[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
itisomegakai

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Stay-Open Menu 3.0 (now restartless) has been reviewed and released and is now available on AMO
custom.firefox.lady wrote:
itisomegakai wrote:Kudos for the great work
Thanks, but it's still very experimental.. If this successfully makes it to final release then I'll be happy.
Well, it's taken nearly 18 months to get to final release, but now it's time to celebrate...woo hoo! :D
Great work & really appreciate it.

But now waiting for the next beta to test Stay-Open Menu 3.x or Stay-Open Menu 4.x
Ede_123

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu (now restartless)

Post by Ede_123 »

Hi, thank you very much for version 3.0!

Two things bug me though:
  • "Drop support for keeping menu open for 'recently closed tabs' on menubar (Use History widget from panelUI instead)"
    This was a very useful feature. I do not use the stupid PanelUI at all (in fact I have hidden this button), so as a result of this change I'm missing a very important function. Any important reason not to continue to support it?
  • "Remove ms delay for autoclosing option; replaced with optional margin of error (in pix) to accommodate accidental mouse drift off menu"
    This is not as important than the first bullet point but I deemed the delay option a bit more logical and practical. E.g. when moving the mouse button from one menu to the next one often leaves the menu area (especially if the list of the newly opened menu is very long). Fiddling around with pixel values in this case to somehow get it right seems a bit hacky.
And possbily a bug:
In History menu when using the middle click option (instead of Ctrl-Click) the menu closes. It works fine with Bookmarks menu, though.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Ede_123 wrote: [*] "Drop support for keeping menu open for 'recently closed tabs' on menubar (Use History widget from panelUI instead)"...Any important reason not to continue to support it?
I had to re-do much of the code to make it restartless. RC tabs on menubar wasn't especially high priority, since the menubar is hidden by default on Windows and the widget worked. Support will likely be back in the next update.
Ede_123 wrote:[*] "Remove ms delay for autoclosing option; replaced with optional margin of error (in pix) to accommodate accidental mouse drift off menu" This is not as important than the first bullet point but I deemed the delay option a bit more logical and practical....
Sorry, but the autoclosing is my favorite option and *I* much prefer it the new way. I use 25px , YMMV. The ms delay to me seemed laggy if I set it high enough to reliably prevent accidental closing.It would be possible to provide both, but I don't want to add that much extra complexity to the code.
Ede_123 wrote:And possbily a bug:
In History menu when using the middle click option (instead of Ctrl-Click) the menu closes. It works fine with Bookmarks menu, though.
Yes, that's a recently reported bug. A fix is already planned for the next version. Thanks for the report anyway, though. (I've been intending to add it as a known issue.)
custom.firefox.lady

Stay-Open Menu 3.0.1rc1 is now available for testing.

Release Notes (changes since 3.0):
* Fixed: Alt-Enter broken when used directly from the location bar (rather than from the location bar dropdown) if browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete is set to false or on older Firefox versions which do not support unifiedcomplete.
* Fixed: Middle-click does not keep menu open on History Menu (menu bar)
* Restore support for keeping menu open for 'Recently closed tabs' on menu bar
* Updated translation for es locale (thanks to strel)
* Updated translation for el locale (thanks to George Malamas)
* Add boblosthisphone to fr translators (for update)
* Changed extension's icon

Download at: AMO all versions page
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Stay-Open Menu 3.0.1rc1 is now available for testing.

Release Notes (changes since 3.0):
* Fixed: Alt-Enter broken when used directly from the location bar (rather than from the location bar dropdown) if browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete is set to false or on older Firefox versions which do not support unifiedcomplete.
* Fixed: Middle-click does not keep menu open on History Menu (menu bar)
* Restore support for keeping menu open for 'Recently closed tabs' on menu bar
* Updated translation for es locale (thanks to strel)
* Updated translation for el locale (thanks to George Malamas)
* Add boblosthisphone to fr translators (for update)
* Changed extension's icon

ICON looks great !
Mlynd

Post by Mlynd »

Hello,

Does this addon redefine the middle-click behavior on bookmark folder? I use this addon along with Add Bookmark Here², and since a recent update, I can no longer use it to redefine the middle-click action. Found out disabling Stay-Open Menu solved the problem. Could you check out this problem? I'm not sure which one of ABH² or SOM causes the conflict.
custom.firefox.lady

Mlynd wrote:...I use this addon along with Add Bookmark Here², and since a recent update, I can no longer use it to redefine the middle-click action...
It's an extension conflict. Simple solution. Fixed in 3.0.1rc2.
Mlynd

Post by Mlynd »

Okay, new problem: the action defined in ABH² works, but when SOM is enabled at the same time, it will bookmark the active tab on the most recently opened window rather than the current window. This behavior persists even after SOM is disabled until Firefox is restarted (which is odd for a restartless addon).
custom.firefox.lady

Mlynd wrote:Okay, new problem: the action defined in ABH² works, but when SOM is enabled at the same time, it will bookmark the active tab on the most recently opened window rather than the current window.
Please try 3.0.1rc3
Mlynd wrote:This behavior persists even after SOM is disabled until Firefox is restarted (which is odd for a restartless addon).
I think that's likely an issue with the cleanup code when using multiple windows. Thanks for reporting.
Edit: Will be fixed in 3.0.1rc5.
custom.firefox.lady

Stay-Open Menu 3.0.1rc5 is now available for testing.

Release Notes (changes since 3.0.1rc4):
* [Compatibility fix for Fx44+] Menu closing inappropriately as mouse moves between menu and submenu when (non-default) Autoclosing option is enabled with its distance option at the default of zero.
* Fixed issue with shutdown code when used with multiple windows
* Revert (Add Bookmark Here 2) compatibility fix from rc3 (issue solved by rc2 fix and shutdown fix above)

Compatibility fix for Fx44+ listed above especially needs testing. There is an alternate fix I could apply instead, if required. Thanks for testing!
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on March 3rd, 2016, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Stay-Open Menu 3.0.1r51 is now available for testing.

Release Notes (changes since 3.0.1rc4):
* [Compatibility fix for Fx44+] Menu closing inappropriately as mouse moves between menu and submenu when (non-default) Autoclosing option is enabled with its distance option at the default of zero.
* Fixed issue with shutdown code when used with multiple windows
* Revert (Add Bookmark Here 2) compatibility fix from rc3 (issue solved by rc2 fix and shutdown fix above)

Compatibility fix for Fx44+ listed above especially needs testing. There is an alternate fix I could apply instead, if required. Thanks for testing!

The lasted 47x builds middle clicking recent bookmarks does no work
Also they are not sure bout how to implement it
see here

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1248268
custom.firefox.lady

itisomegakai wrote:The lasted 47x builds middle clicking recent bookmarks does no work
Also they are not sure bout how to implement it
see here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1248268
Thanks for the heads-up. Will watch to see what they decide.

Edit: From my brief testing, middle-clicking recent bookmarks has no effect even without Stay-Open Menu enabled. Ctrl-clicking them opens them in a tab, but Stay-Open Menu doesn't prevent the menu from closing. Is that what you are seeing also?
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
itisomegakai wrote: Edit: From my brief testing, middle-clicking recent bookmarks has no effect even without Stay-Open Menu enabled. Ctrl-clicking them opens them in a tab, but Stay-Open Menu doesn't prevent the menu from closing. Is that what you are seeing also?

yes
custom.firefox.lady

See Bug 1257087 comment #2 .
If Fx fixes bug and supports middle-click, I intend to support keeping the menu open.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi custom.firefox.lady,
I'm currently running firefox version # 47.0.1 , I've installed your extension..but unless I'm doing something wrong on my end, I don't see where it does anything. What I'm looking for is an extension to make the firefox bookmark menu act more like the internet explorer favorites menu operates..when you click on the favorites button the last bookmark is remembered. I was really hoping your offered extension would perform like that.
Thanks,
David