[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I already updated it so that it is, so it should be fine. Were you connected to the Internet when you tried to install it?

If you're having problems, grab the latest version from my website: http://www.cusser.net/extensions/contextsearch/ - Mozilla Add-ons won't let me replace the install file without forcing everyone to download the update.
rtk

Post by rtk »

Cusser wrote:...Mozilla Add-ons won't let me replace the install file without forcing everyone to download the update.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled, still comes up as incompatible, while connected. Since AMO is the premier location for extensions, I think you might have to "inconvenience" a few people with an unnecessary update rather than leaving it incompatible.
rtk
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Well, it appears that you're right, but I've already set the compatibility level appropriately. Time to file yet another bug against Mozilla Add-ons. I'm about one stupid AMO bug away from pulling my extensions off and never using it again.
simalam

Post by simalam »

Cusser wrote:I already updated it so that it is, so it should be fine. Were you connected to the Internet when you tried to install it?

If you're having problems, grab the latest version from my website: http://www.cusser.net/extensions/contextsearch/ - Mozilla Add-ons won't let me replace the install file without forcing everyone to download the update.

That worked thanks Cusser.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Okay, so it turns out that the problem was that AMO was failing to serve the correct data to Firefox when Firefox requested it. It failed because my minVersion was too inclusive (it catered for alphas and betas, not just 2.0) - ugh!

I'll go through all my extensions and set the versions to something that won't completely arbitrarily break, despite the fact that AMO gives no warning of this problem.
xichael

Post by xichael »

Is there any way to get Context Search to work from text/input fields? So far, I've been using <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/68/">DictionarySearch</a> to achieve this (and I'm lost without it), but I'd rather have the whole search plugin set available. Since Context Search is, I assume, just taking the place of the default firefox "Search Web for...", which doesn't work in text fields either, would there be some way (from the firefox side) to make the default web search active from within text fields, thereby activating Context Search as well? I assume that this will be a standard feature in future releases, but why wait?...
Last edited by xichael on October 8th, 2006, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

"Search Web for..." used to work in text fields, and I think Context Search may have as well. I'll check out how Dictionary Search does it and put it in the next release.
xichael

Post by xichael »

Thanks, I can't wait!... In the meantime, I've posed <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=472308">this question</a> to the firefox support forum.
stephano

Post by stephano »

I've just installed context search because conquery doesn't work in Firefox 2.0 but I have a request. I don't like the way your extension removes the "Search Google (or whatever Firefox's default search engine is) for ..." in the immediate context menu. Can you add an option so this remains alongside an option to search using the drop down list of installed search engines?
Lost User 24926

Post by Lost User 24926 »

0.4 seems to crash the nightly builds past 2006-11-11. :(
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I suggest you file a bug with crash data from Talkback. Although there's probably something I can do to help (which I may consider if it's a reproducable problem - although I don't support any Minefield builds), Firefox shouldn't arbitrarily crash, regardless of what extensions are doing. If you do, please cc me on the bug (cusser.bugs@cusser.net). Thanks.
Lost User 24926

Post by Lost User 24926 »

Actually, I think I was mistaken. It looks like a general trunk issue. Sorry for the alarm.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

No problem!

Forgot to post this update here, now that my website is automagical.

Latest install: <a href="http://www.cusser.net/extensions/contextsearch/contextsearch.xpi">here</a>.

0.4.1 Updates:
- Fixed middle-click support regression

0.4 Updates:
- Better support for Firefox 2.0 tabbed browsing behaviour
- Search using text selections in textarea / text input elements
- Support for search plugins that use POST
Last edited by BenBasson on November 19th, 2006, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Hey Cusser, hope you're well! Just tried that link twice and got 404 error.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

My bad. Link has now been fixed.