[Ext] TabLang - separate keyboard layout for tabs and urlbar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
natong

Re: [Ext] TabLang - keeps separate keyboard layout for each tab

Post by natong »

I love you so much. I find this for 1 year. It is what i want. Please don't add huge features... keep it tiny...

It's good if you can make another extension for change keyboard cursor or color for a difference languages.

example:

English: show normal cursor and black
Russian: show block cursor and red
Last edited by natong on July 21st, 2009, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natong

Post by natong »

I found one bug. Maybe it's not bug because you only focus at TAB.

I always use multiple windows (not TAB). Example: 2 windows.

When I changed keyboard in address URL bar of the Windows 1, it's always changed locale language in address URL bar of the Windows 2 too.
But search bar and find bar works very well. They are totally separates. But nevermind, We never change locale in address URL bar. I just test it feature.
Crazy-EyE

Post by Crazy-EyE »

natong wrote:I love you so much. I find this for 1 year. It is what i want. Please don't add huge features... keep it tiny...

It's good if you can make another extension for change keyboard cursor or color for a difference languages.

example:

English: show normal cursor and black
Russian: show block cursor and red

Repeating what I answered you in AMO comments:
Thank you for your comment.

I'm not going to add any "huge features". Instead, currently I'm working on adding options to disable features users may not really need.

Changing cursor/color is currently impossible, sorry. Reasons were given previously here in my comment about switching dictionary. After all, you ask me to keep the extension tiny :-)

And some technical details about switching dictionaries (same applies to changing cursor as well):
currently TabLang reads/sets current system input language when user moves input focus from one input field to another, while your idea implies changing spellchecker language immediately after you switch input language (say pressing Alt+Shift) and requires getting system notifications for language changes (it's hard or maybe even impossible AFAIK).

So even if your suggestion is feasible it requires TOO much new code and rewriting. I'd better focus on some more important features.

natong wrote:When I changed keyboard in address URL bar of the Windows 1, it's always changed locale language in address URL bar of the Windows 2 too.
But search bar and find bar works very well.

It's by design: same language for all urlbars, separate language for searchbars and findbars of different windows.

natong wrote:But nevermind, We never change locale in address URL bar.

It was correct for Firefox 2 which was current version of Firefox when this part of the code was written. Moreover, it was the very reason that made me to write this code in this exact way. However now some users often use awesomebar to search their history and use their native language instead of English (default language for URLs). I'm planning to include improvements in this behavior in the next version.
rambalac

Post by rambalac »

How about small feature?
I have Russian and Japanese layouts in Windows. Japanese layout is using IME and has several modes, default is... English, others are different japanese input types.
So i use Japanese for English input, but if i switch to Japanese mode to enter some text it keeps Japanese mode after focusing on location bar, so i have to switch back to English mode for entering address.
Is it possible to turn IME off in location bar or atleast switch it to English mode?
Crazy-EyE

Post by Crazy-EyE »

rambalac, thanks for reporting. The problem was I wanted to test how my extension worked with Japanese, but couldn't because my version of WinXP didn't support Japanese at all. I've installed Win7 recently, it has Japanese and "Microsoft IME" for it so now I can see this bug and try to fix it in the next version (I think it's possible but I have to read MS docs first). However I don't have much free time now. Possibly I will make update for TabLang in September-October, but still I can't promise, sorry.
rambalac

Post by rambalac »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171154 should help if there is window handle for location bar in Firefox
Yobobo

Post by Yobobo »

Hi,

I posted the request for Thunderbird support over at MOA.

Using Thunderbird I frequently switch between the following windows and input controls: inbox view, quick find, message search, address book, creating events in Lightning, and message composition.

Usually I need the inbox view to be in English (for keyboard shortcuts), as well as the address book and creating events. I switch locale to write emails (only some), and sometimes to search for messages.

A frustrating scenario: composing a message, returning to the inbox, and pressing "'A" ten times to archive a message, just to find out that nothing is happening because the input locale is not English.

Thanks!
Crazy-EyE

Post by Crazy-EyE »

Hi, Yobobo

From your description it seems the problem is shortcuts don't work when input language is not English. As I remember, it was bug in Fx and Tb 2.0 that no shortcuts work at all when language was not English. Now shortcuts like Ctrl+N work (at least for me with Russian language) but one letter shortcuts (like A, F) don't work (I've tested in Tb 3.0 and 3.1beta1).

I think you should ask in Thunderbird forum here how to solve your issue. I believe there is some extension to fix the problem. Also I think there should be bug about it in Bugzilla but probably nobody wants to work on it.
Yobobo

Post by Yobobo »

Thanks. You are right. Shortcuts should work regardless of locale. I couldn't find a report in Bugzilla.

But apart from shortcuts, the add-on would still be very useful, in cases such as switching between two messages being composed, switching between message composition and mail search, and more.

Thanks again.
webron

Re: [Ext] TabLang - keeps separate keyboard layout for each

Post by webron »

Hi there,
This is a very important extension for me and I have used it for a long time now.
Any chance seeing an updated version for FF4?
I've been using the nightly builds/betas for a while now, and unfortunately it doesn't work in it.
Thanks,
Ron
Crazy-EyE

Post by Crazy-EyE »

Hi,

I know current version of this extension doesn't work in Fx4, and it shouldn't.

Updating it for Fx4 is now halfway done. I hope I'll finish OS-related components this weekend, but browser-related part is yet to be adapted for new Firefox 4 realm. I can't say how long will it take to finish, I only believe I do it before Fx4 release.
webron

Post by webron »

Thanks! That's really appreciated.
If you need someone to beta-test it, I'm your guy!
yishaysho

Post by yishaysho »

Excellent addon, one of my favorites. Can we have a version for Firefox 4? It is sorely needed.
Raf9600

Post by Raf9600 »

Автор, не забывай о своем детище! В Fx 4.0 всякие корректоры типа ЯндексБара работают не адекватно, так что все уповаем на тебя!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Raf9600 wrote:Автор, не забывай о своем детище! В Fx 4.0 всякие корректоры типа ЯндексБара работают не адекватно, так что все уповаем на тебя!

Translation:

The author, do not forget about your creation! Any correctors of the type Of [yandeksBara] work not adequately in Fx 4.0, so that all we rely on you!