[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
minuseggs

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu (New – for Firefox 3 only)

Post by minuseggs »

hi!
could you make it work also for the extension "Bookmarks menu" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12016)?
that would just be awesome!

KR
minus
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Sorry, but that's probably unlikely. The way it's implemented and the fact that it is explicitly closing the menu (rather than relying on inbuilt Firefox methods) would make it difficult. Stay-Open menu does work with Toolbar Buttons 'Bookmarks Menu Button' (you can get just that individual button). Or perhaps the author of "Bookmarks menu" would consider an option to keep the menu open for middle-click.
minuseggs

Post by minuseggs »

thanks for your reply!
i'll ask the author of "bookmarks menu" ...
i just test the "toolbar buttons" extension and wondered if you could make it work not only for 'bookmarks menu button' but also for 'bookmarks toolbar button'? or would that again be the author of "toolbar buttons" who would need to implement this function?

KR
minus

/me asking noob questions one at a time
custom.firefox.lady

Is the button you are talking about actually "Toolbar Bookmark Menu" (show the contents of the Bookmarks Toolbar in a dropdown menu -- if you have it installed, hovering it shows the tooltip "Show Toolbar Bookmark Menu")? There is one named "Bookmark Toolbar" that shows/hides the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I doubt that would keep you from using Stay-Open Menu with the Bookmarks Toolbar when it is visible. I haven't tried it; correct me if I'm wrong.

"Toolbar Bookmark Menu" already works with Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 middle-click and from a quick look, I think I could make the rest of Stay-Open Menu's features work with it relatively easily. But please clarify which button you mean, I don't want to work on the wrong one!
minuseggs

Post by minuseggs »

yes i do mean the "toolbar bookmark menu" (which shows the content of the bookmarks toolbar in a dropdown) ... having a cold and no ff installation in english made me write what i wrote ... sorry for the confusion ...
when i middle-click a link it opens in a new tab in foreground and the menu is hidden ... but maybe that is because i'm using stay-open menu 1.5.2?

KR
minus
custom.firefox.lady

That's okay, translating such things can be difficult, thanks for the clarification; hope you get over that cold!

minuseggs wrote: ... but maybe that is because i'm using stay-open menu 1.5.2?

Yes. I plan to release 1.5.3 to amo this week, so even if you prefer not to download the beta from the homepage, it shouldn't be a very long wait for the final version. I will plan to get the rest of Stay-Open Menu's features working with that button in 1.5.4.
minuseggs

Post by minuseggs »

thanks for your reply! and thanks for this great addon!
looking forward to the new release!

KR
minus
RJRay

Post by RJRay »

Very nice Addon (thank you!) but I have one little problem.

When I drag/drop from one folder to a sub folder it closes everything. It does not "Stay Open" :)

Image http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6323/stayopen.png

I alway have to go back to the beginning. It would be nice to have the folder stay open (and all folders for a lot of dragging/dropping/deleting). I move URLs around a lot.

Otherwise perfect.

Thank you for any help :)
minuseggs

Post by minuseggs »

hi!
just updated to 1.5.3 and the middle-click works just fine ... what does not work is the "automatic menu-closing" for the "toolbar bookmark menu" ...
could you please let me know if this will be implemented in a future release?

KR
minus
custom.firefox.lady

@RJRay: You're welcome!
RJRay wrote:When I drag/drop from one folder to a sub folder it closes everything. It does not "Stay Open" :)
It would be nice to have the folder stay open (and all folders for a lot of dragging/dropping/deleting). I move URLs around a lot.
I agree that this would be a nice feature to have. However I don't think stay open on drag/drop would be easy to implement properly, and since Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks works so well for this, that's what should be used. Or the Bookmarks sidebar, if you prefer. 'Right-click > Delete' natively keeps the menu open for me; is that not the behavior you see?

@minuseggs: Auto-closing is part of the 'rest of Stay-Open Menu's features', as mentioned in my previous reply to you, that I plan to get working with the button in 1.5.4. It's very likely; will post back when I know for certain.
RJRay

Post by RJRay »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply :-)

Yes, I can delete etc but then I have to go all the way back in there (I have 1000s of bookmarks) again and again and agin. I feel I have a 50% Stay Open Addon :)

I have started using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7907 but this just makes me NOT use Stay Open which is a shame as I'd like your Addon to stay open all the time (or be much more sticky).

This menu 'stickiness' missing from Firefox is horrible and it's even more annoying hat's it's 100% present in Internet Explorer and every other Windows program.
custom.firefox.lady

RJRay wrote:I have started using https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7907 but this just makes me NOT use Stay Open which is a shame as I'd like your Addon to stay open all the time (or be much more sticky).

Wow, I think that add-on is an excellent idea; think I'll try it myself. Thanks. Of course, I won't be giving up Stay-Open Menu! <grin> But that's the best part of Firefox, we can each customize as desired.

I am not saying absolutely stay open on drag/drop will never be added to Stay-Open Menu. (Probably a lot of people would like that.) I'll add it to my list of possible ideas for the future. It may be beyond my current abilities; I've not yet examined it closely because I feel the alternatives are adequate.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement: Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 has been released at amo.

I can now confirm that Toolbar Buttons "Toolbar Bookmark Menu" will be supported in 1.5.4 (auto-closing and other features will work in addition to the middle-click that currently works in 1.5.3). A beta version will be made available from the homepage when it is ready.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement: Stay-Open Menu 1.5.4 beta 1 is now available for testing.

Significant changes since previous 1.5.3 version:
* New: Option to redisplay the menu after using 'right-click > Properties' on a bookmark to view/edit its properties.
* New: Works with Toolbar Buttons "Toolbar Bookmark Menu" and with Bookmarks Menu Tool Button (All of Stay-Open Menu's Options now work with these buttons.)
* New: Option to remove 'Subscribe to This Page' items from the Bookmarks Menu. (Workaround for bug that occurs when used with Firefox versions 3.6 and prior)
* New: Option to disable Stay-Open Menu's use with Smart Location Bar
* Fixed (bug in 1.5.3): When used with Windows XP's default Blue scheme (and possibly others), 'List All Tabs' widget's selected item's text becomes illegible when hovered. Firefox default styling is restored in 1.5.4. Styling from 1.5.3 can be restored via Option, if desired.

See homepage for details and to download. Comments welcome.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement: Stay-Open Menu 1.5.4 beta 2 is now available for testing.

Significant changes since previous 1.5.4 beta 1 version:
Added locales for non <en-US> users: <fr>, <nl>, <pt-BR>, <ru-RU>, <zh-CN> (and locale-related fixes).
[Acknowledging the many non <en-US> users - Thanks to Babelzilla and translators!]

Please report any problems with them. (Some translations of extension description not yet available.) Users of beta 1 are not automatically updated; <en-US> users can stay with beta 1 if desired.

Other than possible additional locales and bugfixes (if any found), no further changes expected before final.

See homepage for details and to download.