[Ext]Show Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
waydown

Re: [Ext]Show Parent Folder

Post by waydown »

Yeah, although raised while using Show Parent Folder, somewhere along the way (after posting) I've understood that this is not a problem of the addon but Firefox's itself. At best, maybe someone had a workaround for this.
Oh well, sorry for any inconvenience.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

The bug was reported to Bugzilla about 4 years ago and there has been no action since about 2 years ago. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a quick fix @waydown!! ](*,)

Slow workaround - If you add the Unsorted Bookmarks folder to your Bookmarks toolbar, you can drag and drop them one by one, in effect moving them and not copying.
Cheers,
Keith
shape5

Post by shape5 »

I believe there is a bug with a lowercase letter "s" not displaying in the Parent Folder column. Every parent folder that starts with a lowercase "s" has that letter omitted from the folder path. So if the parent folder is "safari/imported bookmarks" it displays like this: "afari/imported bookmarks". However, uppercase shows up fine. So if i change it to "Safari/imported bookmarks" then it displays correctly.
sharon301

Post by sharon301 »

what version of Firefox does Show Parent folder work with?
j-t-r

Post by j-t-r »

Thanks!

I miss the possibility to sort items according to parent folders:
Could you please add it (when "show folder hierarchy" not enabled)?

Alternatively, could you add checkbox "current parent folder only" (or something like this) next to the Search Bookmarks field:
It would then filter only currently searched items with the same parent folder as selected item. For example to move all these items to some other folder.

Many thanks for considering my request.
j-t-r

Post by j-t-r »

Upou finding your other addon called SavedSearchButton out, I would like to change my request a bit. I would like to ask if you can add menuitem Parent Folder to menu below:

So the menuitem This Folder would restrict searches according to selected folder in the left pane:

And menuitem Parent Folder according to selected folder in the right pane:

It should allow me to change folders on-the-fly. So I can enter string into Search Bookmarks field, the select an item in the right pane, click Parent Folder, click Bookmarks, select another item and then click Parent Folder again etc.

Many thanks for considering this request too.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

@j-t-r, thanks for the suggestion.

The legacy XUL/XPCOM extension(such as this one) will be deprecated by end of 2017[1].
And sorry, I cannot support this any more.
( [1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/develo ... evelopment )
larrymcg

Post by larrymcg »

Maybe not the best place to ask, but......

Is there a Google Chrome extension that does what Show Parent Folder does? I can't find one. I know that chrome will show a bookmark in its parent folder but that is pretty much useless. Having a parent folder column in the bookmark library is Wonderful!

-- Larry
Firefox on Win 10 64bit system.
BarbieBarb

Post by BarbieBarb »

Thankyou very much for this much needed addon Alice0775
1. I really need to keep my addons to a minimum to prevent the high CPU and to quicken startup, and also the less addons then there is less addon maintainance with updates whenever there is a Firefox version update.
So it would be much better if the Addon included as an Option for "Go Parent Folder" so that there is no need to add an extra addon.
2. Would really like this addon to be RESTARTLESS because I rarely have need to view the parent folder and would like to keep it in Disabled state, and so I could just enable quickly without restart when needed. Could you please implement this as RESTARTLESS?
Thankyou
Last edited by BarbieBarb on May 19th, 2016, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't need to restart Firefox each time you wish to use the extension, only after initially installing the extension.
BarbieBarb

Post by BarbieBarb »

DanRaisch
Huh? I keep the addon Disabled when not needed which is 99% of the time, to keep my enabled addons to a minimum... when I want to check Folders I go to Addons Manager and Enable it, and in Addons Manager it instructs me to "Restart Now". It is not a Restartless addon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Disabling extensions between uses is NOT a standard procedure and not one that I anticipated you using. Normally, restartless is used in reference to installation. If you experiment, you may find that leaving that extension enabled will not have any noticeable impact on performance.
BarbieBarb

Post by BarbieBarb »

Well just to say...
One addon might not matter but it all adds up with too many addons that are only used 99% of the time.
With all the Firefox problems with too many addons enabled (Firefox not responding, frequent crashes, lagging scrolling, stuttering video play etc)... and having to go through the procedure of safemode and addon testing...we are left on our own to find a way to resolve the constant CPU problems and... Toggling Restartless Addons is what is best for me.

These are a few I Toggle because I rarely use them so no need to keep them in enabled state:
Download YouTube Videos as MP4
Video DounloadHelper
Nimbus Screen Capture
Element Inspector

But the magic of it is to use this fantastic Custombutton
Toggle Restartless Add-ons http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... ?f=4&t=916 (author infocatcher)
where I just click to Toggle, without ever having to open tab to Addons-Manager.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Is there a Google Chrome extension that does what Show Parent Folder does?
not really-try "neater bookmarks" it will show you the parent folder when mouse is over search result. offers only a button.
larrymcg

Post by larrymcg »

Brummelchen, Thanks for the suggestion to try "neater bookmarks". It can help in some cases.
-- Larry
Firefox on Win 10 64bit system.