[Ext] Hide Menubar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
yuoo2k

Re: [Ext] Hide Menubar

Post by yuoo2k »

tanstaafl_bh wrote:I'm currently using b7, but I never could get it to work in b6 either (first one I tried)...
The menu bar simply will never show itself when I mouse-over the Titlebar, whether I have float mode or not...

I can't reproduce it. Please create a new profile to test, thanks.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Ok... it was a conflict with the Compact Menu 2 extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4550/

When it is enabled, Hidemenu Bar doesn't work...
gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

Thanks for the great extension.

I suspect the reason you've left the hidden floating options hidden is because they're hard to document in English? I'd be happy to help if you want to make them part of the regular options.

I'd also be happy to help write up anything else you have trouble explaining clearly. Since I can write, but I'm not a programmer, this is how I hope I can contribute to extension development.

PM me.
gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

I'd love to see the same options for the navigation bar. Could be a separate extension too, but I would want the option to hide/show both of them at the same time. As an alternative, you could expand the extension to hide multiple toolbars. I don't know if you'd have trouble with the navigation bar though, since it has different rules in full screen.

Basically I wouldn't need this extension if the Menubar would auto hide in Full Screen mode rather than the navigation bar. I have everything I need on the menu bar and it's condensed with Tiny Menu. I believe I had trouble moving the menus to the navigation bar when I tried (a long time ago.) I also like your floating option instead of F11 because it doesn't move the text I'm trying to read.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

mmmelaney wrote:Basically I wouldn't need this extension if the Menubar would auto hide in Full Screen mode rather than the navigation bar.

I just tested it (never really use full screen mode) and it works for me, although you do have to be careful not to move the mouse all the way to the top of the monitor. The menubar drops down when I move my mouse just below the top of the screen...

I have everything I need on the menu bar and it's condensed with Tiny Menu.

Me too...

I also like your floating option instead of F11 because it doesn't move the text I'm trying to read.

+1000

Switching them to the floating panel was an awesome improvement...
dreadnaut

Post by dreadnaut »

Hello,
I have used this extension for a long time now, both in Fx and Tb, and I was now testing its behaviour in Fx4.

Is it possible, with this extension, to hide the menubar and hide the orange menu button at the same time? I would like to keep the standard title bar with the page title, but if I use this extension to hide the menubar, the orange button comes back.

Any chance to see this option added?
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

dreadnaut wrote:Is it possible, with this extension, to hide the menubar and hide the orange menu button at the same time? I would like to keep the standard title bar with the page title, but if I use this extension to hide the menubar, the orange button comes back.

Hello, please try the following Beta version:
v4.0.20110115b1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
+ (FX4) Allow pressing [ALT] or [F10] key to hide the menu bar when the standard title bar is enabled.
dreadnaut

Post by dreadnaut »

It seems to work fine, thank you!

The only quirk I can report is that the App Menu does not open if I choose "Show App menu" in the option dialog —but I guess that was expected.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

dreadnaut wrote:The only quirk I can report is that the App Menu does not open if I choose "Show App menu" in the option dialog —but I guess that was expected.

Thanks for the report, please try the new b2 version:
v4.0.20110115b2: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
+ Fixed: In standard title bar mode, the "Toggle App Button" option will be used to toggle the Menu Bar.
dreadnaut

Post by dreadnaut »

Working fine for me now, thank you!
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

v4.0.20110212: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
+ Added: Allow customize each Menu Bar Menu's display from Customize Toolbar panel.
+ Improved: Migrate the Prefs from "hidemenubar." to "extensions.hidemenubar."
bolobb

Post by bolobb »

There's a problem of compatibility with "PrefBar" extension: when I put the prefbar toolbar items in the menu bar, they disappear. They come back when I disable hidemenubar.
night_rain

Post by night_rain »

Hi, I upgraded to Firefox 4 RC and decided to use the hide menu bar option. The alt feature is great but I can't use the short cuts ctrl+k or ctrl+l...well it sort of works after I hit alt a couple times followed by repeated key mashing of ctrl+k and l. It works when I open a new tab but I would like it to work for an existing tab with a loaded page. I was wondering if there is a different short cut I could use? Thanks.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

bolobb wrote:There's a problem of compatibility with "PrefBar" extension: when I put the prefbar toolbar items in the menu bar, they disappear. They come back when I disable hidemenubar.

night_rain wrote:Hi, I upgraded to Firefox 4 RC and decided to use the hide menu bar option. The alt feature is great but I can't use the short cuts ctrl+k or ctrl+l...well it sort of works after I hit alt a couple times followed by repeated key mashing of ctrl+k and l. It works when I open a new tab but I would like it to work for an existing tab with a loaded page. I was wondering if there is a different short cut I could use? Thanks.

Hello, thanks for the bug report, please try the new version:
v4.0.20110316: (for Firefox 4 only) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
+ Fixed: If Location,Search is placed on Menu Bar, press Ctrl+L,Ctrl+K doesn't show the Menu Bar.
+ Fixed: Incompatible with "PrefBar" extension.
+ Added: ro locale.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Aaaargh... help!

I had Firefox 4 menubar working exactly as I had it working in 3.6, with only one exception... there is apparently no working menu compactor (TinyMenu is what I've always used and love)...

So, I tried installing the Personal Titlebar extension... interesting... I tried simply disabling some of the menus, but then decided I preferred to wait until one of the menu compactors is updated - but when I uninstalled the Personal Titlebar, Hide Menubar was no longer working as it was...

To make matters worse, I then discovered that somehow, *all* of the menus have gotten moved down to the *Navigation* toolbar...

Any chance you can help me get things restored to normal?

Thanks again for HideMenubar!!! I think I'm really going to like Firefox 4 now that I know how to configure the UI the way I want...