[Ext] Hide Menubar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
yuoo2k

Re: [Ext] Hide Menubar

Post by yuoo2k »

sksig wrote:Thank you for good add-on. Could you please add autohide it next build? It is really needed and i think i'm not the one who need it :). Privman already wrote best way to add it:

privman wrote:I think the best logic would be to show the menu if the mouse cursor hovers the window title bar, and hide it again if the cursor goes back below the menu bar.
It would make the add-on much more usable to people who do not predominantly use the keyboard. I hope it isn't too much work.

Hello, try the dev-build: HideMenubar-1.0.20090501 (right-click on link, save as...)

about:config
  • hidemenubar.autoshow=true
  • hidemenubar.autoshow.delay=500

Move the cursor to the window title bar, hold 0.5 second, the menubar will show up.
quentin.casasnovas

Post by quentin.casasnovas »

Hello,

Thanks for your add-on, very usefull :)

I see that your add-on is GPL'ed but I can't find a way to download your sources... Please let me know where I can find it. I'd like to have the source code to modify the Key that we need to press for the menu bar to appear, and maybe make it a parameter.

Thanks again :)
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

quentin.casasnovas wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your add-on, very usefull :)

I see that your add-on is GPL'ed but I can't find a way to download your sources... Please let me know where I can find it. I'd like to have the source code to modify the Key that we need to press for the menu bar to appear, and maybe make it a parameter.

Thanks again :)

Hello, the extension's XPI file is a ZIP file, you can unzip/extract it to get the source code.
More information about extension development: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Extensions
quentin.casasnovas

Post by quentin.casasnovas »

yuoo2k wrote:Hello, the extension's XPI file is a ZIP file, you can unzip/extract it to get the source code.
More information about extension development: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Extensions

Thank you very much :)
privman

Post by privman »

yuoo2k wrote:Hello, try the dev-build: HideMenubar-1.0.20090501 (right-click on link, save as...)

• hidemenubar.autoshow.delay=500

Move the cursor to the window title bar, hold 0.5 second, the menubar will show up.

Yuoo2k,
I managed to download the xpi (right-click, save link as..., as you suggested), but I can't install it. Firefox gives the following error:

Code: Select all

Firefox could not install the file at 

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Near/Desktop/hidemenubar-1.0.20090501_209.xpi

because: Not a valid install package

Am I doing something wrong? Could the file be somehow corrupted?
I can't open it with 7zip either.

Thanks,
Privman
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

I've made a new dev-build, please try this:
http://forum.moztw.org/files/hidemenuba ... 28_172.xpi

• hidemenubar.autoshow.delay=1000
  • hidemenubar.autoshow.margin-top=5
Move the mouse cursor over the position of menu bar and hold on there 1 sec, the menu bar will show up.
privman

Post by privman »

Wow!
It works!
This is great!

I would recommend the following settings for default:
  • hidemenubar.autohide.delay=300
  • hidemenubar.autoshow.delay=300
  • hidemenubar.autoshow.margin-top=10
Once I set them to the above values, I am really pleased! Thank you very much for this improvement, as a heavy mouse user, with a 768 pixel screen, I find this very useful.

You should also stress that the sensitive region is just immediately below the title bar. It took me a while to find it the first time.

Many many thanks,
Privman
jynx

Post by jynx »

I'm getting an error on right-click save:

....\hidemenubar-1.0.20090528_172.xpi could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.
privman

Post by privman »

jynx wrote:I'm getting an error on right-click save:

....\hidemenubar-1.0.20090528_172.xpi could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.
It works for me. Try this link:
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/341638/hi ... 28_172.xpi
jynx

Post by jynx »

Thanks, that link works.

And this is now great, just set the autohide delay to huge number and it never goes down. Now you can toggle it properly with ALT.
krimskrams

Post by krimskrams »

After updating to ff3.5rc2, I noticed that the menu bar is shown when switching apps with alt-tab (win xp). Is there a setting to prevent this behaviour?
akajohndoe

Post by akajohndoe »

When starting up Firefox (3.5RC4) today I was notified there was an update to this, so I installed it. Bad move. It behaves differently (worse) than the prior version. I am getting the MenuBar flicking into view when clicking on links, switching tabs, .... There are no options to configure this?

Unless I can locate the old version of this to backlevel it again to a working version I am going to uninstall it.
akajohndoe

Post by akajohndoe »

I *** HATE *** the auto show and the inconsistency of the flickering display of the menu bar. Uninstalling.

I moved what was on the Navigation Toolbar to the Menu Toolbar and turned off the display of the Navigation Toolbar. I also moved ForecastFox from the Menu Toolbar to the Sidebarheader Toolbar so that the Weather shows when I click on the left edge of the screen (or press f4) to activate the All-In-One Sidebar. f4 instead of alt; otherwise it seems pretty much the same visually.

One less add-on, too.

Actually, I kind of liked Hide Menubar up until this latest release.
privman

Post by privman »

akajohndoe wrote:I *** HATE *** the auto show and the inconsistency of the flickering display of the menu bar. Uninstalling.

I moved what was on the Navigation Toolbar to the Menu Toolbar and turned off the display of the Navigation Toolbar. I also moved ForecastFox from the Menu Toolbar to the Sidebarheader Toolbar so that the Weather shows when I click on the left edge of the screen (or press f4) to activate the All-In-One Sidebar. f4 instead of alt; otherwise it seems pretty much the same visually.

One less add-on, too.

Actually, I kind of liked Hide Menubar up until this latest release.

I believe all you have to do is type about:config in the address line, then type hidemenubar in the filter box, and set hidemenubar.autoshow to false. That should give you the old behaviour, if you liked it.
antz0303

Post by antz0303 »

Hi,

There is a problem with FF3.5
When I switch window by Alt-Tab, the menubar appears for a short moment. (focus problem)
The problem does not appear in FF3.0

Any solutions?
Thanks