[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.2.1

Post by Morac »

WildcatRay wrote:@Morac,

Thanks for the update. I have a question and/or suggestion. Is there a setting (in about:config) that can stop the documentation page from loading after installing and/or updating the extension? Or, alternately, can it be revised to load in a new tab like NoScript and FlashGot do? Thanks.

It should load in a new tab, unless all tabs are blank in which it just loads in the blank tab. What's happening in your case?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Morac wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:@Morac,

Thanks for the update. I have a question and/or suggestion. Is there a setting (in about:config) that can stop the documentation page from loading after installing and/or updating the extension? Or, alternately, can it be revised to load in a new tab like NoScript and FlashGot do? Thanks.

It should load in a new tab, unless all tabs are blank in which it just loads in the blank tab. What's happening in your case?

I typically have 2 tabs open when closing the browser. The documentation page loads in the active tab when the browser reopens. I can use "Back" to return to the page originally saved.

I also have the latest TMP dev version. Since these 2 extensions have so much overlap, is there a setting(s) in about:config that I should check?

Is there a way other than uninstalling and reinstalling SM to "trigger" the documentation page?

Thanks.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Morac

Post by Morac »

WildcatRay wrote:I typically have 2 tabs open when closing the browser. The documentation page loads in the active tab when the browser reopens. I can use "Back" to return to the page originally saved.

What method are you using to restore the two tabs? I've tried numerous methods of restoring the last tabs (setting them as homepage, using Firefox's restore functionality, using Session Manager's restore functionality) and every time Session Manager opens the documentation in a new tab. This is with the Firefox 3.1 nightlies.

As for how to trigger this. If you change the "extensions.sessionmanager.version" preference to anything other than what it is currently set to, it will trigger the documentation page to open the next time a browser window is opened. So if you change it and then shut down Firefox, the next time you start Firefox, the documentation page will open.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@Morac,

I'm using SM to auto-restore my tabs on startup in Minefield. FWIW, I've used TMP for quite some time and only recently came to SM.

Also, FWIW, I have quite a few extensions installed. Disabling TMP had no effect so I'm going to have to go through and disable them all and re-enable one by one. ](*,)
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

With just MR Tech Toolkit and SM enabled, the documentation page opened in a new tab. I then re-enabled TMP and the documentation page opened in the active tab upon restart.
Ray

Morac

Post by Morac »

WildcatRay wrote:With just MR Tech Toolkit and SM enabled, the documentation page opened in a new tab. I then re-enabled TMP and the documentation page opened in the active tab upon restart.

I use MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.1 and TMP 0.3.7pre.080816 and just managed to recreate the issue. I then upgraded to TMP 0.3.7pre080830 and didn't see it again. What version of TMP are you using?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

TMP 0.3.7pre080830
Ray

WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

I tested things, again, and this time, the documentation page opened in a new tab! Go figure! Sorry about all this. Thanks for your time.
Ray

Morac

Post by Morac »

I've tried it a few times and sometime it uses an existing tab and other times it opens a new tab. I tracked it down to a timing issue. My addon checks to see if the current tab is blank and if it is it decides to use it. What seems to be happening is that Firefox opens a new tab to load the requested page and then my extension sees that it's currently blank and decides to use it. Firefox then finishes loading and then my extension loads into the "blank" tab that isn't really blank.

I'll see if I can come up with a better "blank" test or just put a longer delay in.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Morac wrote:I've tried it a few times and sometime it uses an existing tab and other times it opens a new tab. I tracked it down to a timing issue. My addon checks to see if the current tab is blank and if it is it decides to use it. What seems to be happening is that Firefox opens a new tab to load the requested page and then my extension sees that it's currently blank and decides to use it. Firefox then finishes loading and then my extension loads into the "blank" tab that isn't really blank.

I'll see if I can come up with a better "blank" test or just put a longer delay in.

Often, my active tab is a gmail sign-in page which can be slow to load. Perhaps that was why it was "easy" for me to see this.
Ray

makondo

Post by makondo »

Diggin' a bit: the documentation page, "Select session' section, last phrase:
This was changed because Session Manager's backup data may differ from Firefox's depending on the Session Mananger settings (see ).

('ManaNger' and 'see' < see what?)
Also: ' Restoring: Replace ExistingS Windows
Also: '...sessions can only be read in profiles that containS iNdentical copies of the key3.db file.'
And the last one (i see): '...Save sensitive data (form data, POSTDAT and cookies for...'

I'm done :-"
Last edited by makondo on September 3rd, 2008, 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Morac

Post by Morac »

makondo wrote:Diggin' a bit: the documentation page, "Select session' section, last phrase:
This was changed because Session Manager's backup data may differ from Firefox's depending on the Session Mananger settings (see ).

('ManaNger' and 'see' < see what?)

Good question. :oops:
Fixed.
makondo

Post by makondo »

I added a bit up there ^^ :wink:
Morac

Post by Morac »

I re-uploaded version 0.6.2.1 to make it always display the documentation in a new tab. I tried playing with the timing, but the only fool-proof way to get it to work correctly was to put a long delay in. This didn't seem right though since it could cause the page to not display for several seconds after opening the browser. So I chose the lesser of two evils. I'm sure someone will complain that it's not using the blank tab, but :roll:

Also I fixed up the documentation again. Thanks makondo. I usually don't make that many mistakes. You're not an editor by trade are you? :P
makondo

Post by makondo »

Hehe, just had too much time on my hands.
Installed the 2.1 and have a couple of Qs (i did check the docs page but didn't find my answers there ... sorry, if i missed something!);
1. prefs window - General/Display - maximum number of sessions to display in menu -1? What does it mean?
2. When i ck=lick on the toolbar button and the menu drops down, i see sessions and next to them (1/5) - that i understand. But what is the new (0) next to it?
TIA!