keyconfig 20110522

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
wcyee

Re: keyconfig disabled by Firefox 1.5.0.2 upgrade

Post by wcyee »

dorando wrote:It should work by now, but you likely need to click Tools > Extensions > Find Updates. Blame the devs for not releasing a Release Candidate.

Works great now. I was so lost without this great extension. Thanks very much!
stoneflash

Post by stoneflash »

dorando

Post by dorando »

Many thanks, will be included.
Support mozilla.dorando.at through donations/contributions.
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

Keyconfig is one of the most usefully extensions which I would not know what to do without! Thanks for the great work!!!

But it would make using keyconfig way more comfortable to have the enhancements of keconfig_enh in the main version as well! Especially the filters, searching and the possibility to see the code behind the existing (predefined) shortkeys.
Are these things going to be added to the main version?
dorando

Post by dorando »

TobyK wrote:Especially the filters, searching
I don't think that there ever would be enough shortcuts to justify such a functionality.

TobyK wrote:the possibility to see the code behind the existing (predefined) shortkeys.
Something like this might be included but as implemented in the modified version this is mostly useless as it often only displays the content of the command attibute (which is only a reference to the <command> element holding the actual code).
gialloporpora

Post by gialloporpora »

Hi,
I want configure as a shortcut this command:
Bookmarks -> Bookmarks Manager -> File -> New Bookmarks
With DOM I have find that this is the command:
goDoCommand('cmd_bm_newbookmark');
I have configured Keyconfig like in this picture:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8961 ... rks2gh.gif
but it doesn't run.
I use Firefox 1.5.0.3 and Windows XP.
Thanks in advanced for your attention.
dorando

Post by dorando »

If you want this shortcut in the Bookmarks Manager you would need to select the window via right-click (official version) or use the keyconfig shortcut from the Bookmarks Manager (in the modified version, or old releases) and set it there.

If you want to use it from the main window, try:

Code: Select all

BookmarksCommand.createNewBookmark({parent: document.getElementById("bookmarks-menu").resource, index: -1});
gialloporpora

Post by gialloporpora »

You are great @dorando :-D
Thank you very much for your help !!
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

dorando wrote:I don't think that there ever would be enough shortcuts to justify such a functionality.
I think there are, but in the end I don't change the keys that often, so I can live without that functionality.
dorando wrote:Something like this might be included but as implemented in the modified version this is mostly useless as it often only displays the content of the command attibute (which is only a reference to the <command> element holding the actual code).
Great!
dorando wrote:

Code: Select all

BookmarksCommand.createNewBookmark({parent: document.getElementById("bookmarks-menu").resource, index: -1});
Is there a way I can find out about commands like this - without asking here? If yes: how?
dorando

Post by dorando »

TobyK wrote:Is there a way I can find out about commands like this - without asking here? If yes: how?
DOM Inspector and the <a href="http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/">source</a>.
CadmiumGrundy

Post by CadmiumGrundy »

I'm having what seems to be a fundamental problem with keyboard shortcuts: the default actions that came with FF that are assigned to certain keys (like "Go to top of page" = Home) aren't working correctly for me in FF 1.5.0.3 ... and I had the same problem in 1.5.02.

Similar problems with Page Down and Page Up. To get to top/end of page I have to use Ctrl-Home/Ctrl-End.

My (possibly inept) search of this thread didn't turn up any hits discussing this particular problem, so if you all have already had this discussion, my apologies.

In case it's relevant, I've got a MS keyboard with all the browsing buttons on the left, media buttons on the right, My Computer, Calc and Sleep on far right.
Also, when using IE, Home and End and other keys work "as advertised" in the keyboard shortcut inventory. It's just in FF that I get this problem.

Thanks
Comparisons are invidious, but that doesn't make them wrong.
CadmiumGrundy

Post by CadmiumGrundy »

Nevermind my last post: Learned that Caret Browsing was on and that it has this effect (noted in the Accessibility article), but there's no warning of same either at the Tools>Options>Advanced, General Tab or in the related Help entry.

Thanks go to dickyvl.
Comparisons are invidious, but that doesn't make them wrong.
Jim001

Want to DISABLE Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by Jim001 »

Is there any way to disable keyboard shortcuts? For example, if I'm on any webpage and type an apostrophe (') on the page, instead of treating the apostrophe as text, Firefox opens a search bar at the bottom of the screen. This is incredibly annoying. IE doesn't do this.

I don't really want to install an extension. Anyway, Dorando's extension doesn't work for the latest version, and I installed Onemen's extension and it didn't do anything.

Pardon my ranting, but any software should have a feature to allow the user to modify keyboard shortcuts, when they give you defaults.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Jim001 wrote:Is there any way to disable keyboard shortcuts?
Yes, by clicking the 'Disable' button.

Jim001 wrote:For example [...] apostrophe (') [...]
This shortcut is not defined by a <key> but by an event handler. Those shortcuts cannot be modified with keyconfig.

Jim001 wrote:Anyway, Dorando's extension doesn't work for the latest version, [...]
Uhm, <a href="http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi">keyconfig</a> does work with the latest version...
Jim001

Keyconfig Extension

Post by Jim001 »

Dorando,

I was able to get the extension at the bottom of your page working - the one that says is from Onemen. When I try to install your extension, I get a box that says that it is only compatible with version up to 1.5. I'm running 1.5.0.3.

Anyway, I got Onemen's version running. But as you indicated, my problem is something different. I'm trying to disable the find-as-you-type feature, but currently there is no way to do this. There are a ton of bugs reported on this in bugzilla. But Mozilla seems to indicate that it's supposed to work this way. So for me and countless others, we are unable to type an apostrophe or a forward slash without invoking the "find" dialogue box. They might as well disable the letter "a" as well.

I sure hope they fix this or it's back to IE.

Thanks,

Jim