Post by bob99 »

Hi this is a great extension I've been looking for something like this forever. Now I can ditch the All-in-one sidebar which was good but slow. I don't know if this has already been asked but can you offer an option to make the menu stay open with left mouse clicks also?
custom.firefox.lady

Thanks. There is an option in versions 1.4 and later to use Ctrl-(left)click. Plain left-clicks would result in the items just overwriting each other in the same tab. What exactly are you wanting to do, or what exact behavior are you expecting?
bob99

Post by bob99 »

I just want to use the left click in the menus and have it stay open also. Is it possible to make left click open the bookmarks in different tabs?
custom.firefox.lady

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I see the purpose of Stay-Open Menu being keeping the menu open at appropriate times and in a useful and non-annoying manner, rather than changing how left-clicks etc. work. If you are willing to use another method to cause bookmarks to open in a new tab when left-clicked, then I would consider adding a compatible feature to keep the menu open when using it.

Following links give some information on how you can cause bookmarks to open in a new tab (with left-click).

See the first paragraph and #3 at:
http://www.x2b4.com/howto/how-to-open-e ... firefox-3/

Here is the extension you need to implement it:
http://userchromejs.mozdev.org/index.html

It works on the Bookmarks Menu and the Bookmarks Toolbar (but not in the sidebar).
custom.firefox.lady

@bob99
Another alternative for making bookmarks to open in a new tab is the Tab Kit extension.
bob99

Post by bob99 »

I just thought you could include various options to how the buttons work. Like left click opens in new tabs and middle click opens in same tab or vice versa. Or maybe left click opens in new tab and middle click closes the menu. I'm also using Tab Mix Plus and my bookmarks already open in new tabs with left click but the menu doesn't stay open.
custom.firefox.lady

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

bob99 wrote:I just thought you could include various options to how the buttons work. Like left click opens in new tabs and middle click opens in same tab or vice versa.

Thanks for the suggestion (which I will keep in mind), but this brings up a lot of other issues. If left-click opens in new tabs, shouldn't it do that on the bookmarks sidebar too? (Currently Stay-Open Menu has no need to affect the sidebar at all.) What about on page links? I am personally not fond of things that make the UI inconsistent and adding all this would take Stay-Open Menu way beyond its intended purpose. I think this sort of thing is more suited to a tab-related extension.

bob99 wrote:Or maybe left click opens in new tab and middle click closes the menu.

With the auto-closing feature added to 1.5, I don't think we need any more ways to close the menu.

bob99 wrote:I'm also using Tab Mix Plus and my bookmarks already open in new tabs with left click but the menu doesn't stay open.

Okay, thanks, I was not aware that TMP also had an option for this. As previously stated, I could add an option to keep the menu open on left-click for use in cases like this. PM me if you'd be willing to help test it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Could you post a dev.build here? I'll test (have both, 3.0.10 and 3.5b4, the latest TMP dev.build).
Wai_Wai

Post by Wai_Wai »

Thanks for tiny but very useful addon. I have a related request.
Is it possible to have the menu stickied (stuck) until I deliberately close it?

The reasons are:
1) Sometimes I want to perform a series of action on the menus (e.g. click on context menu -> click on different items to perform different tasks at once)
2) Some addons use menus to manage things and settings. It's sort of bad design so you have to open menu -> click -> open menu -> click -> open menu -> click. Much time is saved if the menu can be stickied.
3) I would also like to inspect the menus/popups with DOM Inspector.
However the menu will display by the time I click on the DOM inspector icon to do the inspection.

How you open it is the way how you close it.
For menus in menubar, you click on the "History" or "Bookmarks" item to open the menu. You click again to close it. Other clicks won't close it.
For tabbar menus (which shows a list of tabs), you click on the arrow button to open the menu. You click again to close it. Other clicks won't close it.
For content area context menu, you right click to open it. You right click again to close it.