[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Alan Baxter

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.1

Post by Alan Baxter »

makondo wrote:1. prefs window - General/Display - maximum number of sessions to display in menu -1? What does it mean?

(Raises hand) Oo, oo, I know. Without rereading them, I think the docs say display them all. Right?
Morac

Post by Morac »

1. I had a feeling this would come back to bite me. I ended up changing this after I submitted the locale strings to the translators so I didn't get a change to add text to indicate that -1 means to show all sessions. I did add it to the options documentation page (Display options):: "This specifies the maximum number of sessions that will be displayed in the Session list. If this is set to a negative number, then all sessions will be displayed.".

I should modify the locale string to mention this, but once I submit something to translators, any changes I make won't get translated unless I delete the entire string and create a new one.

I was actually going to remove that option for this release since it doesn't make sense currently as there's no other way to select sessions that are hidden (I'm working on that), but at the last second I threw in the -1 option and just left it like that. I doubt anyone will use it as it is currently.

2. There shouldn't be any sessions with (0) to the right of it. Where are you seeing this?
makondo

Post by makondo »

1. Thanks guys! (i see it now).
2. Toolbar button, click the arrow - dropdown menu with my sessions - all of them have that (0) next to the number of wins/tabs, like this:
1 (1/5) (0)
2 (1/8) (0)
3 (1/5) (0)
etc.
I didn't change my settings between 0.6.2 and 0.6.2.1 but it just has to be something there. The only thing i've changed in 0.6.2 was switch from 'none' to select>previous and at shutdown>discard.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Okay I just upgraded my main profile and am seeing the (0)s now on two sessions. They weren't there when I was testing with a development version from earlier in the week so it must have been something I changed in the last few days. I should be able to track it down relatively easily, especially since it only shows up in the menus, not in any of the pop-up windows.

Ah, I just noticed that the numbers that normally appear on the left are gone. It must be related to that.

Edit: - found the problem and uploaded a fix.
lestarte

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.2

Post by lestarte »

Second, what exactly are you trying to do? If you want to restore the previous session,

Exactly. To be more precises: I'd like to have the same behaviour as with my old FFox 2, that it should work automatically.

2. Set the "Select Session" -> "<Previous Browsing Sesssion>" option in Session Manager and SM will restore the last session.

Sadly, it won't - that's my problem

If neither of the above is working, please tell me what OS you are using, what setting you have set in Session Manager and what other extensions you are using.

I'm using:
Windows XP SP3 (german)
Firefox 3.0
(roughly translated from my german version)
Common-Tab:
starting: last session
exiting: save current session
replace existing windows
automatically save replaced session
sort: new to old
keep crashed copies: 2

Restore-Tab:
max. closed: 5
max. tabs: 15
list of closed tabs: never

Extended-Tab:
session names: %40t-%d
destinationfolder: not filled in

SessionSaving-Tab:
restore after crash enabled
minimum interval: 10
max. post-data: -1
only unsecured sites
Morac

Post by Morac »

lestarte, I found a case where restoring the previous session wasn't working correctly. This was fixed in 0.6.2.1. If you are still having problems with that version I'll need to see what your actual preference settings are. To get those type "about:config" in the address bar (click okay if Firefox gives you a warning) and then filter on 'sessionmanager". Tell me what these are set to:

extensions.sessionmanager.startup - should be 2 in your case
extensions.sessionmanager.resume_session - should be backup.session in your case

If those preferences are set correctly, then use the menu to open the session folder and close Firefox. Make sure there is a backup.session file in that folder. If there is, then startup Firefox and report any errors you see in the Error Console.

If nothing works, you can always just set the "Show my windows and tabs from last time" setting in Firefox which will result in things working the way they did under 0.6.1.13.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Just a little update for those who have manually downloaded 0.6.2.2 from my site. I pulled the version I had originally sent to Mozilla to add two things:

1. Added a help button to the options window that links to the options page (it's cool you'll like it :) ).
2. Added the previously hidden "disable cache fixer" option to the Advanced page.

I haven't updated the 0.6.2.2 on my site yet, since I want to give the translators a few hours before doing so, but I plan to re-release it as 0.6.2.2 since 0.6.2.2 never went live on addons.mozilla.org.

I'll let you know when it goes live again.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Thanks! The (0)s are gone, all's well here. Waiting for the new 6.2.2 ...
Morac

Post by Morac »

I re-uploaded 0.6.2.2 so you can grab it again if you already did. If you are still using 0.6.2.1, you can either manually grab 0.6.2.2 or wait for Mozilla to push it out.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Morac wrote:Version: 0.6.2.2
* Added a help button to the options window that links to the options page (it's cool you'll like it :) ).

Way cool! It doesn't have to reload the page when I reclick Help in a different section.

* Fixed issue with some backup sessions showing up outside the backup sub-menu.

I hadn't gotten around to reporting this problem yet. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Procrastination actually works sometimes.
Recall

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2

Post by Recall »

Morac wrote:
lestarte wrote:Hi there.
The sad part: since I've upgraded to Firefox 3, Session Manager doesn't work like it should anymore...
Regardless of disabling the built-in session saver of FFox or not, I always have to choose manually after starting that I want to open the last session.
(Do you recommend to disable the built-in saver by the way?)

I've disabled the ASK ME window at start (to choose a session) since it worked like a charm without it in FFox 2 and I don't want FFox to "hang" on that window while loading and me being away from the PC, for example.
The Ses.Man-setting is to load the last session automatically.

First off, don't disable Firefox's session management functionality since it is used by Session Manager.
Second, what exactly are you trying to do? If you want to restore the previous session, you have two choices:
1. Set the "show my windows and tabs from last time" option in Firefox and FFwill handle the restore.
2. Set the "Select Session" -> "<Previous Browsing Sesssion>" option in Session Manager and SM will restore the last session.

If neither of the above is working, please tell me what OS you are using, what setting you have set in Session Manager and what other extensions you are using.

Recall wrote:Could you implement a way so that it offers to save at shutdown, then if you click yes it automatically restores it?

That's kind of how things worked in my development version up into about a week ago, but I changed it because it didn't make sense. Currently you can set it up to prompt you at shutdown, but choosing to save won't automatically restore it. Similarly there is a prompt at startup, but that's not what you want either. I guess I can change the prompt at shutdown's options to "Save", "Save and Restore Next Time", and "Quit". That won't make it into 0.6.2 though since 0.6.2 just went public over at addons.mozilla.org.

Alan Baxter wrote:<Previous Browsing Session> is being displayed as "" on the Options doc page in the Select session section and other sections.

Thanks. I found a few other errors which I'm also going to correct.

Thanks for sorting the session storing option at shutdown! Working as I wanted, however one small thing, it shows after I close if I want to save. Could you possibly have it show in the main window the same as save and quit used to work until they broke it in FF3 ( unless I have warn me on close tabs which I hate and the reason I want this extension )
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Morac

Post by Morac »

Recall wrote:Thanks for sorting the session storing option at shutdown! Working as I wanted, however one small thing, it shows after I close if I want to save. Could you possibly have it show in the main window the same as save and quit used to work until they broke it in FF3 ( unless I have warn me on close tabs which I hate and the reason I want this extension )

What exactly do you mean by "show in the main window"?
If the last window is closed, there's no place to show it except it a new window that pops up at shutdown.
Recall

Post by Recall »

Morac wrote:
Recall wrote:Thanks for sorting the session storing option at shutdown! Working as I wanted, however one small thing, it shows after I close if I want to save. Could you possibly have it show in the main window the same as save and quit used to work until they broke it in FF3 ( unless I have warn me on close tabs which I hate and the reason I want this extension )

What exactly do you mean by "show in the main window"?
If the last window is closed, there's no place to show it except it a new window that pops up at shutdown.

Well as I click close, when save and quit works it pops up before closing firefox. Yours pops up after the main window has closed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Morac

Post by Morac »

Ah okay. That's because Firefox 3.0 listens for the "quit-application-requested" event (which fires right before shutdown), while Session Manager listens for either the window closed or "quit-application" event.

I can't remember exactly why I don't use the "quit-application-requested" event, but I believe it has something to do with it causing sessions to not be saved correctly in Firefox 2.0 on shutdown since the event fired to late to save the session data.

That and it causes lost data if the Firefox window is closed before say something like the "Downloads" or "Error Console" window. For example, if you close the last Firefox window before the Downloads window, the "Save and Quit" prompt never appears and your window is lost. This is actually a Firefox bug that will be fixed in 3.1. With Session Manager, you get the prompt and the data is saved.

Personally I don't see what the difference is between having the pop-up occur before or after the last window closes, as long as all the data is saved. I may change it in the future if I can get it working without data loss.
GigMormon

Post by GigMormon »

Morac wrote:Ah okay. That's because Firefox 3.0 listens for the "quit-application-requested" event (which fires right before shutdown), while Session Manager listens for either the window closed or "quit-application" event.

I can't remember exactly why I don't use the "quit-application-requested" event, but I believe it has something to do with it causing sessions to not be saved correctly in Firefox 2.0 on shutdown since the event fired to late to save the session data. ...

Maybe it is time to have separate versions for Firefox 2, 3.01, and 3.1 for a while, then phase out the older ones after a while.