keyconfig 20110522

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
RDL

Re: keyconfig 20110522

Post by RDL »

nigelle wrote:Is keyconfig-signed self updating or do I need to uninstall/reinstall it periodically ?
I removed the update link so if it needs, that must be done manually.

Until it ceases to work, I shall continue to apply for signing with higher versions of Firefox (and Thunderbird).

I always install updates of extensions from file anyway and uninstall previous versions before doing so.

However, I don't believe the uninstallation is strictly necessary once you have installed it for the first time. That first time you are installing an extension with a different internal ID from the pure dorando original so, without uninstalling first, you would at present end up with two different extensions installed, with the same function. That would at least be very untidy but could well also lead to conflicts and consequent malfunction.

Hopefully, by the time it does cease to work, some other facility will be available. There is already discussion, within Mozilla, about a native facility.

Also, I believe that the next version of 'Menu Wizard' (on AMO) will provide many of the Keyconfig functions.

Of course, if someone produces a 'modernized' version of Keyconfig and that is publicly listed on AMO, we will have no more need of this 'private' version :D
nigelle

Post by nigelle »

To RDL
"There is already discussion, within Mozilla, about a native facility." Is there a bug report that we can vote for ? A discussion to comment ? Or an other way to support this idea ?

"Until it ceases to work, I shall continue to apply for signing with higher versions of Firefox (and Thunderbird)." That means that we have to update after 2 or 3 releases of Firefox.
Please tell us when you update the version range. When it ceases to work, I'll ceases to update Firefox.
RDL

Post by RDL »

Subject: [EXT] Menu Wizard
nigelle wrote:So apparently I cannot create a brand new short-cut if I know the code to create a new function. Is this planned for future release ?
I saw your post in the 'Menu Wizard' topic.

(a) Use Menu Wizard to create a new menu item to perform the action you want. You choose the name (caption), location (in which menu and where), code to be executed and, optionally, a keyboard shortcut and/or menu access key for it.

The new menu item can be used as expected.

Currently, new shortcuts do not always work for everyone, but this problem has been fixed in a test version. It worked for me and the next version should include that fix.

A link to that test version is posted in the 'Menu Wizard' forum topic but please note, that version is not signed.

If you only want to use the keyboard shortcut then you need not ever use the menu item you created but only its shortcut.

I have not investigated the effect of hiding such new menu items, which can be done and might, improbably, still allow your new shortcut to work.

(b) I have discovered that one can add code and shortcut keys to the top-level menu items (eg 'File', 'Edit', 'View' etc) without any apparent effect whatever on their normal function (those additions are even invisible in normal use of the menu system) but thus providing a (working) vehicle for introducing new shortcuts with associated codes without adding new menu items.

I cannot promise that that trick will never have any odd side effect.
nigelle wrote:To RDL
"There is already discussion, within Mozilla, about a native facility." Is there a bug report that we can vote for ? A discussion to comment ? Or an other way to support this idea ?
I'm sorry but the most recent discussion I can find is a wiki article from 2010. I know I originally saw a more recent one within the context of all these extension breaking FF "improvements" but I cannot locate it now. Perhaps someone else can point us to the more recent one. I don't know of a related bug on bugzilla although there are some very old ones which seem to have been ignored so far. One problem is that every similar, newer bug has been closed as a duplicate of the oldest.
nigelle wrote:"Until it ceases to work, I shall continue to apply for signing with higher versions of Firefox (and Thunderbird)." That means that we have to update after 2 or 3 releases of Firefox.
Please tell us when you update the version range. When it ceases to work, I'll ceases to update Firefox.
It has previously been suggested, in this forum, that Firefox no longer does version checking. I cannot say that is untrue but you could test it perhaps.

Yes, I believe you will have to update manually each time the version range is extended. Not really a major task and I find I often have to replace 'dead' extensions more often than that.

Of course I will tell you when I update the version range, just as I have done before.

If I were you, I would not be so pessimistic. 'Menu Wizard' is excellent and, although not primarily aimed at shortcuts, can provide a lot of what Keyconfig does now. For this purpose it only handles shortcuts associated with menu items but for any of those it can change or disable. The shortcut handling interface is not so friendly but the author has added a 'Sort' facility to her/his 'to do' list.
RDL

Post by RDL »

trlkly Has Officially Listed a Version of Keyconfig on AMO.
==================================================

Of course, it's signed.

It's renamed "Dorando keyconfig" See:

https: // addons.mozilla. org/en-GB/firefox/addon/dorando-keyconfig/

It does still have the original "Type error" messages but I've posted a review which includes a request asking her/him to fix that using Morat's code.

Once that's done I personally intend to switch to that version.

I am hoping that we will be able to use userChrome.css to apply Morat's informational colouring to its display.
RDL

Post by RDL »

RDL wrote:trlkly Has Officially Listed a Version of Keyconfig on AMO.
==================================================

Of course, it's signed.

It's renamed "Dorando keyconfig" See:

https: // addons.mozilla. org/en-GB/firefox/addon/dorando-keyconfig/

It does still have the original "Type error" messages but I've posted a review which includes a request asking her/him to fix that using Morat's code.

Once that's done I personally intend to switch to that version.

I am hoping that we will be able to use userChrome.css to apply Morat's informational colouring to its display.
Well, so much for that. Please see my revised review of 'Dorando Keyconfig' on AMO.

Sorry for raising false hopes. I shall continue at least to keep Keyconfig_RDL version-compatible while the code works and making it available by the current mechanism.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

RDL wrote:[snip]

I shall continue at least to keep Keyconfig_RDL version-compatible while the code works and making it available by the current mechanism.
I'm glad to hear this because whatever changes were made to what is now up on AMO does not recognize/run my 2 additions, it also does not properly save them after restart. Yours thankfully does. =D>
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
RDL

Post by RDL »

WildcatRay wrote:I'm glad to hear this because whatever changes were made to what is now up on AMO does not recognize/run my 2 additions, it also does not properly save them after restart. Yours thankfully does. =D>
Well, it really should, because the bulk of it, especially the code that does the real work, is all Dorando, untouched. The only code changes are Morat's fixes.
However, nice to hear from you and that makes me feel a tiny bit better after my initial review of 'Dorando Keyconfig' :)
avada

Post by avada »

bege wrote:I got this previously in this forum. You need one key binding for each dictionary. Set the respective language in the first line (e.g. "en-US")

Code: Select all

var dictionary = "de-DE";

var Cc = Components.classes; var Ci = Components.interfaces;

Cc['@mozilla.org/spellchecker/engine;1'].getService(Ci.mozISpellCheckingEngine).dictionary = dictionary;

var nsIContentPrefService2 = Cc["@mozilla.org/content-pref/service;1"].getService(Ci.nsIContentPrefService2);
    var target = document.commandDispatcher.focusedWindow;
    if(target == window) target = content;
    var loadContext = target.QueryInterface(Ci.nsIInterfaceRequestor).getInterface(Ci.nsIWebNavigation).QueryInterface(Ci.nsILoadContext);
    nsIContentPrefService2.set(target.location, "spellcheck.lang", dictionary, loadContext);

Services.prefs.setCharPref("spellchecker.dictionary", dictionary); 
This doesn't seem to work for me. I changed the relevant part to "hu" and "en-US", but nothing happens. The spellcheck dictionary is not changed.

PS: Menu Editor is no help either, even though there are context menu entries for the spellcheck languages. I'm assuming it's a dynamically created menu item, which is unsupported.
bege

Post by bege »

avada wrote:
bege wrote:I got this previously in this forum. You need one key binding for each dictionary. Set the respective language in the first line (e.g. "en-US")

var dictionary = "de-DE";

var Cc = Components.classes; var Ci = Components.interfaces;

Cc['@mozilla.org/spellchecker/engine;1'].getService(Ci.mozISpellCheckingEngine).dictionary = dictionary;

var nsIContentPrefService2 = Cc["@mozilla.org/content-pref/service;1"].getService(Ci.nsIContentPrefService2);
    if(target == window) target = content;
    var loadContext = target.QueryInterface(Ci.nsIInterfaceRequestor).getInterface(Ci.nsIWebNavigation).QueryInterface(Ci.nsILoadContext);
    nsIContentPrefService2.set(target.location, "spellcheck.lang", dictionary, loadContext);

This doesn't seem to work for me. I changed the relevant part to "hu" and "en-US", but nothing happens. The spellcheck dictionary is not changed.

PS: Menu Editor is no help either, even though there are context menu entries for the spellcheck languages. I'm assuming it's a dynamically created menu item, which is unsupported.
Here it still works. Because the code is not from me I hope someone else can help with it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I would like to remind folks of this:Posting a 2nd party downloadable "fix" is not allowed.

I just made a bunch of links unclickable. Only the dev of the extension is allowed to post a working direct link to an xpi.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
bege

Post by bege »

LoudNoise wrote:I would like to remind folks of this:Posting a 2nd party downloadable "fix" is not allowed.

I just made a bunch of links unclickable. Only the dev of the extension is allowed to post a working direct link to an xpi.
Very "helpful", since the developer isn't active any more. ](*,)
Is there a chance to get the version of RDL on AMO?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It's the rule. The link is still there, you just have to take the extra step of cutting and pasting it.

Has the Dev announced that he/she is not working on it any more? If so, where?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
morat

Post by morat »

avada wrote:This doesn't seem to work for me.
bege wrote:Here it still works.
Here it still works as well. I tested the dictionaries with the textbox on the following page.

Element textarea
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... t/textarea

Here is how to toggle between two dictionaries.

var Cc = Components.classes;
var Ci = Components.interfaces;
var dictionaryList = [];
var spellChecker = Cc["@mozilla.org/spellchecker/engine;1"].
  getService(Ci.mozISpellCheckingEngine);
spellChecker.getDictionaryList(dictionaryList, {});
dictionaryList = dictionaryList.value.toString().split(",");
for (var i = 0; i < dictionaryList.length; i++) {
  var dictionary = dictionaryList[i];
  if (dictionary != Services.prefs.getCharPref("spellchecker.dictionary")) {
    spellChecker.dictionary = dictionary;
    var contentPref = Cc["@mozilla.org/content-pref/service;1"].
      getService(Ci.nsIContentPrefService2);
    if (target == window) {
      target = content;
    }
    var loadContext = target.QueryInterface(Ci.nsIInterfaceRequestor).
      getInterface(Ci.nsIWebNavigation).QueryInterface(Ci.nsILoadContext);
    contentPref.set(target.location, "spellcheck.lang", dictionary, loadContext);
    break;
  }
}
Preference spellchecker.dictionary
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Spellchecker.dictionary

Here is how to toggle between two dictionaries with the Dictionary Switcher extension.

dictionarySwitcher.toggle();
Dictionary Switcher
http://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3414
Last edited by morat on January 18th, 2016, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
avada

Post by avada »

Thanks for the tip morat. I'll have a look.
avada

Post by avada »

morat wrote:Here is how to toggle between two dictionaries.

var Cc = Components.classes;
var Ci = Components.interfaces;
var dictionaryList = [];
var spellChecker = Cc["@mozilla.org/spellchecker/engine;1"].
getService(Ci.mozISpellCheckingEngine);
spellChecker.getDictionaryList(dictionaryList, {});
dictionaryList = dictionaryList.value.toString().split(",");
for (var i = 0; i < dictionaryList.length; i++) {
var dictionary = dictionaryList;
if (dictionary != Services.prefs.getCharPref("spellchecker.dictionary")) {
spellChecker.dictionary = dictionary;
var nsIContentPrefService2 = Cc["@mozilla.org/content-pref/service;1"].
getService(Ci.nsIContentPrefService2);
if (target == window) {
target = content;
}
var loadContext = target.QueryInterface(Ci.nsIInterfaceRequestor).
getInterface(Ci.nsIWebNavigation).QueryInterface(Ci.nsILoadContext);
break;
}
}

This doesn't work either. (Don't I need to specify the languages somewhere in this?)

morat wrote:Here is how to toggle between two dictionaries with the Dictionary Switcher extension.

dictionarySwitcher.toggle();

Unfortunately this only partially works. It fails to to switch in textboxes such as youtube's and disqus'. If memory serves the addon started failing with these kind of dynamic textboxes (or whatever) first. And since the majority of my commenting is done in textboxes like these it's a pertty significant issue.
(I've actually used this addon for a long time, but it progressed to completely dysfunctional at switching the dictionary automatically. I wish the dev would update/fix it...)