[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
avada

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:shellye5 first reported the disable/enable workaround and it WFM
Well, it might be that things changed after the FF56 beta branching.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Any other supported menus is a catchall for various stayopen enhancements to other extensions (TMP, Context Search, Stylish).
Hmmm... Well, TMP has the closed tabs button (which now has the feature built in), but I can't think of anything for stylish.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Confirmed, thanks for the info, might be useful knowledge even though stayopen is now otherwise incompatible.
Well, I thought you might have a look, since the breakage doesn't seem particularly huge.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Ctrl-Enter keyboard support (Bug 1398990 - devs didn't like my implementation and I can't think of a better method)
By the way, if it comes to that, do you think the modifier will still be different for the urlbar. It's kind of silly that you need to press ctrl+enter everywhere else, but you have to press alt+enter here...
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

avada wrote:Hmmm... Well, TMP has the closed tabs button (which now has the feature built in), but I can't think of anything for stylish.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... sions/beta and search for Stylish or TMP etc.
avada

Post by avada »

Hello custom.firefox.lady!

If you decide to update the addon I came up with a small feature request: Give back the focus to content after a (second) escape key press (option).

Reasoning: I often open stuff in a new tab so I could deal with them later. So when I'm finished I want to get back to content, where I was before. This is what happens without SOM after opening something in a new tab, the exact same element gets back the focus.
But of course this is bypassed so that SOM could function. And when I'm finished I naturally press escape, but that only gives me back the page url and the focus stays in the urlbar, which I need to deal with.
This is rather inefficient, because I need to grab the mouse and find where I exactly was and click there.
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:...If you decide to update the addon I came up with a small feature request: Give back the focus to content after a (second) escape key press (option).

Reasoning: I often open stuff in a new tab so I could deal with them later. So when I'm finished I want to get back to content, where I was before. This is what happens without SOM after opening something in a new tab, the exact same element gets back the focus.
But of course this is bypassed so that SOM could function. And when I'm finished I naturally press escape, but that only gives me back the page url and the focus stays in the urlbar, which I need to deal with.
This is rather inefficient, because I need to grab the mouse and find where I exactly was and click there.
Took me awhile to figure out what you meant. You are starting on a tab with a text-entry box or some such, going to the urlbar to use autocomplete or the dropdown, then after you are done, when you return to that tab, the focus should be back where it originally was. Correct? This is a bug: you should not have to press ESC twice; it should *just work*. Not sure when I might get around to fixing it, but thanks for the report.
The only update I am planning is a Nightly-only mini-version to get back the location bar dropdown support. I originally intended to add back autoclosing, but with the new loadBookmarksInTabs pref, I find I really don't miss autoclosing that much. I am aiming this at 58.0a1 and not testing on older fx versions, though it might possibly work there also.
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Took me awhile to figure out what you meant. You are starting on a tab with a text-entry box or some such, going to the urlbar to use autocomplete or the dropdown, then after you are done, when you return to that tab, the focus should be back where it originally was. Correct?
Yes something like that. Or I might have been in a textfield. Or maybe some different element might have had focus like a HTML player.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:This is a bug: you should not have to press ESC twice; it should *just work*. Not sure when I might get around to fixing it, but thanks for the report.
Okay. I thought it more of a lacking feature because the same thing happens without SOM when you esc out of the urlbar dropdown without clicking or pressing enter on any of the items.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:The only update I am planning is a Nightly-only mini-version to get back the location bar dropdown support. I originally intended to add back autoclosing, but with the new loadBookmarksInTabs pref, I find I really don't miss autoclosing that much. I am aiming this at 58.0a1 and not testing on older fx versions, though it might possibly work there also.
(That's sad, because I'm planning to avoid FF57+ )

Anyway, I can't say I understand how is loadBookmarksInTabs relevant to locationbar autoclosing. I'd say it's pretty useful otherwise I need to keep pressing esc. (Clicking is not really an alternative because I have to click somewhere I don't want to, and shouldn't have to)
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:
custom.firefox.lady wrote:This is a bug: you should not have to press ESC twice; it should *just work*. Not sure when I might get around to fixing it, but thanks for the report.
Okay. I thought it more of a lacking feature because the same thing happens without SOM when you esc out of the urlbar dropdown without clicking or pressing enter on any of the items.
Hmm, ok, not sure if that is intended fx behavior or not.
avada wrote:(That's sad, because I'm planning to avoid FF57+ )
Why not just join us on Nightly where you can still use xul add-ons if you don't want to move to ESR where the old version works? But if not, you could volunteer to test it on older fx version and let me know if it works there <grin>.
avada wrote:Anyway, I can't say I understand how is loadBookmarksInTabs relevant to locationbar autoclosing. I'd say it's pretty useful otherwise I need to keep pressing esc. (Clicking is not really an alternative because I have to click somewhere I don't want to, and shouldn't have to)
Perhaps it's not really relevant there (I haven't tested). I mostly use the 'stayopen' stuff with other menus, but think the locationbar support is also nice to have. But as you previously mentioned, autoclosing there is somewhat buggy anyway.
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Why not just join us on Nightly where you can still use xul add-ons if you don't want to move to ESR where the old version works?
Since they dismantled the APIs that many extensions depend on I don't see that to be very attractive. (Also XUL addons will break even without this due to the lack of continuing development )
custom.firefox.lady wrote: But if not, you could volunteer to test it on older fx version and let me know if it works there <grin>.
I will surely test it.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:Perhaps it's not really relevant there (I haven't tested). I mostly use the 'stayopen' stuff with other menus, but think the locationbar support is also nice to have. But as you previously mentioned, autoclosing there is somewhat buggy anyway.
But if it wasn't buggy it would be awesome. :)
custom.firefox.lady

Stay-Open Menu 4.0b1 is available for testing. This is a majorly stripped down version intended for Firefox Nightly users; please read carefully before installing!

* Note the new description: Location bar dropdown menu stays open when middle-clicking or Ctrl(Meta on Mac)-clicking items, so you can easily open multiple items. Intended as enhancement to browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu preference introduced in Firefox 57, but does not depend on that preference.
* See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=329 for details on that new Firefox preference to get very basic 'stay open' behavior on Bookmarks Menus.
* Note that Stay-Open Menu no longer has any Options to set. If you don't want the Location Bar support, don't install 4.0b1!
* extensions.legacy.enabled must be set in about:config to enable legacy extensions in Firefox57+. (Pref only has effect in Nightly.)
* This version is not signed. It cannot be uploaded to AMO, since AMO does not consider anything except Web Extensions to be compatible with Firefox 57+.
* This version is not supported or tested on previous versions of Firefox, although it may work there if you override compatibility check (4.0b1 claims compatibility with Fx 58.0a1.)

Download Link: http://www.shadetreeapiary.com/extensio ... 0b1_fx.xpi
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Stay-Open Menu 4.0b1 is available for testing.
I did a test on FF56. The claimed features seem to work, albeit with one flaw: Two tabs are opened for every clicked or alt+enter-d item.

(The behavior we discussed earlier when the results are auto closed or esc-d out of are not changed, but I guess they were not intended to)
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote: I did a test on FF56. The claimed features seem to work, albeit with one flaw: Two tabs are opened for every clicked or alt+enter-d item.
Well, that's weird. You didn't somehow manage to get 4.0b1 installed while still having the old version active, did you? Can you try in a clean profile? If still broken, please send exact steps to reproduce, as I'm not seeing that behavior here.
avada wrote:(The behavior we discussed earlier when the results are auto closed or esc-d out of are not changed, but I guess they were not intended to)
No, it may be some time before I get around to investigating that issue.
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Well, that's weird. You didn't somehow manage to get 4.0b1 installed while still having the old version active, did you?
It overwrote 3.0.2. And vice versa when I downgraded. (Same ID I guess.) It's impossible to have both it seems.
afmenez

Post by afmenez »

Hi,

Firefox updated to 56 today, and the add-on in now marked as incompatible and is disabled. I can't describe how annoying it is to use the bookmarks. Is there a plan to to update 3.x for Firefox 56 before the work for 4.x is complete?

Thanks in advance,

Alexandre
Prof. Martelo

Post by Prof. Martelo »

In ff 57 when i want to open multiple livebookmarks, items the preference browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu doesn't work.
Is there any chance to enhance this feature to include livebookmarks?
Last edited by Prof. Martelo on September 29th, 2017, 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
custom.firefox.lady

afmenez wrote:...Firefox updated to 56 today, and the add-on in now marked as incompatible and is disabled. I can't describe how annoying it is to use the bookmarks. Is there a plan to to update 3.x for Firefox 56 before the work for 4.x is complete?...
Edit: Please see my post on next page for an alpha you can download and test if you'd like. It doesn't include Ctrl-click though, and there are no plans to update it to a release version.
Prof. Martelo wrote:In ff 57 when i want to open multiple, the preference browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu doesn't work.
You've set it to false? If you are meaning live bookmark *items*, it WFM. I does not apply to folders (i.e. the live bookmark itself). If you are seeing something different, please post exact steps to reproduce (and preferably try on clean profile).
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on September 29th, 2017, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Martelo

Post by Prof. Martelo »

Prof. Martelo wrote:In ff 57 when i want to open multiple livebookmarks, items the preference browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu doesn't work.
Sorry, I thought is was false by default. After change to false it works fine. Thanks