[Ext]Show Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
gfhfgfdfdh

Re: [Ext]Show Parent Folder

Post by gfhfgfdfdh »

Hi and thanks for this amazing Add-On. today I thought "might be nice to show the Path" - And looking at Options, this is already possible ;D

The Sorting would be really amazing ;D
xed

Post by xed »

Can you please update or modify your add on(s) to work with SeaMonkey?

I and I think many others would really appreciate it.

Thank you for any help you may provide.
"Doin' right ain't got no end." Cap'n Red Legs
xed

Post by xed »

I've looked for a tutorial on how to make extensions compatible with SeaMonkey, but I can't seem to find one.

Can someone point it out to me if one exists?
"Doin' right ain't got no end." Cap'n Red Legs
PaulRichardson

Post by PaulRichardson »

Is there a bug report for this add-on? I would like to participate in raising the volume, if anyone has made their voice heard that this is NOT just some feature, but a critical function BROKEN/MISSING in Firefox, and probably pushing folks away to other browsers that can actually get it right.
PacoH

Post by PacoH »

This is OK but there are several limitations which I think need to be addressed. First I can't sort the results by folder. I click the Parent Folder column heading and nothing… Second, and I don't know if this is possible, the ability to search by folder name. The built-in search function is ridiculous. It does not include folder names at all and it does include results where the url contains the search string. So too many irrelevant results that are not sortable by folder.
viking2ev

Post by viking2ev »

I am running FF v23 & Show Parent Folder v1.8. I enabled (checked)the Parent Folder column, but it is blank for all found bookmarks. I also installed Go Parent Folder and that works fine (it takes me to the parent folder).
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Hi,

The latest version of Firefox is 27.0.1 and SPF is 2.1. You could try updating them before anything else I would suggest.
Cheers,
Keith
hazardass

Post by hazardass »

Great add-on!

You should combine Show Parent Folder, Go Parent Folder, and Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus into one extension :)
waydown

Post by waydown »

Hello

I use this addon in order to locate bookmarks in Unsorted Bookmarks under a certain search criteria then move them to the right folder. For example, I use the library's "search bookmarks" bar to search for, let's say, "nintendo" in order to take any related bookmarks under "unsorted bookmarks" and place them in the proper folder i.e "Video Games". But it seems that if the "search results" are visible only copying is possible. Not only by dragging the bookmarks you always get the + symbol but even if you "right click-cut" you actually end up with copy and duplicate bookmarks again. Any workaround for this bug?
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Wouldn't it be better for you to use - Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks - then you can search and move easily?

Just an observation!!
Cheers,
Keith
waydown

Post by waydown »

Ummm... But that's what I do. Show all bookmarks=Library. That's where the problem occurs.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

It works fine for me by selecting the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar, then dragging from the main area to the required folder in the sidebar.

You can select mutiple files by selecting the first and then using Ctrl to add others.
Cheers,
Keith
waydown

Post by waydown »

keithy397 wrote:It works fine for me by selecting the Unsorted Bookmarks folder in the sidebar, then dragging from the main area to the required folder in the sidebar.

You can select mutiple files by selecting the first and then using Ctrl to add others.

The thing is, as I've been saying since the beginning, my workflow takes places in the Library for this particular task, not in the sidebar. After all, the library is where Show Parent Folder is needed.
The sidebar is great for opening up bookmarks and for saving bookmarks in the intended folder on the spot with the help of the great "add bookmark here" extension but sketchy for sorting stuff in my opinion. Doing what you say means scrolling up and down and opening up folders all the time (rather than simply drag bookmarks from the right side of the screen to the left by using the library which is more or less the natural environment for sorting stuff) and most importantly you lose the power this very addon offers ie. searching for a word, having all the bookmarks containing sorted before your eyes with the added benefit of knowing what their parent folder is, which makes moving things around/sorting much simpler/faster. Do you see my point?

Thanks for trying to help though. :wink:
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Thing is @waydown, you're talking about all these file and multiple file movements from folder to folder in the Bookmarks library but the Show Parent Folder extension does what it says on the tin, it has no further functions. Forgive me if I'm confused about your goals here but this is the Show Parent Folder thread, so maybe you're questions should be asked in the Features or Support forum because the Bookmarks Library is intrinsic to Firefox, not this extension.
Cheers,
Keith
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

It is known problem.
#543314 [Firefox:Bookmarks & History]-Bookmarks can not be moved (only copied) by dragging from a bookmarks search [Win]