[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

disturbedite wrote:now, if only you could "update/upgrade" image toolbar to work with 3.0....i really miss that extension.

It's coming, stay tuned: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=435
Cococokie

Post by Cococokie »

Cusser wrote:Also, this works with 3.0, I just need to update the installer. Coming soon.

THANK YOU cusser!! Is it guaranteed coming soon? Finally i no longer need to manually type appended text to searches. I think making an option to enable or disable it, is a recommended since everyone wants it to be simple including me.
echoes

Post by echoes »

Cusser wrote:
disturbedite wrote:now, if only you could "update/upgrade" image toolbar to work with 3.0....i really miss that extension.

It's coming, stay tuned: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=435

thanks for that update/headsup. i will follow the (hopeful) progress.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Cococokie wrote:THANK YOU cusser!! Is it guaranteed coming soon? Finally i no longer need to manually type appended text to searches. I think making an option to enable or disable it, is a recommended since everyone wants it to be simple including me.

I'm not adding anything to this release of Context Search, the updated installer contains new compatibility information only. I'll consider your request, but it would add a lot to an otherwise simple extension, so I'm hesitant - don't thank me yet. I don't see how it can be done without adding text to the GUI and that isn't going to happen.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

Is it possible to make this so that the currently selected search engine in Firefox is searched when you click on the menu entry itself, instead of having to go down through the menu to select it each time? This would be very helpful when I am doing multiple searches.
simalam

Post by simalam »

mmortal03 wrote:Is it possible to make this so that the currently selected search engine in Firefox is searched when you click on the menu entry itself, instead of having to go down through the menu to select it each time? This would be very helpful when I am doing multiple searches.

Yeah that would be a really great time saver, especially if you have a long search engine list.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

simalam wrote:
mmortal03 wrote:Is it possible to make this so that the currently selected search engine in Firefox is searched when you click on the menu entry itself, instead of having to go down through the menu to select it each time? This would be very helpful when I am doing multiple searches.
Yeah that would be a really great time saver, especially if you have a long search engine list.
My port of Context Search to SeaMonkey http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#contextsearch does that. Only a handful of lines needed to be added/changed. Warning: This modified version will not work in Firefox.

Phil
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Hello,

Just set extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem to false in about:config. Hope it works for you.

ithinc
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:

Hello,

Just set extensions.contextsearch.hideStandardContextItem to false in about:config. Hope it works for you.

ithinc

I had to restart for it to apply, and after that, the Context Search plugin menu item disappeared and only the standard one is there.

In theory, your idea is a good workaround, though, but I just can't get it to work. It would obviously be nice to have it consolidated ultimately to just one menu item, such that you know when one to go to all the time, and you don't have to think "Do I go to the standard item, or the Context Search item?"
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Oh, this is an option of the official Context Search extension. It works well for me. With the preference set to false, both the standard Search item and the Context Search item appear. It need not a restart. Maybe some other extensions conflict with it in your firefox.

ithinc
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:Oh, this is an option of the official Context Search extension. It works well for me. With the preference set to false, both the standard Search item and the Context Search item appear. It need not a restart. Maybe some other extensions conflict with it in your firefox.

ithinc

That's odd. I am having some other issues with other Add-ons on my end as well, as well as adding new search engines at mycroft.mozdev.org not working, even with all add-ons disabled, so something is off on my end. Who knows if these things are related, or not.

<del>Edit: The disappearing problem was, in fact, something in my prefs.</del>

Edit 2: Actually, it wasn't something wrong in my preferences. This must be a Minefield problem. First it goes blank, but still shows the menu, but then after a while, the entire menu disappears.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:Oh, this is an option of the official Context Search extension. It works well for me. With the preference set to false, both the standard Search item and the Context Search item appear. It need not a restart. Maybe some other extensions conflict with it in your firefox.

ithinc

Is it supposed to look like this?: http://umsis.miami.edu/~medmunds/context_search_bug.jpg

Notice how it is blank? After a while, it completely disappears.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4pre) Gecko/2008030305 Minefield/3.0b4pre
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

But have you tried to disable all other extensions?
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

ithinc wrote:But have you tried to disable all other extensions?

yep
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

Probably you have two conflicting extensions, which both manipulate the context menu. You'd better make a new profile to location the problem.
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.