[Ext]Go Parent Folder

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ZNTB2

Re: [Ext]Go Parent Folder

Post by ZNTB2 »

Does anyone know of a way to search for bookmark folders as well as just bookmarks in Firefox? I'm trying to bring up actual folders in the bookmarks library search results as well as just bookmarks. Recently, I downloaded two extensions - Go Parent Folder and Show Parent Folder which will bring me to the host folder if I right click on the file. That's a step in the right direction but still short of the prize. Is there a way to search for bookmark folders via an extension or chromedit ?
yosemiteg

Post by yosemiteg »

Hi, I am not very programming savvy. I can't find the option that is referenced in this add-on. I have Vista and Firefox 13.0. Where can I find the option?
Thanks.
roseuz

Re: Deleting bookmark deletes entire folder

Post by roseuz »

airolg wrote:I think I've found a bug:
I'm using Firefox 11.0 with the "Go Parent Folder" add-on, on an iMac running OS X 10.5.8. When I search my bookmarks, then go to the parent folder, and then delete that particular bookmark, the entire parent folder gets deleted, not just the one bookmark. It's now happened twice.

Airolg, the answer to your problem was listed just a few posts above yours. I am not sure why Alice0775 didn't point it out to you. You need to make sure that in Options, "Disable select parent folder in Sidebar" is checked. You most likely unchecked it one day and forgot to check it back.
avada

Post by avada »

Hello Alice0775!

Since localization probably won't happen, I'd like to request a feature to customize the menu item text, so I can do it myself.
MozillaFirefoxNewbie

Post by MozillaFirefoxNewbie »

While this is a very useful tool, as most others have rated it, there's an annoying problem.

Many times when selecting a Tag in order to access a website there will be a very long wait, usually resulting in a “Try Again” message because access has “Timed Out”. However, if using the tag to actually go to the Parent folder by right clicking the Tag and then clicking on the actual Bookmark the website usually gets accessed quickly. This happens most often on Yahoo websites, but occurs on most others as well. I have a DSL internet connection, which most times is pretty fast. If I select another website, but find it with my browser, rather than through a Tag, access usually takes place quickly, unless there is a problem that appears more related to the Internet than to the Tags and Go To Parent Folder feature. This seems to indicate that in programming the “Go To Parent Folder” feature some code had to become part of the Firefox browser that interferes with access to a website since the URL had to be passed to the Address Line.

I do update Firefox regularly, so it would seem that such things as re-installing Firefox would not correct the problem.

I use Eset NOD 32 Anti-virus. It could be the issue, but I have no idea because I’m not a programmer. If it is the issue, then disabling the anti-virus software is not an acceptable solution.

I tried to post this on Mozilla Firefox to get a response. An “Administrator” replied but didn’t know anything about this Add-On.

I have rated this 2-stars on the Go Parent Folder webpage because of the amount of time this feature takes away from access to websites quickly. I'm not sure if this is anything the developer can solve as there are basic problems with Firefox when it comes to sorting, which indicates reduced usability. Tags, for example, are not sorted by default, nor are Bookmarks. This is a major issue that Firefox developers have not addressed, even though this issue was mentioned a number of years ago. This could mean that there is also an issue when a developer interfaces with Firefox when developing an Add-On.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

@MozillaFirefoxNewbie:
I definitely believe that the your problem is not related to this.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

For Firefox30+, Working in progress.... http://space.geocities.jp/alice0775/STO ... der2.9.xpi
avada

Post by avada »

Would localizations be possible? Or editing the menu item name. It looks awkward that this is the only english menu item int the context menu.
sabuncua

Post by sabuncua »

This is one of a handful of extremely useful add-on's, thank you. The keyboard shortcut used to work (CTRL+F1), but no longer does. I am using FF 37.0.2 on Windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks again.
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

Great tool, also works fine with EN-US SeaMonkey 2.33.1 (German Language pack) Gecko/20100101 Build 20150321194901 (Classic Theme) on German WIN7 64bit.

For details please see https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/AddonCompat#Compatible

Can you please add SM 2.33.* to allowed applications?
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

Some suggestions for future implementation by the add on designer:

Is it possible to get the View shown by Show Parent Folder added to Go Parent Folder add-on ? ?
We really should not need to install both to get the best functionality.
Also, how about us being able to bring the Bookmark Search box out so it can be placed on a Toolbar ? ?
If we can do this, then the Library need not be opened in order to search for a Bookmark (and no,
I do not want a search function that uses a Sidebar)

Thank you
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

XUL based addon will be killed by Mozilla.
So, I cannot continue develop these extension(include this).
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

When that happens I stay on Firefox 47 until most of my add ons can work with newer (not better) way
Mozilla wants to do things. Your add on was something that Mozilla should have incorporated into Firefox
to begin with.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

stay on 45 esr if you decide to stop upgrading - any other will be vulnerable if not current. that would be negligent.
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

What I would do is consider FF47ESR when it comes out ... I do not like the fact that
Mozilla is ruining add on development, which made the browser so customizable in the
first place. And as we are seeing, some add on coders are not willing to try and redo add ons
for the newer system.