[Ext] MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4 (11-9-09)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tonymec

Re: [Ext] MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4 (11-9-09)

Post by tonymec »

keithy397 wrote:I was referring to george27's post above me Tony!

Ah, uh, yes, I didn't notice it before posting. George's UA string makes me think though: “K-Meleon 1.7.0 built on Gecko 1.9.2.14pre”… Gecko 1.9.2.14pre? IIUC that's the Gecko version used in Firefox 3.6.14pre — is there no version more recent than that?

Edit: According to the K-Meleon project page on SourceForge, K-Meleon 1.7a2 (released on 2010-12-26) seems to be the last release indeed.

But the body of the post mentioned Firefox 17… and there's just been a “merge”: the current Firefox-Nightly version is now 18a1, from which I suppose 17a2 Aurora, and soon (or already) 16 Beta and 15 Release… Hm, I guess I'll think more clearly after I have my morning tea…
Best regards,
Tony
rovingreporter

Post by rovingreporter »

Someone asked for a list of extensions to replace Mr. Tech; I had time so I went back through 9 pages to pick out the kernels of relevant info. (And it helped me too, so I'm not being entirely gratuitous. (-; )

Suggested By - Extension Name - Current? - Description - Link

makondo - Addon Manager List Generator - Yes - Generates a selectable/editable category view of all extensions, plugins, themes, scripts and userstyles for copying to clipboard or generating a time stamped text file to preclude the overwriting of files. Changes button icon on the fly and displays pertinent data information in the header.
    Note: Requires "Custom Buttons" installed.
    http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... t=218#p836

tonymec - Nightly Tester Tools - Yes - Brief List of features: Titlebar customization, Build ID retrieval, Copy list of extensions to clipboard, Screenshots, Open profile folder, Test crashing, Force addon compatibility, View pushlog of changes since last nightly.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ter-tools/

Chris000001 - User can bypass install XPI time delay themselves
    Instructions: about:config > security.dialog_enable_delay > set to 0
    Translation for newbies: type "about:config" in URL bar to bring up options; click on "I'll be careful" button and search for "security.dialog_enable_delay" in list. Right-click "value" and select "Modify"; set to 0. Click "OK" to finish or "Cancel" to exit without changing anything.

Chris000001 - User can do local installs themselves
    Instructions: local installs: about:addons > click the gear (near the top right) > install Add-on from file... (you can select multiple files.)
    Translation for newbies: type "about:addons" in URL bar: this brings up the same window as the "Addons" item in the Firefox Tools menu. There is a small icon on the top to the right side (looks sort of like a stylized Chrysanthemum to me); right click on that and there is a menu which includes install from local file. Incidentally, if you have your extensions organized in their own folders (as I do), you will *not* be able to install more than one at a time.

rasselas21 - Mr. Tech Toolkit 6.0.4.9000 (last version available) - No - The primary goal of this extension is to provide the tools needed to install and manage extensions and themes locally. To do this the extension provides multi-extension installation support, hacking capabilities to the Extension/Theme manager windows, features to find and troubleshoot Extensions/Themes Build, GUID and Profile information.
    http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/#toolkit
    Install directly: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/toolkit.xpi

molitar - Mr. Tech incompatible with Greasemonkey - N/A - Modified scripts do not work when Mr. Tech is enabled. Fix: disable Mr. Tech, restart Firefox, modify (or add) scripts, enable Mr. Tech, restart Firefox. New scripts will now work. (???) (I can't test this because I don't use Greasemonkey.)

RDL - Extension List Dumper - Yes - This extension adds a button ("Dump list") to the Add-ons window. When this button is pressed, a new window is opened with the list of installed extensions, themes or or plugins. The browser version and the Operating System are also dumped. This extension is useful to keep a list of your extensions and themes, or when reporting a bug or a conflict to an extension author.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... st-dumper/

RDL - Mr. Tech - Direct Download - Same version as listed previously; right click on link to save the file. Considered "Beta" -- still version 6.0.4.9000; useful note if you are unable to archive a copy of Mr. Tech: (Quoting RDL) "MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4.9000 is {9669CC8F-B388-42FE-86F4-CB5E7F5A8BDC}.xpi in the extensions."
    Find the file RDL mentions using Windows search function; copy to another location, rename it to something you prefer. You can open the XPI file with 7-Zip if you temporarily change it to a .zip file, using 7-Zip select "open archive", and edit the install.rdf file to change the max version to whatever you need, save, then rename the file extension back to .xpi; it can now be installed by Firefox (or anything else it's compatible with.)
    http://mrte.ch/toolkit

Stopping after going up through page 56, so any suggestions before that are not in this list. (Date at top of page = July 7th, 2011)

T.S.
-- Therese Shellabarger
rovingreporter

Post by rovingreporter »

Here's three Add-ons that I like, which may replace some functions of Mr. Tech and add others:

Configuration Mania
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/configuration-mania-4420/>
"More Advanced (hidden) configures.

Note: The change of preferences will persist even when this add-on is disabled/uninstalled."

A user noted that it can be annoying because it pops up when you are doing other things, but you can keep it disabled when you are done making changes.

FeatureFix
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/featurefix/>
"FeatureFix provides numerous abilities to customize the Firefox user interface, as well as enhancements and handy features for developers and power users. These features include:
Popup ALT attributes
View source button and customization
Working online/offline button
Easy disable/enable caching
Tab behaviour configuration"

Restart Firefox
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/restart-firefox-10749/>
"Adds "Restart" menu item to "File", and a toolbar button for easy restarting... Localized in all languages."

I'm just happy to have "Restart" added, you can call me lazy but I really miss it when I don't have that feature!
-- Therese Shellabarger
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

About restarting: the "Restartless Restart" extension adds a toolbar button and a "File → Restart" menuitem, and the "Add-on Update Checker" extension includes a toolbar button with a "Restart" menuitem in a dropdown, and also a "Tools → Add-on update checker → Restart" menuitem.
Best regards,
Tony
makondo

Post by makondo »

Restart is also a menuitem in the Exts Options menu by Chris.

What does this mean?
above wrote:makondo - Buttons for Custom Buttons - No - Use other people's buttons to add to Firefox; requires Custom Buttons
http://www.smileyfaze.tk/CustomButtons2%20Database.htm

The list of installable buttons is on a well known long time CB user site - those buttons were made for now dead CB². There's a zip file available but it would've taking me too much time to link and explain what to do. I chose to simply link to the list.
Some buttons in that list are no longer needed (features now included in Fx default), some need a bit of tweaking (since fx3.5!) but most work perfectly fine. I have 30 buttons from that list and they all still work for me. More buttons posted/updated/can be requested on the CB forum. Yes, CB ext. is needed.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

rovingreporter wrote:Someone asked for a list of extensions to replace Mr. Tech; I had time so I went back through 9 pages to pick out the kernels of relevant info. (And it helped me too, so I'm not being entirely gratuitous.
<snip>
T.S.

Why install half a dozen different extensions to do what one extension can do by itself? You did not list a chrome editor, which is a necessity for me.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Anonymosity,

take a lookit this ...
ChromEdit Plus & More

take care,
lee
rovingreporter

Post by rovingreporter »

Well, no one mentioned a Chrome Editor in any of the pages that I looked at. Glad to see someone else took up the slack though.

T.S.
-- Therese Shellabarger
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy rovingreporter,

MRTT replaced the original chromedit extension. [*grin*] lookee ...
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/

actually, that is a good place to start when hunting for a "replacement" for some part of MRTT look for what _it_ replaced.

take care,
lee
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Toolkit is still working for me in both Firefox and Thunderbird, so I will keep on using it. Getting it into Thunderbird was a bit tricky, but worth it.
squeaky

Post by squeaky »

Hi,

I have a clash which causes non-accessibility of the Add-ons Manager.

All my Add-ons (and my theme) work perfectly well - it's just that I can't get the Add-ons Manager to open. The only Add-on I currently have disabled now is MR tech and I have the Add-ons Manager back; so it looks very much as though this extension is the culprit.

The manager is set to open in a tab. If I already have one or more tabs loaded it fails to open.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin & Hobbes
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Anonymosity wrote:Toolkit is still working for me in both Firefox.......

Same for me mate. It may not function 100% and there may be no support for it but that aside, I'm happy with it. It's a shame Mel can't maintain it, but creating it in the first place is worthy of applause! =D> =D> =D>
Cheers,
Keith
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

squeaky wrote:Hi,

All my Add-ons (and my theme) work perfectly well - it's just that I can't get the Add-ons Manager to open. The only Add-on I currently have disabled now is MR tech and I have the Add-ons Manager back; so it looks very much as though this extension is the culprit.

The manager is set to open in a tab. If I already have one or more tabs loaded it fails to open.

Hi squeaky,

Did you check that it wasn't already open sitting in the Firefox tab?

What version are you using?
Cheers,
Keith
squeaky

Post by squeaky »

Yes I checked.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin & Hobbes
RDL

Post by RDL »

squeaky wrote:Hi,

There is a circumvention to this.

If I set MTTK to open in a tab, then I see the same problem.

However, when it is so set, then if I open a new, blank tab (or already have an open blank tab), keep that active and try to open Add-Ons with the MTTK 'Extensions' button, it opens in that tab and works absolutely fine.

However, I usually prefer to see Add-ons in the sidebar, so I use AiOS (and its button) to do that most of the time. When I install extensions Firefox opens the Add-ons tab anyway.