[Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
campian

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.7.6.1 - Aug 3, 2011

Post by campian »

Hi,
Could you make a plugin that prevents FF from trying to load pages without explicit refresh?I'm asking on this thread because this could also be integrated into Session manager quite easily i think .
Motivation: If you're like me and have a big number of tabs to restore the you will probably start FF while offline because FF tries to autorefresh them.
Now comes the problem: The initial title of the site is replaced with "Problem error loading page" so it's very hard to find the tab you're looking for if (you know just the title )AND (the title and url have no common words).
I'm pretty sure there's no need to store the tab titles as FF automatically does this (on reload initially i see my tabs names). Only thing to do is a block refresh on session restore and this would give "Session manager" another useful feature
Morac

Post by Morac »

There's no need for a plugin to do that as Firefox can already do that on it's own as of Firefox 4.
Go to about:config and change the browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs preference to 0.

Or if you want to do things the easy way, simply go to Session Manager's options and go to the General->Saving & Restoring settings and change the "Number of tabs to restore concurrently" setting to 0 (which changes the above preference).

If you are using Aurora or later, the browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs preference is replaced by a browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand preference so change that to false. My next version of Session Manager will be able to control that preference in it's options window.
campian

Post by campian »

problem is once i click a tab it tries to automatically restore/refresh that tab.. which i don't want ...so it does help but not very much
Morac

Post by Morac »

I'm confused, so basically you want a browser that doesn't browse?
campian

Post by campian »

Of coourse not. I just wnat to disable the automatic reload for good. when i set browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 0 it did half the job.. it prevented FF from initially auto-restoring my tabs, while still preserving the title of my tabs. But it still auto restores the tab i click (if it is the first time i click it in a browsing session). I want to disable this behaviour too.

Try it yourself. Open 20 tabs and set the max_concurent_tabs to 0. Restart FF. The pages ( their content to be more precise) will not be restored. You click on one , it ges restored (automatically). You click on another, it also gets restored ( automatically of course). I would like for a page to be restored only when i explicitly choose to. And that is when i press f5 or i click the refresh button. If i havent been clear tell me and i will rephrase .
Morac

Post by Morac »

I don't think there's a way to load a page without loading a page. If setting Firefox to offline mode (which shoukd read everything from the disk cache) doesn't work then there's no way to restore the contents of the page (images and all).

I remember an old addon that would actually save the content of every page visited for use offline. I don't remember what it was called though. I remeber it used a lot of disk space.
campian

Post by campian »

Now i'm confused :)) "a way to load a page without loading a page" ? :))
"remember an old addon that would actually save the content of every page visited for use offline" why would i need that addon?..i just want FF to stop autorestoring my pages . FF currently tries to AUTOrestore ( by autorestore i mean it tries to go online and fetch the content of a page without me explicitly telling it to do so - a click on a tab does not explicitly mean i want my tab reloaded, clicking on refresh means i want my tab reloaded) the content of the tabs that get clicked. if you want i could start a teamviewer session ..that would probably help

PS maybe i haven't used the right terms.. if i check work offline, FF will still try to read from my cache instead of reading online. I just dont want FF to attempt reading the page unless I tell it to, by pressing refresh.
bolidew

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.7.4 - Nov 21, 2009

Post by bolidew »

Morac wrote:Auto-Save Window session were very tricky to implement. I actually went to great pains to make it so that loading normal sessions with window sessions "in them" wouldn't actually cause the window session to open with the sole exception of loading the previous session or in the case of a crash.

The reason I did so is it's very easy to accidentally save window sessions into a normal session and not realize it. Later if you load that session you can end up clobbering your window session accidentally. Also since window sessions are stored in separate files from the session you saved, it's possible that they could get out of sync if, say you went into the session you just saved and removed a tab from a "window session". At that point, the window session "in" the session you just edited doesn't watch the actual window session's file. If loading the normal session, triggered the window sessions to be active, then the window session's file would end up getting modified.

Basically it's a lot more complicated than it seems.

I'm assuming you simply want to load a bunch of window sessions at at once correct? It might be easier to make a method to do so, kind of a meta-session as opposed to trying to sync normal sessions with auto-save window sessions.

I know it's an old post but still hopeful that some progress is now possible to be made on this front. Your quotes were in reply to my feature request before:
"My session includes a few Auto-Save windows.
I save/backup this session and quit Firefox.
Later I load this session but none of the windows still maintain the Auto-Save status.

Could you please make SM retain this window attribute?
OR make it an user preference?
"
Thank you very much for this wonderful work.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.7.4 - Nov 21, 2009

Post by Morac »

bolidew wrote:I know it's an old post but still hopeful that some progress is now possible to be made on this front. Your quotes were in reply to my feature request before:
"My session includes a few Auto-Save windows.
I save/backup this session and quit Firefox.
Later I load this session but none of the windows still maintain the Auto-Save status.

Could you please make SM retain this window attribute?
OR make it an user preference?
"
Thank you very much for this wonderful work.

If you quit Firefox with auto-save windows open and then start Firefox and restore your last session when prompted (or let Firefox do it), the auto-save windows should be restored. The problem you run into is if you try to later load a session. Like I mentioned before window sessions and normal sessions are separate. Loading a normal session won't load window sessions and vice-versa.

I could add a checkbox or something to the load window which when checked would load any stored autosave-window sessions in the session. That won't be in the next release though.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I've released 0.7.7 and I've started a new thread for Session Manager so please continue all discussions there.