[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.3

Post by Morac »

If you have have an auto-save session open with multiple windows and you want to save them all you can either choose "Close session" from the session manager or just exit Firefox using File->Exit. Either will save all the open windows back to the auto-save session.

As for closed windows getting lost. When a window is closed, if the "Maximum number of remembered closed windows" option is not 0, the window will show up in the Recently Closed list menu. By default the last 10 closed windows are saved.

Now by default, the list of closed windows is cleared when you shut down the browser (ie: close the last window). If you want the list to be saved after Firefox is shut down, check the "Don't clear the list of closed windows at shutdown" option. With that checked, the closed window list will never be clear itself automatically, though older closed windows will still be pushed out of the list by newer closed windows.
TheCric

Re:[Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.3 - French version

Post by TheCric »

I don't know if it's the good thread for that but there is a problem in the french translation

To access in the french version to the list of saved sessions
you find in the menu "sauvegarder les sessions" which means in french sessions saving.

"sauvegarder les sessions" means exactly the opposite of what it does because it does not save anything but instead restore to a previous session state.

The menu should be something like
"sessions sauvegardées" meaning "saved sessions"
or
"restauration de sessions précédentes" meaning restoring to previous sessions
Morac

Post by Morac »

TehCric,

I passed your message on to my French translator.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that I named the sub-menu that contains backed up sessions the "Backup Sessions" menu. I was using "Backup" as an adjective here to describe the sessions and not a verb. Similar to the phrasing of "Backup generator." Maybe I should have used the phrase "Backed up sessions" instead.
al1984

Post by al1984 »

Thanks for the reply, it now works well within my abilities. Don't know why I couldn't grasp the principle out of the docs.
q00u

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.2

Post by q00u »

Morac wrote:Did you choose to restore the "Current session" (the top most entry)? If not then that could explain why an older session was restored. If you did choose a different session, the crashed session will be backed up and show up in the Backup Sessions sub-menu with the approximate time it crashed.

Haha, of course. What I ended up with was two identical sessions, the one from a few days previous and the one supposedly that had just crashed (but had a timestamp identical to the previous one).

Did I mention that this is reproducible? This has actually happened multiple times now.

Morac wrote:There's a few bugs (410060 and 366509) that I'm aware of that can cause Firefox to stop periodically backing up session data but they seem to only occur if Firebug is installed. There is another bug that can prevent Session Manager from backing up the crash data (if the session is very, very large), but it would not prevent the crashed session from restoring. You'd see errors in the Error Console for either of these cases.

Thanks for the links. YES, this started happening after I installed Firebug. Guess I won't be using THAT extension anymore!

Thanks for putting me on the right path. Session Manager GOOD. (Firebug BAD!)
Morac

Post by Morac »

q00u wrote:Haha, of course. What I ended up with was two identical sessions, the one from a few days previous and the one supposedly that had just crashed (but had a timestamp identical to the previous one).

Did I mention that this is reproducible? This has actually happened multiple times now.

I found that myself a few days ago. What is actually occurring is that when Firefox recovers from a crash, Session Manager copies the crashed session data that Firefox keeps into a back up with the time stamp being the time of the crash. The problem is that if Firefox loads and immediately crashes again without the user going to another page, Firefox never updates the session data so the time stamp doesn't change.

I was contemplating changing Session Manager to store the time stamp of when the browser was first launched after a crash, but decided against it because the current time stamp is technically correct. The time listed in the crashed session, is the time the session data was last updated. If I updated the times to indicate when they were backed up, it might cause more confusion as to why they are all the same.
A_Phoenix

Post by A_Phoenix »

Cont'd from questions and answers started in Session Manager 0.6.2.2 thread...
I apologize for not being able to reply sooner than this. Being Disabled prevents me from spending the same amount of time online that I once was able to spend. Hard to get used to, even after being ill for a while, now.

Daifne wrote:A_Phoenix,
Colored text is not allowed in forum signatures here. Please change that. Thank you.

Sorry Daifne! I wasn't aware of that rule and have corrected my signature, per your request. Thanks for letting me know.

Morac wrote:
A_Phoenix wrote:Sometimes we need to temporarily switch "Replace Existing Windows" off. Each time we do, we remember that we can open "Session Manager Options" from Session Manager's own menu. Then we also remember something else - this and other options are at the bottom of the menu.
I agree that the Options item in the menu should probably be at the top and have plans for it in my next version...

I'm glad you agree that the "Options" item should be at the top, and I hope you're also thinking about moving everything else currently found below the "Saved Sessions" list up there too! That includes the menu branch: "Reopen Closed..." (tabs and windows) which is down there, and also needs to come up to the top.

They could all be moved to a new branch at the top, called "More options..." (or whatever), where they could still be listed just as they currently appear at the bottom, only moved into a branch on top, instead.

Even the new "Backup Sessions" branch should be placed in the "More options..." (or whatever) branch, along with everything else - Nice and Neat!

Morac wrote:but you don't need to toggle the "Replace Existing Windows" option on and off...

If you hold down the "shift" key while clicking on the session name it will load the session as if the "Replace Existing Windows" option is off...

This is mentioned in the documentation.

Thanks for the tip, Morak! As for missing that shortcut in your documentation, I must admit that I haven't been able to re-read the documentation, since the first time I read it, hardly at all. I don't need to make that particular change very often, so I wasn't looking for the shortcut at the time and I missed it.

I guess I just didn't read carefully enough. In any case, I apologize for implying there wasn't a simpler way than going through the Add-ons window to use the Option button for this extension. :oops:

I'd also like to once again remind everyone, that I really do love this great and absolutely needed extension, which Morac has given us! It has literally saved me an incalculable amount of time. Time which I would've otherwise had to spend relocating all the places that I'd last let off pursuit of each topic currently being researched.

Not to mention all the time it would take without this extension, just trying to relocate all those even harder to find links which are discovered while passing through all those sites along each topic's thread. Links I would still need in order to further investigate certain aspects of some topics properly.

Too many simultaneous topics for just one person to keep up with, normally. However, with this extension it can be done, fairly easily, by just one person!

Morac wrote:
A_Phoenix wrote:We would also love an option to use the encryption feature for many of our sessions, but without having to go through the encryption interface every time we open or close a session, tab or window - or even to Start or End FF itself! #-o

I'm not sure what you mean by "too much extra work." The encryption option is very simplistic; once you enable it all saved sessions are encrypted, including any new sessions created. There is nothing that needs to be done after that. In fact the only sign that encryption is even enabled is if you have a master password set in Firefox. If you do, then the first time after starting Firefox, when Session Manager needs to read or save session or window data, Firefox will prompt you once for the master password. Unless you are continuously exiting and restarting Firefox, it is barely noticeable.

That's wonderful to hear! I got the idea that enabling encryption would entail lots of work, having to use a password every time we saved or restored a session (or window), from the description I found in your User Guide, where
(Someone?) wrote: If the browser is set to use a master browser password, then this password must be specified in order to load and save sessions. If the master password is not entered correctly when loading a session, the session will not load. If it is not entered correctly when saving a session or closing a window, the session or closed window will be saved, but not encrypted.

I believe you can see how I might have become confused on this issue, not having a clear statement to explain that, after correctly entering (whichever) password once, thereafter we don't need to enter it again. Not until after Firefox has actually been closed and restarted, and we then decide to either reload a session, or save a new session.

Now using the encryption option makes sense, which it really didn't seem to do under the restrictions which we at first thought, and yes, then further "assumed" to exist. For which, we must again apologize - we usually know better than to assume anything - sorry, Morak! #-o

Which leaves us with two final questions on this subject:

1) Is there an error trap to let users know when the password is not entered correctly, and therefore the save will not be encrypted? And, even though a session failing to load could be explained by a user entering an incorrect password, a message confirming the cause of such a failure would still be reassuring to see.

2) Have you considered allowing users to encrypt only individual sessions, sometime in the future, possibly? That could give us the ability to safely share a system with others, in those situations where it's better not to set the system up to require logging in as a different user, and creating the separate desktop environments that go with multi-user setups.

Finally,
Morac wrote:BTW, who is "we"? :?

That would be myself, some colleagues from 14 years spent as a computer consultant, some clients, as well as others with whom we still stay in touch. Thanks for the interest!
"IGNORANCE? - It may be "Bliss" for those who have it...
__________ but it's -Agony- for those who don't!"

Robert Gregory: Lombard (2005)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

A_Phoenix wrote:Even the new "Backup Sessions" branch should be placed in the "More options..." (or whatever) branch, along with everything else - Nice and Neat!

Since "Previous Browsing Session" is the selection I make most often, I for one would not like to see the "Backup Sessions" flyout moved into yet another sub-menu.

By the way, Morac spent several hours updating and completely reworking the documentation. You might find it worthwhile to read it again. I did.

I couldn't agree with you more about how useful Session Manager is. :D
Recall

Post by Recall »

I know this sounds strange, but could you add an option to hide "do not show me this again" checkbox at shutdown? I always want it to be shown, without the box.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
onemen

Post by onemen »

Morac,
i'v fixed some bugs in the function that convert Tabmix session format to session manager format. you can find the new code in the last TMP dev-build

one more thing....
replace SessionManager.dataFlush();
with
SessionManager.saveStateDelayed();
tirams

Post by tirams »

Is there a way to view the urls and titles in the set of saved sessions? There doesn't seem to be any way for the user to know from the list of backedup-x.sessions what they contain.

Can I extend this add-onn to add a menu item which presents the saved sessions folder as a html file (similar to exporting bookmarks) to see a dump of the urls/links in the saved session? is the format of the saved sessions file in JSON? is it documented anywhere?
q00u

Post by q00u »

Morac wrote:
q00u wrote:What I ended up with was two identical sessions, the one from a few days previous and the one supposedly that had just crashed (but had a timestamp identical to the previous one).

I found that myself a few days ago. What is actually occurring is that when Firefox recovers from a crash, Session Manager copies the crashed session data that Firefox keeps into a back up with the time stamp being the time of the crash. The problem is that if Firefox loads and immediately crashes again without the user going to another page, Firefox never updates the session data so the time stamp doesn't change.

That wasn't exactly the same problem I experienced. In fact, there were a couple of days between crashes, with lots of new pages, etc.

The problem was that I had installed Firebug, which ruins everything if you have, say, 300 tabs open (like me ^_^). Firebuggy prevents Firefox from updating the in-case-of-crash session, so if when it does crash, your last crash-session is the one before Firebugger was installed (if you never get below the maximum non-fail number of tabs, whatever that may be).

So Firefox (or Vista) would crash every once in a while (or the power would go out or an application would lock the computer forcing me to restart or ...), and I would keep getting the SAME recovered session over and over again.

Thanks Firebug.

(sad epilogue: after you told me what was causing the problem, I uninstalled Firebug. Did I restart right away? No, because I'm mentally challenged. When I changed locations, I Hibernated the computer. Here's a pro-tip: If you hibernate your computer, and then remove a number of external drives and then turn it back on, WINDOWS IS NOT HAPPY. Windows is, in fact, quite BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. And then I was without Internet for some days, just long enough for my browser history to go out of index range. So I can't even look back through it and TRY to remember what tabs I still needed open.)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

@morac:
User with a problem.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=862405
micknil

Post by micknil »

Thanks for a real good extension!
a funktion i really would like to have is toolbar buttons to quickly load saved sessions.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

micknil wrote:Thanks for a real good extension!
a funktion i really would like to have is toolbar buttons to quickly load saved sessions.

There is a custom(ize) buttons extension that may enable you to create one for this functionality. It will be a good learning experience for you. :-"
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi