[Ext] Page Hacker 3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nico(at)nc

[Ext] Page Hacker 3

Post by nico(at)nc »

Image Page Hacker adds a button to edit the currently viewed page.
19/08/2017 - version 3.0b1

Page Hacker is now compatible with Firefox 57 and features a draggable floating toolbar. Get the beta version from Mozilla Addons!

Changelog:
  • Extension rewritten to be compatible with Firefox 47+.
  • Now features a draggable formatting toolbar.
  • New icon.
  • Included locales: de, en, es-ES, fr, ja.

Screenshots:
Image         Image

Initial post:
23/10/2008 - version 1.2

Simply press the Ctrl+F2 keyboard shortcut or click on the skull button to edit the displayed page. Then, do the same thing to quit the edition mode.

To add the button wherever you want, right-click on the toolbar, choose "Customize…" and drag'n'drop the skull button from the "Customize Toolbar" window to any toolbar.

This can be used for various things: editing a web page before printing it, making a hoax, or even using it as a text editor, just by using it an a blank tab. You can also save the edited page as you normally would (File → Save as… or Ctrl+S).

Latest stable version: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/5753.
Latest dev version: see http://nicopensource.free.fr/pages/pagehacker.php.

Included locales: ar, cs-CZ, en-GB, en-US, fr-FR, hu-HU, ja-JP, nl-NL, pt-BR, ru-RU, tr-TR, zh-TW, ca-AD, de-DE, es-ES, he-IL, it-IT, lt-LT, pl-PL, pt-PT, sk-SK, zh-CN. If you want to translate the extension in your language, create an account on BabelZilla and register as translator for Page Hacker in the Web Translation System (WTS) : http://www.babelzilla.org/.
Last edited by nico(at)nc on August 19th, 2017, 2:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nicolas
tomcloyd

Re: [Ext] Page Hacker 1.0

Post by tomcloyd »

[Running on Kubuntu Linux 8.04.01, with Firefox 3.0.1]

I installed Page Hacker (PH) from Firefox addons page. It's now in my instlled addons list. I've restarted the browser twice but still cannot get "Preferences" to un-gray. I added the PH button to toolbar. Clicking it does nothing.

I'm dead-ended. Any suggestions?
======================
Tom Cloyd / Spokane, WA, USA
======================
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Hi,

Is it Page Hacker 1.1 from AMO or 2.0 alpha1 ? And have you got something in the error console (when starting Firefox and/or when clicking on the button) ?
Nicolas
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Sorry, I didn't notice "from Firefox addons page". It is normal that preferences is gray as there is no preference in version 1.*. So you still can't edit the page after a click on the button? And is your Firefox in English (en-US, as here)?
Nicolas
tomcloyd

Post by tomcloyd »

Yes, it's English.

And...now I feel like some kind of idiot. The addon is working fine. I just edited a local HTML page, saved it, reloaded it and confirmed that the edit's there. Very slick.

The problem was that it was assumed I'd know what to do with it, AND that the thing about the grayed out preferences was not documented. I've tried other, previously available editors in Firefox, and when the editor was initiated, there was always a special window or some other indication that we were suddenly editing. I was expecting that.

It was easy to assume, when clicking the button didn't do anything visible (well, actually it seems to change the CSS associated with my page links, but skip that for now) and the "preferences" was not accessible, that there had been some kind of install problem, or addon conflict. or whatever.

Noticing the suddenly blue links (NOT my styling for sure) made me think differently about what was going on, since the bluing seems to toggle on and off as I clicked the button. (Thought: it IS doing something!).

Now...how can one style the WYSIWYG text? (Other than by accessing the source HTML in a text editor)? Without being able to do that, the functionality of what otherwise is a pretty slick addon is rather limited. Am I missing something? I sure hope so, because at this point we're half way home to having something I can really use. Ideally one can assign at least elementary tags, and hopefully styling rules. But...I may be reaching for the moon here.

(And thanks for your quick response - very much appreciated.)
======================
======================
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

tomcloyd wrote:Now...how can one style the WYSIWYG text? (Other than by accessing the source HTML in a text editor)? Without being able to do that, the functionality of what otherwise is a pretty slick addon is rather limited. Am I missing something? I sure hope so, because at this point we're half way home to having something I can really use. Ideally one can assign at least elementary tags, and hopefully styling rules. But...I may be reaching for the moon here.

It will be available soon in Page Hacker 2.0. An alpha1 version is already available on my website: http://nicopensource.free.fr/index.php? ... -Hacker-en and ready for translation: http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=3526.
Nicolas
tomcloyd

Re: [Ext] Page Hacker 1.1

Post by tomcloyd »

Fantastic. You're crafting a very nice thing here. A real public service. I'm looking for something which one of the customers of my web design business can use - someone not exactly well informed about HTML and CSS. You're clearly headed that direction.

And, until then, one can still clone styled elements already on the page, then cut and past them into position. This well may suffice for my customer.

But I look forward to working with ver. 2. It ought to be popular. Best of luck in the work, and I'll keep my out for the upgrade (may even have to go try the alpha myself - probably will - my French is poor, but not nonexistent).

Thanks for doing this work.
======================
======================
thoste

Post by thoste »

Hello,

Page Hacker is excellent.

However I miss one important thing:

I often want to get rid of Flash objects/components before I print out a page or save it to file as *.mht.

So I don't want to modify Flash areas but delete them.

I think this must easily be feasible.

Could you include a feature to remove marked flash parts from a page in the next release?

Thank you

Thomas
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Hi thoste,

I'll try to include this feature in the next version (I've already got a lot of new things in it, but only on my hard drive for the moment; as soon as I have time, I try to finish some things and put online a 2.0 beta version).

However, you can already delete Flash objects by putting the cursor before/after them and pressing Del/Backspace.
Nicolas
pstover

Post by pstover »

Hi Nico,

once more I tried to delete certain parts from a web page with Page Hacker.
Some parts could be removed but others remain stable and undeleteable although there
were identified correctly.

Have a look at the attached sample snaphot.

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... posxm8.png

As you can see the rectangle which I want to delete is correctly identified.
A good solution would be in such a situation just to hit the <DEL> key.
The rectangle should afterwards finish.

Could you include such a Hotkey function in the next release of Page Hacker?

Thomas
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Page Hacker uses Gecko's built-in rich text editor, so I don't plan to modify it, just to make something around it, enhancing what can be done just with a single bookmarklet (especially with Page Hacker 2.0, which I hope to be able to finish soon :)).

Concerning tables, you can delete them by selecting them fully (from outside the table) before hitting Del, or with the little crosses on around the table :

You can however report a bug on Bugzilla about Midas (Product: Core, Component: Editor).

By the way, Page Hacker 1.2 (nothing special: code enhancements and translations updates) has been uploaded on AMO yesterday, it is now waiting for editors review and should be available soon.
Nicolas
pstover

Re: [Ext] Page Hacker 1.2

Post by pstover »

Just another question:

Very often I want to save a web page as one single file (= *.mht file).
For Firefox there is a well known, perfect tool which is even compatible with IntExp:
UnMHT available here:
http://www.unmht.org/unmht/en_index.html

Now when I modify a web page with Page Hacker and save it with UnMHT and re-load it later then the previous
page modifications are NOT visible again.

How can I save what I see?

Thomas
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Check that you select "Web Archive (.mht) (current state)" and not "Web archive (.mht) (original file)" in the Save as MHT dialog.
Nicolas
pstover

Post by pstover »

Ok, thank you.

Still one question: If I remove some content it works. However sometimes there remains still some (unfilled, empty) space
(on top/bottom) which cannot be remove with Page Hacker (at the moment).

When I inspect the remaining html source then I found a lot of empty <tr>....</tr> table rows.

Is there no way from inside Page Hacker to remove these table rows as well?
Or to let me shrink unused, empty space otherwise ?

Thank you

Thomas
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Could you give an example of such a page? (or edit and save it to show the problem)
Nicolas