[Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.3: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist successor

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kliu0x52

[Ext] QuickDrag 2.1.3: SuperDragAndGo's minimalist successor

Post by kliu0x52 »

QuickDrag
QuickDrag extends Firefox's drag-and-drop functionality. Select some text on a page and drag-n-drop it to search. Select some text that resembles a web address and drag-n-drop it to open the address in a new tab. Drag-n-drop an image to save it.

QuickDrag is a complete re-write of the defunct Super DragAndGo extension. It offers the same functionality, with a smaller, cleaner, and tighter code base. I highly recommend that people read the FAQ to get an overview of what this extension is and where it stands in relation to the other drag-and-drop extensions.

But for those in a hurry, here's the executive summary:
- The goal of QuickDrag is to offer a basic feature set in as small and efficient of a way as possible.
- For people who want to extend Firefox's drag-and-drop functionality with a rich feature set, QuickDrag is not for you. Use something like Drag de Go instead.
- For people who want to extend Firefox's drag-and-drop functionality, who are satisfied with a basic feature set, and who want to get these features with the smallest possible footprint and impact, then you should give QuickDrag a try.
- QuickDrag is a complete re-write of SD&G, and in the process, it fixes some of SD&G's quirks and problems.

If you already have Super DragAndGo, Drag de Go, or Easy DragToGo, you will have to uninstall them before installing QuickDrag.
Last edited by kliu0x52 on March 31st, 2011, 11:06 am, edited 17 times in total.
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

Well done! =D>

I'am a big fan of Super DragAndGo extension manteined by you and I'll migrate to QuickDrag as soon as Firefox 3 will reach final version.
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Looks very nice, going to give this a go. Thanks!
doutor.zero

Post by doutor.zero »

Please, just add the directional feature (drag up to open a new tab in foreground and down in background) to make this extension a truly replacement to SDAG.

Thanks.

p.s. sorry, just now I read the F.A.Q. Why not to add the basic directional, like the one present in SDAG? For me Drag de Go is a very heavy and bloated extension, so I want to use SDAG or this new version of it...
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

I was all excited until I read the FAQ. I was a die-hard Maxthon user and resisted the switch to Firefox until I found the drag and drop extension. I immediately switched and have been a fan/user ever since.

According to your FAQ, dragging and dropping a text link will no longer open the link in a new tab which is what I use most on forums. I'm assuming this means this: Google versus this: http://www.google.com ..... right?

I know you can just middle click but believe it or not, there are still people using a mouse without a middle button (I'm not one of them). And for others, they have a scroll wheel for a middle button which quite often is difficult to click without scrolling first, taking the cursor off the link.

I also see you want to keep the code small and I understand that so adding options in the future is out of the question?
It's like I said.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

@doutor.zero

I'll consider it if there is a lot of interest...

@Friar Tuck

This behavior can easily be changed with a few changes to a few lines of code. I'll probably add a checkbox in the preferences window in the next version that would allow people to choose the old behavior. You're not the first to ask for this, and the changes needed to support such a preference are very minor...
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Awesome! Using it now in FF3. THANKS!
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

kliu0x52 wrote:@Friar Tuck

This behavior can easily be changed with a few changes to a few lines of code. I'll probably add a checkbox in the preferences window in the next version that would allow people to choose the old behavior. You're not the first to ask for this, and the changes needed to support such a preference are very minor...

Awesome. You da man. :)
It's like I said.
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

Friar Tuck wrote:I know you can just middle click but believe it or not, there are still people using a mouse without a middle button (I'm not one of them). And for others, they have a scroll wheel for a middle button which quite often is difficult to click without scrolling first, taking the cursor off the link.

Here's a preliminary version with an option to override the link dragging behavior so that if you drag-n-drop a text link or an image link, it will emulate a middle-click instead of searching the text or saving the image. A final version will be posted once I get localization strings for the new option. Aside from the missing translation for the new option, the code in the prelim version should be stable and final, so it should be fine for use. (Of course, if you do happen to discover any bugs that I have missed, let me know)
Edit: Version 1.0.1 has been released, and thus, the preliminary has been removed. :)
Last edited by kliu0x52 on April 9th, 2008, 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

kliu0x52
BTW, about translation... Maybe you should add your extension to Babelzilla? :)
PS. Your server gives mime-type for extension as 'text/plain'. Can you change it to 'application/x-xpinstall'?
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

Version 1.0.1 has been released with a new option to treat the drag-and-drop of a clickable link as a middle-click.

Merlyel wrote:BTW, about translation... Maybe you should add your extension to Babelzilla? :)

I've never heard of it before. I'll look into it. :)

Merlyel wrote:PS. Your server gives mime-type for extension as 'text/plain'. Can you change it to 'application/x-xpinstall'?

Yea, I had forgotten to configure the MIME-type for the temporary location that I had put the preliminary version in. The final releases have always been served with the correct MIME-type.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Perfect! And I wrote a review for you. :D
It's like I said.
victorI

Post by victorI »

please, take a look into this - on a non-US locale (RU) using All-in-one sideBar the extension has no name - just an empty space there; about dialog also has no extension name nor author name

thanks
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

victor1
Screenshot. As you can see, AIOS + QD - normal behaviour (though description is not translated).

kliu0x52
What about translation for description in fx 2.x? :)
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

Yea, I checked the documentation, and the localization thing is indeed Fx3-only, so I guess I'll go back to the old way of doing that for 1.0.2...