[Ext]Show Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alice0775

Re: [Ext]Show Parent Folder

Post by Alice0775 »

her34 wrote:please add option box to have hierarchy column displayed from end

currently displayed from beginning:
Bookmarks Menu\folder\sub...

if displayed from end:
...rks Menu\folder\subfolder\

Pls try the following pre-release version.
show_parent_folder-1.6pre-fx.xpi
foxfrog

Post by foxfrog »

Hello, the addon "Show Parent Folder" doesn't work in conjunction with the add-on "Places in Tab" (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/14575), which is an add-on that provides the option to display the bookmark manager in a tab instead of a new window. When bookmark manager is opened in a new tab, "Show Parent Folder" doesn't work and there's no possibility to add the parent folder column. When bookmark manager is opened in a new window, everything works. So I don't know if this is a problem of "Show Parent Folder " or "Places in Tab". Maybe the developers can communicate and find out why it doesn't work?!

Thank you for reading.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

foxfrog wrote:Hello, the addon "Show Parent Folder" doesn't work in conjunction with the add-on "Places in Tab" (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/14575), which is an add-on that provides the option to display the bookmark manager in a tab instead of a new window. When bookmark manager is opened in a new tab, "Show Parent Folder" doesn't work and there's no possibility to add the parent folder column. When bookmark manager is opened in a new window, everything works. So I don't know if this is a problem of "Show Parent Folder " or "Places in Tab". Maybe the developers can communicate and find out why it doesn't work?!

Thank you for reading.

I don't know what "Places in Tab".

But you can display the Library with "Show Parent Folder" in the tab as following.
Type chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul in location bar.

Thanks.
aminits

[Ext]Show Parent Folder - sort by parent

Post by aminits »

Hi. After installing "Show Parent Folder" extension, it is working for me and I am able to see the parent folder in the library. The problem I see is that in the library window all columns are sortable - you sort by clicking on the column header. The "Parent Folder" column is not sortable. Is it possible to sort by parent folder? Thank you.
Alice0775

Re: [Ext]Show Parent Folder - sort by parent

Post by Alice0775 »

aminits wrote:Hi. After installing "Show Parent Folder" extension, it is working for me and I am able to see the parent folder in the library. The problem I see is that in the library window all columns are sortable - you sort by clicking on the column header. The "Parent Folder" column is not sortable. Is it possible to sort by parent folder? Thank you.

The colum can not sort.
Dick Guertin

Post by Dick Guertin »

I installed your latest version in Mac OS X 10.4.11, FF 3.5.2, and it doesn't work. BUT, when I added "Go Parent Folder", right-click on a selected bookmark in the search results allowed me to jump to the parent folder. So in combination, I get what I need.
Dick.Guertin; Firefox 56.0.2;
Mac OSX 10.10.6; 2.5 Ghz Intel Core I5
Dick Guertin

Post by Dick Guertin »

Allow me to correct myself! I didn't know about right-click on the Headings of the Organize Bookmarks right pane. When I tried that, I discovered "Parent Folder" as a choice, and it works on my Mac! So my prior post was in error. My apologies. Great work Alice0775.

PS. Some earlier post(s) talk about activating Parent Folder from the Views (menu). On the Mac, there is no such label, but there is an icon on the top-left that looks like a paper-scroll (several horizontal lines). Click on the drop-down arrow to see "Show Columns" and "Sort". You'll want to show the columns. An alternative is to right-click on any of the column headings, and you'll get a drop-down list of choices (select from them). You can drag any column heading to another (horizontal) position to reposition that column. I placed "Parent Folder" in front of "Name" on the far left. You can change the width of the columns by placing your cursor on a vertical dividing line, and it should change to indicate the ability to click-and-drag the line.
Dick.Guertin; Firefox 56.0.2;
Mac OSX 10.10.6; 2.5 Ghz Intel Core I5
iav

Post by iav »

Not work for Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre) Gecko/20100420 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

iav wrote:Not work for Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre) Gecko/20100420 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Thanks for your report.

The bookmarks/history UI going to be changed in Minefield greatly And Firefox 3.7 also.
Bug 523519 - [meta] Places UI Changes in Firefox 3.7
Bug 523520 - [meta][project] Places UI

I wait for these changes to be settled.
opus312

Post by opus312 »

Installed this, doesn't appear to do anything (no Parent Folder column added). Perhaps it doesn't work in Windows Vista?
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Select Library > Views > Show Columns > Parent Folder
viewtopic.php?p=3913215#p3913215
opus312

Post by opus312 »

Ahhh, there it is, thanks Alan!
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome. (It's a FAQ.)
iav

Post by iav »

Yes, it works, when it not needed - when bookmarks viewed by opening folders in tree pane.
And this field is empty, when it really needed - for search results.
opus312

Post by opus312 »

iav wrote:Yes, it works, when it not needed - when bookmarks viewed by opening folders in tree pane. And this field is empty, when it really needed - for search results.

Not sure what you mean, seems to work ok for me in search results.