[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
custom.firefox.lady

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu (New – for Firefox 3 only)

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Announcement:
Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 beta 2 is now available for testing. Users of previous beta are not automatically updated to beta 2.

Significant changes since previous beta (for changes since 1.5.2 see previous post):
* Option to keep menu open for multiple selections on the 'Permissions' sub-item added by Tab Mix Plus
* Fixed: Bug in beta 1 related to automatic menu closing option

See http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extension/Prerelease/ for details and to download. Comments welcome.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Does it suppose to work with Fx 3.6b1? Well, yes, it says incompatible. Bumped and nothing :|
Oh, well!
custom.firefox.lady

makondo wrote:Does it suppose to work with Fx 3.6b1? Well, yes, it says incompatible. Bumped and nothing :|

It says incompatible because I'd not gotten around to testing with 3.6 yet. What exactly do you mean by 'bumped and nothing'? Nothing works? No issues, so wondering why it's listed as incompatible? Thanks for your input!
makondo

Post by makondo »

^^ That was a very helpful post, wasn't it? Sorry about that! Image

1. On install, the addons manager has it disabled as incompatible with 3.6b1. Bumped with MR Tech Toolkit, set options for TMP and left click, restarted.
2. Ctrl+Lckicked bkmrks items in the Bookmarks drop down menu - tabs open but menu closes after each click.
3. The same with TMP permissions - they get checked/unchecked but the menu closes between each click.
4. The same with Mclick.

No errors in console.
I normally don't use Bookmarks toolbar menu, i hide it actually. But i do use the bkmrks toolbar (well, a custom button - one click drops bkmrks toolbar as a context menu). Does this ext. suppose to work with the bkmrks toolbar? If not yet, would you consider adding it?

TIA!
custom.firefox.lady

Thanks for the info, makondo. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to reproduce this issue. If you turn off the TMP option and restart, does middle-click and ctrl-click then work? Did you previously use 1.5.3 beta 1? If so, did middle-click and ctrl-click work properly in that version? Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Stay-Open Menu? Restarting the computer?

Yes, Stay-Open Menu should work with the Bookmarks Toolbar items. I don't know whether it would work with your custom button though. If not, let me know what is adding the custom button, and I'll look into it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Actually, i install every beta release you had here - it has never worked for me. However, i used to be able to at least get a tab out of a click on the bkmrks toolbar. Now it doesn't do even that - as i said, nothing happens. Bookmarks do not open at all. It works in a clean profile with MR Tech Toolkit and Stylish only installed there. But there's no change in this profile with TMP disabled (when TMP is enabled, nothing happens when clicking permissions).

The button puts bookmarks toolbar into a left click dropdown menu. It's the Bookmarks Toolbar Menu button on this page (notice, there 2 different buttons. Be warn though, this page may take half-an-hr to load :roll: ). The Bookmarks button seems to at least open bookmarks in a tab but menu doesn't stay open. Never did for me, not on Mclick, not on Ctrl+L/anyclick.
Anyway, as tested in a clean(-er) profile, it does work with 3.6b1 (made compatible). But not with my exts./set up.
Sorry for disturbance :)
custom.firefox.lady

makondo wrote:Actually, i install every beta release you had here - it has never worked for me.

What was the last version of Stay-Open Menu and Firefox that actually worked together properly for you then? Or are you saying no versions (beta or otherwise) of either have ever worked together properly for you?

makondo wrote:But there's no change in this profile with TMP disabled (when TMP is enabled, nothing happens when clicking permissions).

That seems to conflict with your previous statement that they got checked/unchecked but the menu closes. What am I misunderstanding?

Just to make certain I am understanding properly, are you are saying that the menu is not staying open for you in your normal profile when using the default Bookmarks dropdown from the menubar (File, Edit ... Bookmarks ...) as shown in image 1 of 5 under 'Image Gallery' at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6459?

If so, then then there is likely some conflict with another extension. It would be very helpful if you could find which extension is causing the problem. See steps 2-4 under the heading 'Extension Issues' at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox. Of course, if you have some other extension that has a 'keep menu open' option and it is set to not keep the menu open, that might indeed cause it to close. OTOH, if you are using some button and not the default menu for this, then I would not expect the menu to stay open, and I would need to know what button you are using.

With the 'Bookmarks Toolbar Menu' button you refer to: Unless middle-click works for you with that button when Stay-Open Menu is disabled, the button just doesn't actually support middle-click at all. But, I think I can probably add some bits to Stay-Open Menu to get at least middle-click working (opening items in tabs and leaving the menu open) with it.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Testing so many exts./versions .. i'm confused now too Image
1. It works in the profile where i have only 2 other exts. (MR Tech Toolkit and Stylish).
2. In the default profile (with 34 exts.), when clicking TMP' permissions, they do get checked/unchecked properly but the the menu doesn't stay open. It closes on every click. It also doesn't work on Mclick (permissions get checked/unchecked on the usual L or R click) - nothing happens on Mclick. Tested with all exts. disabled but TMP and SOM enabled.
3. Bookmarks menu also closes with every Mclick, but stays open with a Lclick (which is perfect if it would work with all exts. enabled!).

About the button. If you could make SOM work with it, it would be really great! The button is an awesome space saver on the toolbar, i can't imagine using Fx w/out it. TIA!

EDIT: OK, after quite a bit of testing, i conclude - it's Custom Buttons². I know they do something with menus, but have no idea what it is about. I will let them know but ... with forum being snailslow and developers not responding to any requests ... i'm afraid it might take a while to get their attention.

Thanks for your time, custom.firefox.lady!
custom.firefox.lady

For the TMP permissions items, they should stay open on left-click, if Stay-Open Menu's TMP option is on. Middle-click is not expected to do anything here. In a new profile with only TMP, Stay-Open Menu, and Custom Buttons² (and it's associated Bookmarks Toolbar Menu button), I cannot reproduce any of your issues. Nevertheless, if disabling Custom Buttons² fixes your issues, you might want to look for an alternative. I would recommend Toolbar Buttons. Their 'Toolbar Bookmark Menu' appears to be a good substitute for your current button. It's available separately and you don't need to deal with a slow-loading site. Glad to be of assistance, hope this has helped.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Toolbar Buttons ext. doesn't work for me and it's not the same as CB², nothing is, sorry. But i do appreciate you taking the time. Good Luck!
custom.firefox.lady

makondo wrote:The button puts bookmarks toolbar into a left click dropdown menu. It's the Bookmarks Toolbar Menu button on this page (notice, there 2 different buttons. Be warn though, this page may take half-an-hr to load :roll: ). The Bookmarks button seems to at least open bookmarks in a tab but menu doesn't stay open. Never did for me, not on Mclick, not on Ctrl+L/anyclick.
...About the button. If you could make SOM work with it, it would be really great! The button is an awesome space saver on the toolbar, i can't imagine using Fx w/out it.

According to item #3 at http://custombuttons2.com/en/wiki/extension-faq you are permitted to edit the button's code. So...

Right-click 'the button'. Select 'Edit button'. Click the 'Initialization Code' tab. Just before the line

Code: Select all

that.appendChild(mPop);

try inserting a line containing:

Code: Select all

mPop.setAttribute("onclick", "BookmarksEventHandler.onClick(event);");

Click 'ok' and restart fx so that button gets re-initialized.
This should allow support for middle-clicking, and middle-clicking the button's items should keep the menu open via Stay-Open Menu. (It won't add support for Stay-Open Menu's left-click, ctrl-click, or auto-closing features.)
Since I cannot reproduce your other issues, I have no way to tell whether this is compatible with your other ext/setup unless you try it and let me know. If not, it likely won't work for you if I add partial support for the button via Stay-Open Menu either.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks, but it didn't work for me - the menu still closes after each click Image. I appreciate you taking the time though! I will have to figure which ext. it conflicts with and maybe then i'll be able to use it, thanks!
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement:
Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 beta 3 is now available for testing. Users of previous beta are not automatically updated to beta 3.

Significant changes since previous beta (for changes since 1.5.2 see details link below):
* Fixed: When Boox-related option is enabled, right-clicking 'Mark as read' or 'Open all unread' should not activate those actions.
* Fixed: When opening multiple items from awesomebar, left-click after middle-click does not load left-clicked item (bug in 1.5.3 betas 1 and 2)
* Remove right-click workaround on alltabs menu, for compatibility with fx 3.6 (which uses right-click for context menu)

See http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extension/Prerelease/ for details and to download. Comments welcome.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement:
Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 beta 4 is now available for testing. Users of previous beta are not automatically updated to beta 4. This new beta has only minor changes. If you find any issues, please report them promptly, as 1.5.3 will otherwise be released to amo as final very soon.

Significant changes since previous beta (for changes since 1.5.2 see homepage link below):

* Fixed: Incompatibility with Add Bookmark Here 2 where hilite appears incorrectly

See homepage for details and to download.
custom.firefox.lady

Announcement:
Stay-Open Menu 1.5.3 beta 5 is now available for testing. Users of previous beta are not automatically updated to beta 5. If you find any issues, please report them promptly, as 1.5.3 will otherwise be released to amo as final very soon.

Significant changes since previous beta (for changes since 1.5.2 see homepage link below):

* Backout compatibility fix from beta 4

See homepage for details and to download.