[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
shellye5

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

Post by shellye5 »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
shellye5 wrote:...when will browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu to work with folders? in bookmark button/panel/sidebar/menubar/etc?
* middle-clicking/ctrl clicking a bookmark folder
* right-clicking the bookmark folder and choosing "Open All in Tabs"
* navigating to the submenu and left-clicking "Open All in Tabs"
That's what stooping from switching to FF57+
Will it make into 59ESR?
Folders would be Bug 1420749

Not sure why you're mentioning 'sidebar' as the Bookmarks Sidebar always stays open unless explicitly closed, regardless of pref.
sorry meant library but it's fixed.
So can this make into esr59?
asking because ESR is what is used here
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

shellye5 wrote:So can this make into esr59?
Next ESR has been bumped to 60, so it's possible.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1420749
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
shellye5 wrote:So can this make into esr59?
Next ESR has been bumped to 60, so it's possible.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1420749

Thank you so much for fixing this!!!! =D>

Edit: Found a bug

enable
browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu
browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent

open a bookmark folder
tabs are opened in reverse order

Just flip browser.tabs.insertAfterCurrent to false
and it is ok

But that pref is very handy and should not break browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu

EDIT2:

It's from

Bug 1344749
Expose API to customize where new tabs open
somebody already posted about the regression from above.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi All,
So unless I'm misunderstanding all of the post's about this extension, this extension no longer works correctly with the newer firefox quantum browser ?
Thanks,
David
custom.firefox.lady

DPW49 wrote:...So unless I'm misunderstanding all of the post's about this extension, this extension no longer works correctly with the newer firefox quantum browser ?
Correct. Read the first post in this thread for details. (Basically the Fx56 version partially works. However they've since ripped out support for inline options so the only way to access those is through about:config. And as they continue to remove things, I suspect it's only a matter of time until nothing works at all.) The Nightly Only version for Fx57+ is working correctly so far. (It has no options and only affects the location bar dropdown.)

Is the new Fx pref

Code: Select all

browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu
(also mentioned in that first post) insufficient for your needs?
Last edited by custom.firefox.lady on May 21st, 2018, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi,
Your add-on used to work so well, now with the newer firefox 'quantum' browser, as everyone knows by now this great add-on doesn't work correctly anymore. At least for me, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have my bookmark folder function similar to the way the favorite folder in the microsoft edge browser functions in windows 10. When you open your favorites in edge, and select the desired saved favorite..the favorite window automatically slides closed. And when you click on the favorite button again, the last opened favorite is 'remembered', so you don't have to 'start over' everytime like you have to do in the firefox quantum browser.
David :shock:
custom.firefox.lady

DPW49 wrote:Hi,
Your add-on used to work so well, now with the newer firefox 'quantum' browser, as everyone knows by now this great add-on doesn't work correctly anymore. At least for me, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have my bookmark folder function similar to the way the favorite folder in the microsoft edge browser functions in windows 10. When you open your favorites in edge, and select the desired saved favorite..the favorite window automatically slides closed. And when you click on the favorite button again, the last opened favorite is 'remembered', so you don't have to 'start over' everytime like you have to do in the firefox quantum browser.
David :shock:
Stay-Open Menu has never functioned in that manner. Although it had some extra features available via Options, it basically worked like the new Fx pref (mentioned in previous post) does. The closest Fx feature to what you describe is the Bookmarks Sidebar (Ctrl-B; though it doesn't automatically close). The Autoclose Sidebar ext did automatically close it, but it never had more that 1 or 2 users, thus it seemed pointless to attempt to port it to a webextension, so I have no idea whether it's even possible.
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply, I'm still trying to discover a method to make firefox quantum function like I want it to.
David
wyxchari

Post by wyxchari »

custom.firefox.lady

@wyxchari

AMO decided at some point to remove access to all beta versions; IIUC, they will eventually remove all legacy addons from AMO entirely.

Update: Legacy addons have been removed from AMO; I've moved it to the Seamonkey add-ons site:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... open-menu/
avada

Post by avada »

Hi!
A good while ago a 3.1.1a1 version was released. I used it for a long time.
But now I'm on current FF. Is there a version that works here. Not only the menu doesn't stay open, but also the new tab is not loaded in the background and switched to instead.
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

avada wrote:Hi!
But now I'm on current FF. Is there a version that works here. Not only the menu doesn't stay open, but also the new tab is not loaded in the background and switched to instead.
There's no version for later FF because it was built into FF itself. Go to about:config, accept to take the risk, search for browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu and change it from True to False. Setting browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground will make them open in the background.
avada

Post by avada »

DavidGB wrote:
avada wrote:Hi!
There's no version for later FF because it was built into FF itself. Go to about:config, accept to take the risk, search for browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu and change it from True to False. Setting browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground will make them open in the background.
Thanks.
It doesn't work however. I get switched to the new tab. (FF83) (It annoys me in itself)
Neither urlbar results, nor history menu works.

It still works for you?
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

Middle-click on the bookmark to have it open in the background in a new tab and leave the menu open while you stay on the current tab. (Middle-click on my laptop being 3 finger tap on touchpad).
Last edited by DavidGB on November 15th, 2020, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidGB

Post by DavidGB »

The change from extension to built in is fully explained by custom.firefox.lady in this thread if you look back to the time around FF57 Quantum release (she made the old extension, and contributed the code to FF to have it built in when FF was changed so it couldn't use the old extensions), and the instructions are in the very first post in this thread, edited after the changes.

Due to FF internal changes, it does not and cannot work on history menus (not the staying open, though you can get the opening in the background in a new tab with middle-click) or in the URLbar drop-down.