[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

bozz wrote:If you can add options to open tabs in either foreground/background would also be great. Firefox opens Web Search tabs in the background.

To get this foreground background thing you could use two of the mouse buttons. Let the user decide of course, but have left for background and right for forground, for example.

- rmjb
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

rmjb wrote:
bozz wrote:If you can add options to open tabs in either foreground/background would also be great. Firefox opens Web Search tabs in the background.

To get this foreground background thing you could use two of the mouse buttons. Let the user decide of course, but have left for background and right for forground, for example.

- rmjb

Naw man. Middle click to open tab in foreground, left click to open in background. Right click to foreground might present conflicts with the already implemented function/options with Firefox such as "Open Links in background". Not for sure, only speculation. Could be just the opposite too. Just food for thought. Maybe add a prefs option to the extension that could be selected from Options> Extensions> Context Search> Options maybe.

This is a really great idea whatever you choose to incorporate. Thanks Cusser! :)
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

My example was just an example, I'd be happy once it's customisable.

- rmjb
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Sorry to leave this so long, but I'm not going to add UI for this, maybe a pref though, although possibly not.
I'm currently thinking that it should work as follows:

Click = Background tab
Middle Click and Ctrl + Click = Foreground Tab

I don't think we really need to add prefs to make this simple extension needlessly complex... I think holding a key or using the middle button should be sufficient. If you disagree, please let me know and say why... if you've got good enough reasons then I'll reconsider my course of action. Anyway, I wanted to get feedback before doing this.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Cusser wrote:Sorry to leave this so long, but I'm not going to add UI for this, maybe a pref though, although possibly not.
I'm currently thinking that it should work as follows:

Click = Background tab
Middle Click and Ctrl + Click = Foreground Tab

if this is the way u'r gonna go i suggest
Click = Backround Tab
Shift + Click = Foreground Tab <--- like FF default for links
but truthfully not a huge deal either way....
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Sounds good to me. I might do this tonight.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

on second thought ???
maybe adding a 3rd option
Alt + Click = New Window
Lost User 24926

Post by Lost User 24926 »

Any plans to make this available for 0.9?
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Alt+Click doesn't work (at least on Windows) because it is the hotkey for stepping through the menus. Hitting alt will immediately close any open context menu. The standard for links in Firefox is:

click = current tab
ctrl + click or middle click = new tab based on setting of "Open Tabs in Background" pref (IE "browser.tabs.loadInBackground")
ctrl+shift click = alternate function of ctrl+click (IE, if ctrl + click is forground, this is background, if ctrl + click is background, this is forground).
shift + click = new window

All of those keys should work within context menus, so if you want to make it completely consistent with the way links work you should be able to. MozFBRH follows that standard for opening new tabs/windows so if you want me to post some code I'd be more than happy to ^_^
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Well, this is way later than I anticipated, but I've now finished 0.2 and it's ready for download.

Install: here.

Updates:
- Compatible with 0.9
- Holding CTRL will cause the tab to load in the Foreground
- Holding Shift will open a new window
jason2584

Post by jason2584 »

Good stuff, Cusser. I was glad to see this extension as I've been thinking about writing a similar one that will give an expandable menu for performing QuickSearches on highlighted text from the context menu. The only thing holding me back is my severely limited knowledge of the guts of the Mozilla chrome. Are there any useful resources that you've used besides www.xulplanet.com and others' extensions?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Besides XULPlanet, the Gecko DOM Reference is also an incredibly useful reference.
jason2584

Post by jason2584 »

Cusser, would you have the time/interest/motivation to complete my QuickSearch extension? I don't have the time/energy to figure the rest of it out, and frankly I'd rather have the functionality than the credit for it. It's probably about 75% done as it is. The javascript stuff isn't done, but just about all of the xul is. Let me know if you're interested and I'll figure out a way to point you to the source.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
guzzi333

Post by guzzi333 »

Cusser,

Great extension!!!! Can you get it listed at update.mozilla.org so more people can enjoy your work
See the following url on what to do to get your extension listed
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

jason2584,

Maybe http://dictionarysearch.mozdev.org does the trick for you. I use that one for the searches I use very often and context search for ones I do not use so often
Author of Firefox Extensions:ReloadEvery and DictionarySearch
For cheap English books try my price comparison site CheapRiver.com
guzzi333

Post by guzzi333 »

Cusser,

In my opinion your extension should be part of Firefox itself. I filed a bug (enhancement) in bugzilla.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=248173
If you feel like it you can maybe change your code such that it can be easily patched against the firefox code
Author of Firefox Extensions:ReloadEvery and DictionarySearch
For cheap English books try my price comparison site CheapRiver.com