[Ext] Image Toolbar 0.6.5

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

soccer_dude182 wrote:However, the alternate command works for Copy Image and Choose Download Folder. It's just the save button that doesn't seem to work. Also, I can't get the middle button to do any of the alternate commands.

That's really odd. Middle button actions should work fine, as I've tested it. Alternate actions should also work fine as well.

soccer_dude182 wrote:Could it be that I installed version 0.2 over 0.1? Do I need to uninstall the first version first?

It shouldn't make any difference, but could be worth a try. Be sure to reset the preferences too.

Roan Foofitush wrote:As it stands, middle-mouse seems to work for me but I'm not using anything else that uses my middle-mouse button.

Same here. Weird.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Here's an interesting thought...

Tools > Options > Advanced > Use autoscrolling - checked or not?

I tried checking it and my middle-clicks stopped functioning and I got the standard autoscroll scroll-icon instead ('course), disabling it seems to bring middle-clicks back.

I barely ever have autoscroll enabled, so could this be why... ?
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Yeah, that is what I mentioned in my previous post. I started with a clean profile now and it's working fine now, except for the middle clicking, which I have to have AutoScrolling unchecked. (Is that how it's supposed to be for middle-click to work?) Anyway, it's fine, though, since I can ctrl+click to get the alternate function. Thanks!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

The toolbar is actually appended to the contents of the page you're viewing (believe me, it's easier, and closer to the behaviour of IE's toolbar), so middle clicking with auto scrolling enabled simply tries to scroll as if it were page content. As Firefox doesn't do this for hyperlinks and so on, there must be a way around this. If and when I find it, I'll include it.
gytt

Post by gytt »

This is a great toolbar that I was looking for all the time. But there are two problems mentioned above, one is that Ctrl+Click couldn't activate the save prompt function when autosave is selected, but when save prompt is selected, the Ctrl+Click switch function just ok, another is then couldn't save vBulletin attachment images when autosave is selected. I had installed this extension in several ways, but the results is same.
Shatylle

Post by Shatylle »

Thanks Soooooooo much I have been wishing for a Image Bar for the longest time as its the only feature I miss from IE and I have often gone back to IE just to use the image bar. But yours has gone way beyond what IE's can do already,

Great Work
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030711 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
Kamek

Post by Kamek »

A couple suggestions...
- When the image is just partially on screen, only consider the visible area, like IE does (this is especially useful when the page is scrolled down and you can't see the top of the picture, the toolbar will still appear in a visible place)
- A button to open the properties dialog

I'd love to help, but my knowledge on Firefox UI and XPCOM is close to zero. Maybe I can still help by trying to create the easiest feature, and then gaining experience.
mikellmoz

Slowdown on some sites

Post by mikellmoz »

My Firefox, with Image Toolbar (v.2) uses huge amounts of processor time when I am browsing on the "my Ebay" page, and others, while moving the mouse. I suppose it may have to do with the amount of graphic images imbedded into an ebay page. Or, perhaps not! I distinctly observed this type of cycle sucking activity on ebay, but it also seems to occur in differing amounts on other sites.
Couldn't you build in a delay to hold back the toolbar processing, until mouse movement ceases?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Kamek wrote:When the image is just partially on screen, only consider the visible area, like IE does (this is especially useful when the page is scrolled down and you can't see the top of the picture, the toolbar will still appear in a visible place)

Good idea, I'll do this by default.

Kamek wrote:A button to open the properties dialog

Not so sure about this one though. I'd rather keep it within the normal settings area, but if you can make a case for this I'll certainly consider it.

mikellmoz wrote:Couldn't you build in a delay to hold back the toolbar processing, until mouse movement ceases?

I can reproduce your problem. Hmm. I'll try and figure something out.

Adding all this stuff to the front page, the 0.3 dev cycle for this extension begins soon.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Alright guys, the drive to 0.3 has begun with my squashing of bug#6, here's the current to do list:

- Bug 7 - High CPU usage on sites with lots of images (testcase: eBay)
- Bug 8 - Does not "Autosave" vBulletin attachment images with correct filename (workaround - use regular "Save" dialog).
- Option for toolbar to appear relative to the cursor.
- Should always appear on screen if the image is scrolled to the side or top.
- Ability to exclude image types.

I'm going to work on the last three tonight. I could really use help with bug#8, I think I can manage bug#7 and will investigate that when I'm more awake. If anyone has any suggestions or code fixes for bug#8, I'll be glad of your help. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to work on making tooltips work and can paste their solution here, I'll include that for 0.3 as well... otherwise it'll stay under future enhancements.

Bug#8 info:
I don't have a working (or current) test case, but vBulletin attachments are in the following form:
<url>/attachment.php?s=9acf566d830a7c297fcc37792d7a8b4d&postid=22529
When autosaving, the toolbar simply tries to save that and fails with an unknown error.
When regular "save prompt" saving, it apparently resolves the attachment to it's correct filename and saves. Any idea how I can get that filename?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Bug#8 is fixed, credit where it's due to MonkeeSage for his awesome work on this. I didn't do anything directly to "fix" bug#7, but I can no longer reproduce it (at eBay or any other site). CPU usage when mousing around the page seems to be the same whether Image Toolbar is enabled or not.

I'm going to bump the ability to use the toolbar on a per-image-type basis to "future" again. My main priorities have been addressed and the single remaining feature (appearing relative to mouse position) should be easier to implement. I can then begin repackaging my extensions tomorrow and take a well-earnt break (for "break" read "head off to Download Festival").
qda

Post by qda »

amazing extension thanks :D

i tried reproducing the ebay bug.. when i go to an auction (a car one has lots of pics usually for example) and i move the mouse around the thumbnails my cpu usage goes to like 90.. but when the mouse is still, its 0%.. dunno if its even relevant
try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0231&rd=1.. scroll down and hover the mouse around those thumbnails...
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Thanks for the better testcase... I could reproduce the problem and have now resolved it. To fix the bug where the toolbar didn't always appear, I set up a mouseover event listener which simply checked to see if the document that your mouse was over was "image toolbar enabled"... if it wasn't, then it would go ahead and enable it. Unfortuately it seems that I forgot to break out if it was... an easy one line fix... my bad!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

0.3 should be out tomorrow and will be compatible with both the latest nightly builds and 0.8.
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Cool, that's great. Did you mean it'll be compatible with .9? If not, I didn't see it listed there... will it be compatible with .9?