[Ext] Net Notes - Store Notes on Websites in your Bookmarks

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
zeee

Re: [Ext] Net Notes - Store Notes on Websites in your Bookmarks

Post by zeee »

Interested, love it
RichGriese

Post by RichGriese »

Looks like an interesting add on. I have some questions. Is there a way to

1) display / filter to pages that have net notes. Meaning is there a way to show a list of all the pages that have net notes associated with them. I plan I using this for OPEN items that I plan on doing something with, so I would like to be able to see all the pages that I have put notes into

2) export stuff automatically? meaning, can I export a file that had the URL, title, and net note via some cron job?

will not get to crazy with questions before I even see if anyone responds in general.

Cheers! RichGriese.NET
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Hi RichGriese,
the Notes are stored in the description field of your bookmarks, so exporting the bookmarks exports the Notes, too.
Every note is automatically tagged (see Net Notes settings), so if you enter the tag into Firefox url bar, it will list bookmarks with notes.
RichGriese

Post by RichGriese »

Hey MAD BLUE,

I have just started playing with the add on. And found how it will add a TAG if there is no bookmark. I will actually start simply keeping a note on any item I want in my "collect", and i have seen how they all get thrown into a TAGed area automatically. so I can see how to manage my OPEN items.

So here is the next, and probably final question at least for a while. Is there a way to export the NOTE tag/folder? and preferably during a cron? here is what I am trying to do. I am actually going to build a web site based on the NOTES. The idea will be that my notes will actually be my blog articles. so, I kind of want to export all the pages with the notes and then make a web page out of them. I have hjust been experimenting with the SQLITE system of firefox where they seem to keep book marks, and will look to see if this add on adds a new table which will tell me something.

But do you get what I am asking? I am looking for the simplest way to on a time bases, write out the pages that I have notes on. I will then process that with php to build an actual page.

You can start to see a page I was doing this on by hand here;

http://webulite.dyndns.org:8080/docs/doku.php

I would export my google bookmarks and then my page would be built on bookmarks with certain tags. I hope to replace that with this notes system, cause typing notes with the system is a dream.

Any direction you can give me with accessing your notes field in SQLITE or exporting stuff on a timed bases would be appreciated.

Cheers! RichGriese.NET
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Hey RichGriese,
the Net Notes add-on doesn't add any special table or field to Firefox bookmarks SQLite database.
The Notes are simply using the description field of the bookmarks.
The notes tag is also using a standard feature of Firefox bookmark system.
I'm not familiar of how these infos are stored in the SQLite dabase as I'm using the higher level bookmarks API of Firefox.
But if you find out how to query for bookmarks with a given tag you should be all set up.
Greetings!
Sebastian
RichGriese

Post by RichGriese »

madblueimp wrote:I'm not familiar of how these infos are stored in the SQLite dabase as I'm using the higher level
Sebastian

Do you have a URL for that API? that might be really helpful.

I have found the data in the desc frield (yeah) in moz_items_annos of places1.sqlite

I guess now I simply have to start writing the data out, but the data is somewhat relational, meaning... the moz_items_annos table has the text data, but only a key, so the url and title will be found in other tables. I wonder if the higher livel firefox api you are talking about helps query on things, and it can draw from multiple tables.

So if you have any urls for info on the API you are talking about it would be perfect.

Thanks so much for getting to me so quick. This add on looks REALLY handy.

Cheers! RichGriese.NET
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

RichGriese wrote:So if you have any urls for info on the API you are talking about it would be perfect.

Sure: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places
One of the best things about Firefox add-on system is the extensive available documentation.

RichGriese wrote:Thanks so much for getting to me so quick. This add on looks REALLY handy.

Thanks. :)
Though I have to say that it's been long since I last found the time to work on any of my Open Source projects.
But among my add-ons, Net Notes has the clearest code base.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

NET NOTES PROJECT IS SEARCHING FOR A NEW DEVELOPER
If you are an add-on developer and would like to takeover this project please contact me at https://blueimp.net