[ext] NoScript 1.8 - Your Browser is YOURS

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Giorgio Maone

Re: [ext] NoScript 1.8 - Your Browser is YOURS

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@lakrids:
the fix was designed with a compromise in mind, but there was a bug in implementation.
Please download 1.8.9.4 again, and you'll find that fixed.
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Hi, I've noticed a small problem with noscript and controls on flash video players (youtube, dailymotion, bbc iplayer etc). It might also affect other flash objects, though I haven't checked that.

The problem is that there is a delay (of about 1 second) in registering mouse clicks on the controls the first time one is clicked. subsequent clicks respond instantly, until I click outside, and then inside, the object again.

This is on a fresh profile with only the noscript extension installed, and can be reliably eliminated by disabling noscript.

My setup:
Mac OS X 10.5.6
Shiretoko 20090120
noscript 1.8.9.4
Flash 10.0.12.36

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jon
paulfromhawaii

Post by paulfromhawaii »

Hello,
Yesterday I had a really dificult time accessing a secured site by Verisign.com. I kept getting rejected countles times and the Firefox browser would crash in the signing in process. I guess this happened at least 5 times.I finally went to the noscript options tab and clicked on Verisign.com,then restarted the firefox browser and finally I was allowed access.I checked the whitelist and verisign.com was in that list. Why did I have to manually check "allow verisign.com" to get access to this secure site? I have Firefox 3.0.5 with noscript version 1.8.9.2. I tried IE7 just to see what would happen, and it allowed instant access.Should the firefox 3.0.5 with noscript 1.8.9.2. behaved the same since verisign was in the white list? The last version of noscript did not have a problem, just version 1.8.9.2.By the way I love your noscript add on and hope the future update of Firefox has it installed. It is a fantasic program, Thank you.

Paulfromhawaii
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Jon V:
A very short delay (about 300ms on a 2,6Ghz CPU) is expected because ClearClick checks are quite expensive, involving a double offscreen rendering of the Flash object and its surroundings for comparison.
If your CPU is much slower than that (or is throttling to save notebook batteries) your perception may match the 1 second you're talking about, but as you said this is checked just on first interaction (unless you switch the focus on another object), therefore playing a Flash game or otherwise using a Flash UI is perfectly doable.
Anyway if for some reason you can't stand this behavior at all, you can disable it by switching the noscript.clearClick.plugins option to false.

@paulfromhawaii:
I've got no idea of what was happening, and I can't tell unless you show me the precise site and make me reproduce the issue.
However, could you check if the problem persists in latest development build?
Thanks.
Last edited by Giorgio Maone on January 20th, 2009, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulfromhawaii

Post by paulfromhawaii »

Hello giorgio,
The site is very secure as it has my stock portfolio in it so not wise to post here but I can say the problem is gone since I have verisign.com as trusted. Very tight security with noscript and I love it, the junk IE7 just let it in and firefox did it's job.If the noscript settings are a little high I can just adjust. I found a workaround so no more problem, thank you for your reply.

regards, paul
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@Jon V:
A very short delay (about 300ms on a 2,6Ghz CPU) is expected because ClearClick checks are quite expensive, involving a double offscreen rendering of the Flash object and its surroundings for comparison.
If your CPU is much slower than that (or is throttling to save notebook batteries) your perception may match the 1 second you're talking about, but as you said this is checked just on first interaction (unless you switch the focus on another object), therefore playing a Flash game or otherwise using a Flash UI is perfectly doable.
Anyway if for some reason you can't stand this behavior at all, you can disable it by switching the noscript.clearClick.plugins option to false.

Giorgio,

Thanks for the quick reply, makes sense.

I did slightly differently to your suggestion and added the sites where this affects me to noscript.clearClick.exceptions. This way I still have the protection on untrusted sites.

Jon
luntrus

Post by luntrus »

Hi Giorgio Maone,

I have found the following in the error log of my Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121620 Firefox/3.0.5 Flock/2.0.3 ID:2008121620
Error: 'NoScript aborted redirection to http://e.blip.tv/scripts/flash/showplay ... lejs=true' when calling method: [nsIChannelEventSink::onChannelRedirect] = NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING

What happened here, and why?

luntrus
Fx forever
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@luntrus:
NoScript detected that a script initially downloaded from a source which is in your whitelist had been redirected to a non-whitelisted address, and blocked the redirection.
Business as usual.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Hey Giorgio:

dhouwn wrote:1.8.9.4 identifies itself as 1.8.9.3?

It might be picky but after installing 1.8.9.4, my addons show it as 1.8.9.3 .... the only reason this is a problem is that tomorrow I may forget that I already have .4 and install it again. What can I say? I'm old. :P
It's like I said.
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

Friar Tuck wrote:Hey Giorgio:

dhouwn wrote:1.8.9.4 identifies itself as 1.8.9.3?

It might be picky but after installing 1.8.9.4, my addons show it as 1.8.9.3 .... the only reason this is a problem is that tomorrow I may forget that I already have .4 and install it again. What can I say? I'm old. :P

1.8.9.3 in add-ons but 1.8.9.4 in About Noscript. Now all you have to remember is where to look :roll:
andriyin

Post by andriyin »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@andriyin:
that option should turn the sites on that page which are currently marked as "Temporary allowed" into permanently allowed.
When I try it, it works as expected and does close the notification bar.
I suspect you're seeing an extension conflict.
Could you turn the javascript.options.showInConsole about:config preference to true and check if any error message appears in Tools|Error Console when you use that option?
Also could you try Standard Diagnostic?

Dear Giorgio,
diagnostic has no errors and it's not an extension' conflict. As additional reason: I use NoScript on two computers who has different extensions set, and behavior of it has be identically.
But my way and prefered features about my proposal has other reason.
Yes, the standard functions of NoScript workes true, but I have a mind that current algorithm of save preferences has a difficult points for users chooses to have not "free hands" him.
Your NoScript it's excellently like FF extension, but has it one bad and has poor point, described I'm last postings. My proposal it's a way for prevent it, but differently way of minds - yours and I'm, - don't have be a consensus. (And prevents this my poor english too.) I have mind that it's true way and reasonable it for many causes, IMHO.
I'm sorry for my perseverance. Sure, I can use it "as is".
Thank you for patience.
Esse - percipi... and sapienti sat!
lakrids

Post by lakrids »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@lakrids:
the fix was designed with a compromise in mind, but there was a bug in implementation.
Please download 1.8.9.4 again, and you'll find that fixed.

Thanks again Giorgio. Fix confirmed. Just letting you know I wouldn't mind 0 as default for placeholderMinSize at all if you feel it's necessary.
Jennnay

Post by Jennnay »

Hi George:

I've had this reoccurring problem. I've got version 1.8.9.2 loaded...

Every time I open firefox browser It loads my selected home page, and this (noScript webpage)
http://noscript.net/?ver=1.8.9.2&prev=

V. 1.8.9.2 - Your Browser is YOURS

Congratulations, you've got the latest version.

My browser does this everytime. I've uninstalled and deleted firefox and all add ons . Reinstalled firefox and the Noscript addon, and I still get this extra page from noscript starting up every time I start my browser...

Any idea what the problem might be?
This extra page is a pain.
luntrus

Post by luntrus »

Hi Giorgio Maone and other readers of this posting,

There is a new sneaky way of putting malicious code on a 404: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic= ... #msg351890
As we are protected by NoScript and this is VSB malware.gen, still one should be aware that all kind of web pages "could" have malware on them. Don't forget, my dear forum members, the malcreant is "a sneaky animal", keep that at the back of your minds always. Stay safe and secure through NoScript, is the wish and command of

luntrus
Fx forever
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Jennnay:
either you accidentally saved that page in Tools|Options|Main|Startup or your Firefox is failing at saving preferences.
If the latter applies, you may need migrating your data to a new profile.