[Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.3: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist successor

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
fumantsu

Re: [Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.0: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist succe

Post by fumantsu »

kliu0x52 wrote:
fumantsu wrote:I have an issue with fx4. Whatever link I drag it opens at google. even If I select the link it opens at google. Is anyway to fix it?

The default behavior for a dragged link is to search the link text. If you want to open a dragged link, you need to modify the QuickDrag options to change that default behavior.

yes you have absolute right. For sometime I had stop use firefox and with 4 I had various problems with "drag and drop" extensions. probably I have forgot that I have to check the last option!!!!
arghmage

Post by arghmage »

Seems to be buggy in FF4.
In FF3.x i could rearrange text in text boxes (like this reply box her) with marking it and draging it around. In FF4 every time i try to do this i geht the google search.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

arghmage wrote:Seems to be buggy in FF4.
In FF3.x i could rearrange text in text boxes (like this reply box her) with marking it and draging it around. In FF4 every time i try to do this i geht the google search.

Thanks for reporting this issue. More details about the cause of the bug can be found here. This bug has been resolved in version 2.1.1, which is available at code.kliu.org/quickdrag and is currently awaiting review/approval at addons.mozilla.org.

Other changes in version 2.1.1 include the copying of drag-to-search text to the clipboard if the Ctrl key is held during the drop.

Edit: *sigh* Apparently, bug 281 didn't catch all the cases where content may be editable (as a result of isContentEditable working differently than what the specs seemed to indicate). 2.1.3 has been released with this (hopefully final!) fix.
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!
lukami

Re: [Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.3: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist succe

Post by lukami »

I have a feature request. When I drag a text it always opens at the currently active search engine. It would be nice to have an option to use the default search engine only regardless of the currently active engine.

Thanks for this awesome add-on and keep up the good work!
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

lukami wrote:I have a feature request. When I drag a text it always opens at the currently active search engine. It would be nice to have an option to use the default search engine only regardless of the currently active engine.

The "default" search is a vestigial leftover from before the days of Firefox 2. There is no UI in Firefox to change or configure the default search engine, and there's the possibility that it may be removed in a future version of Firefox. Do you often encounter scenarios in which you are constantly switching the current engine back and forth?
lukami

Post by lukami »

I see. Then perhaps QuickDrag could have an option to specify the search engine that would open when text is dragged.
Google is my main search engine but I have a few others (IMDb, Wikipedia, Amazon, etc.) that I periodically use. Often I forget to switch back to Google and then my dragged text shows up in IMDb, for example.

Thanks.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

lukami wrote:I see. Then perhaps QuickDrag could have an option to specify the search engine that would open when text is dragged.
Google is my main search engine but I have a few others (IMDb, Wikipedia, Amazon, etc.) that I periodically use. Often I forget to switch back to Google and then my dragged text shows up in IMDb, for example.

And you never drag-to-search with other search engines? I don't think that there should be much of a difference between typed searches and dragged searches. In most cases, if someone has a need for using different engines for typed searches, why not for dragged searches as well? I often switch engines for dragged searches. I might be reading about movies, and I'd switch my engine to IMDb so that my dragged searches go there. I have my engine set to Bugzilla when reading Mozilla-related stuff so that I can drag-to-search bug numbers. This is also consistent with the browser's context menu search, which also uses the currently-selected engine.

I think that this is a niche feature request with limited appeal; I don't think there are many people that need their dragged searches always locked down to one engine while their typed searches float. And the reason I am reluctant to implement niche features (unless they are trivially simple to implement, which this is not: it would involve a UI to let the user pick an engine) is that there are other drag-and-drop extensions that do implement every niche feature imaginable, and what sets QuickDrag apart from the others is that it is the light-weight, simple, and relatively more stable option.

In any case, I suppose I could add an about:config option to always use the "default" engine, since that would have a pretty small footprint. (Firefox provides no UI to configure what the "default" engine is, but it can be manually set in about:config.) But I'm still reluctant to do so; I'll think about it.
jorjio

Post by jorjio »

hi
i really like your extention, and use it allot.
i stumbled on a small bug after installing the omnibar addon, and when i drag a word it always uses google regardless to the search engine i choose .
i also reported this on omnibar website.

thanks allot!!
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

jorjio wrote:i stumbled on a small bug after installing the omnibar addon, and when i drag a word it always uses google regardless to the search engine i choose

You'll notice that if you select some text and bring up the right-click context menu, the built-in "Search xxx for" command will always be Google. This is because Firefox (and QuickDrag, which tries to match Firefox's behavior) will use the "default" search engine if the search box has been removed. There is some discussion in Bugzilla to change this behavior in Firefox, and I have been considering making that change in QD as well.
jorjio

Post by jorjio »

i'm actually use the palemoon mod, but it does changes the right-click option as i change the omnibar search engine.
and still quickdrag is using google.

thanks for your reply!
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

Is a bad idea add the feature for show an icon (instead the stupid windows rectangular) when the mouse drag?
Great tool. :-)
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

happysurf wrote:Is a bad idea add the feature for show an icon (instead the stupid windows rectangular) when the mouse drag?

This would not improve usability, and the drag cursor is a system-wide standard, conforming to whatever your operating system's drag cursor is. If you don't like its appearance, you should change it in the OS settings.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

kliu0x52 wrote:
happysurf wrote:Is a bad idea add the feature for show an icon (instead the stupid windows rectangular) when the mouse drag?

This would not improve usability, and the drag cursor is a system-wide standard, conforming to whatever your operating system's drag cursor is. If you don't like its appearance, you should change it in the OS settings.

You are right in fact in XP > performance options > visual effects > show window contents while dragging was disabled, now I can see also the text. :D
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
apminthehole

Post by apminthehole »

Hi, thanks for the great addon, one of the most useful addons.

I have a question (or feature request maybe). Can I change the target search engine to the specific one?
heysitscolin

Post by heysitscolin »

Thanks for the great extension!

I noticed the other day that Google was doing something with its search results that broke QuickDrag. Wrote a quick Greasemonkey hack script to fix it: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/119220

Hopefully it will be useful to people until Google or QuickDrag can get a proper fix out.