[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
makondo

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu (now restartless)

Post by makondo »

decembre,
you have at least 6 exts. that you don't need 'cause we have custom buttons instead (Back to top, Case Changer, Element Inspector, Empty Cache Button, InspectorWidget, ProfileSwitcher).
Go to CB forum and search or send me a PM from there and i'll link you to them.
Also, you have Go Parent Folder and Show Parent Folder ... don't they do the same thing (BTW, i believe we have a button for that too).
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

decembre wrote:Seems a problem with this Profile.
With and without Stay-Open Menu and on a clean profile i have no problem :
In Firebug ( Developer toolbar too) and bookmark manager , all menu open by right click close normally when i go outside them.
And clicking outside the menu close them.
To be clear by "right click menu" you are referring to the context menu? (It is possible to reverse left/right mouse buttons.) For me on a clean profile, context menus close when you click a menu item, or click outside the menu, or press ESC) Even in the bookmark manager (open clean profile, click Bookmarks button at the bottom of page, right-click somewhere on the page to open a context menu). The context menu does not close when you move the mouse pointer off it without clicking anything. If that is not the behavior you see in a clean profile, then I have no idea why that is different for you.
decembre

Post by decembre »

- "To be clear by "right click menu" you are referring to the context menu? ":
Yes, inside the window , when i want make an action (copy,find an element, etc...).
After the context menu don't close without an action in it or ESC.
Click outside or movethe pionter outside don't close it as it does normally.

Sorry for my english ....
;-)
custom.firefox.lady

decembre wrote:- "To be clear by "right click menu" you are referring to the context menu? ":
Yes, inside the window , when i want make an action (copy,find an element, etc...).
After the context menu don't close without an action in it or ESC.
Click outside or move the pointer outside don't close it as it does normally.
OK, that's clear, thanks. This is in your problem profile. Your clean profile works ok? (For me in a clean profile moving the pointer outside without clicking anywhere does not close the context menu.) I don't know of any setting that would cause your problem. You have tried the obvious (but occasionally overlooked) solution of restarting Firefox? You could also try Help > Restart with add-ons disabled to see if the issue is caused by one of your extensions (or several conflicting add-ons). If your clean profile works properly and 'restart with add-ons disabled' does not prevent issue, your problem profile may be corrupted and you may need to migrate your data & extensions slowly to your clean profile. If your clean profile does not work properly, it might be helpful to post in Firefox support.
decembre

Post by decembre »

Ok i do that and it seems good now....
Thanks for the help !

I thinks it was the pref.js which cause problem
woefully

Post by woefully »

Many thanks for your wonderful extension, can't browse without it! Installed & tested the 3.0.2 version on Pale Moon (using this tool) and it seems to work perfectly, with the exception of "Automatic-Menu closing", which I think does not work (menus don't close).

If you have the time I hope this can be fixed - the new version seems snappier than the older 2.2.2rc.
custom.firefox.lady

@woefully - 3.x versions were targeted at Fx 29 (PM is based on a prior Fx version) and added support for Fx 29 specific features. 3.0 was also a major rewrite to make it restartless, and was never tested or intended to be used on older Fx versions. I'm surprised it works on PM as well as you say it does. If I get a chance I'll take a look, but it may be awhile.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Hello, longtime user of this indispensable extension (2011), but there has been a little firefox bug that has annoyed me even longer:

Bug 430577 - ctrl/cmd + click on bookmarks toolbar folder should not open folder

Basically, if you ctrl-click on a bookmarks toolbar folder, not only does it open all the tabs inside, it opens the folder popup and leaves it open for you to close.

Clarification: If the folder on the toolbar is already closed when you click on ctrl-click on it, you don't need it opened and you don't want to have to close it. The automatic menu-closing feature kinda mitigates this, but especially on the toolbar, there are many ways you can move (or not move) the mouse afterwards (eg sideways across the toolbar) where the popup does not auto-close or worse, a different folder popup opens.

Someone even submitted a patch back in 2012, but for whatever reason it never got through. so we can safely say it will never be fixed.

I finally just put in a one-liner hack in browser-places.js:BEH_onClick() to close the popup right after it opens(for my personal use), but I think that your extension keeps it open by preempting their code. If and whenever you decide to do an update, can you look at this and perhaps include a similar bug fix/workaround?

Thanks again for creating and maintaining such a great extension for so many years.
Last edited by bugblatter on March 2nd, 2017, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Forgot to include what I did:

browser-places.js: BookmarksEventHandler.onClick:

Code: Select all

if (target.localName == "toolbarbutton") target.open = false;
        PlacesUIUtils.openContainerNodeInTabs(target._placesNode, aEvent, aView);
I just inserted that first line. The popup opens briefly, but that's fine with me. I think James' bugzilla patch prevents it from opening in the first place, but that's way too complicated for me.
custom.firefox.lady

Hi bugblatter,
With fx's upcoming move to webextensions as the supported add-on type, I've been reluctant to spend time adding new features, since they will stop working for most fx users later in the year anyway. I'm attempting to find some way to enable users access to the core keep-menu-open functionality. It's all I can do ATM, sorry.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

I understand of course. Not sure why I'm still hanging on. I decided to modify my little hack to adjust for the conflict with your code. Thanks again for your work.
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote: Haha, I don't even know whether it will be possible to recreate these features in a WebExtension. Taking a wait and see attitude; I don't have time to look into it any further ATM anyway. If they make it possible, I'll likely attempt it...if not, time to find a new hobby.
Looks like it's time for an alpha build of SOM webext as most apis required are landed in hose bugs.
Can you please look into it? AA test version would be real nice.
FF55 has started to remove legacy addons and anyday SoM can stop working.
custom.firefox.lady

itisomegakai wrote:Looks like it's time for an alpha build of SOM webext as most apis required are landed in hose bugs. Can you please look into it? AA test version would be real nice. FF55 has started to remove legacy addons and anyday SoM can stop working.
There are no APIs for preventing the bookmarks menus from closing. I am investigating other possibilities. I don't anticipate any problems before fx 57. If you are thinking of this blog post (fx54-56), Stay-Open Menu runs in the chrome process, not the content process, so should not be affected by multiple content processes. Neither does it access the file system. From what info I've been told, after fx57, users on Aurora (dev channel) and Nightly will still be able to run bootstrapped add-ons (like stayopen). ESR fx users will also be able to run legacy add-ons until sometime in 2018. But barring a complete change of mind by Mozilla, the unlimited ability of fx add-ons to alter the fx interface, muck with internal fx code, and alter the behavior of other add-ons is likely to simply be over on Release Versions of fx 57 and later. I am attempting to see if I can salvage *any* of Stay-Open Menu's functionality.
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
itisomegakai wrote:Looks like it's time for an alpha build of SOM webext as most apis required are landed in hose bugs. Can you please look into it? AA test version would be real nice. FF55 has started to remove legacy addons and anyday SoM can stop working.
There are no APIs for preventing the bookmarks menus from closing. I am investigating other possibilities. I don't anticipate any problems before fx 57. If you are thinking of this blog post (fx54-56), Stay-Open Menu runs in the chrome process, not the content process, so should not be affected by multiple content processes. Neither does it access the file system. From what info I've been told, after fx57, users on Aurora (dev channel) and Nightly will still be able to run bootstrapped add-ons (like stayopen). ESR fx users will also be able to run legacy add-ons until sometime in 2018. But barring a complete change of mind by Mozilla, the unlimited ability of fx add-ons to alter the fx interface, muck with internal fx code, and alter the behavior of other add-ons is likely to simply be over on Release Versions of fx 57 and later. I am attempting to see if I can salvage *any* of Stay-Open Menu's functionality.
Hi thanks for the quick reply,
can you file a bug requesting the necessary apis(they asked to do so recently so they can add those)
ABP/uBo/TMP/noscript have their own meta bugs requesting for apis(most of they have made it in FF54)

Yes i was not aware of chrome-process/content-process , so basically the apis you need are not that complex to provide? so can you as the FF devs for help?
I am attempting to see if I can salvage *any* of Stay-Open Menu's functionality.
File a bug and let see if they can add the apis.
itisomegakai

Post by itisomegakai »

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/03 ... xtensions/

It's really nice that Mozilla and the addons community is working to help devs migrate their addons to WebExtensions :) The people helping are different then the ones in the bugs