[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
twanno

Post by twanno »

Hi mjcarman,

Could you try another test version. It works for me now, but I want to be sure it works for you too before I release it.

thanks,
Twanno
mjcarman

Post by mjcarman »

Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't had much time to play with it. It works for me too, but not consistently. It seems to behave better on my home installation than on my portable (USB) one. I'd write that off to the portable version not keeping history, but it does work sometimes, which blows that theory. I think it's good enough to release. If I can figure out better testcases, I'll let you know.
mjcarman

Post by mjcarman »

Twanno,
A couple of times now I've had Firefox get into a state where middle-clicking on a link duplicates the tab but doesn't open the link. (I have both middle-click options set.) At first I thought the sites were doing something with redirects or javascript, but view-source convinced me otherwise and the problem went away after restarting the browser. I had the problem while visiting Bloglines, but I don't know if that's what triggered it.
twanno

Post by twanno »

Thanks for testing

mjcarman wrote:It works for me too, but not consistently

I think this is because I use a short time before the link is loaded in the new tab, so Reveal has time to update the last thumbnail. The time I use may be a bit too short in some cases, I'll extend that a bit.

mjcarman wrote:A couple of times now I've had Firefox get into a state where middle-clicking on a link duplicates the tab but doesn't open the link. (I have both middle-click options set.) At first I thought the sites were doing something with redirects or javascript, but view-source convinced me otherwise and the problem went away after restarting the browser. I had the problem while visiting Bloglines, but I don't know if that's what triggered it.

That is strange, are there any errors in the Javascript Console (Tools -> JavaScript Console) when this happens?

Twanno
mjcarman

Post by mjcarman »

Yup! I finally found one:

aNewThumbNail.thumb has no properties
chrome://duplicatetab/content/duplicatetab.js line 546

Once the problem occurs it seems to be permanent, but only for the affected tab. If I open a new tab via Ctrl-T or by middle-clicking on a bookmark, the problem doesn't happen for links middle-clicked from within that tab.
twanno

Post by twanno »

I have an updated test version ready, this should fix the inconsistency problems.
mjcarman wrote:aNewThumbNail.thumb has no properties
chrome://duplicatetab/content/duplicatetab.js line 546

I'm not sure if this error is fixed now, neither do I know why it occured. Although I have had that same error once, but only with a fairly obvious error in the code that was not present in the previous test release, and certainly not in the current.
But please report if you get this error again with this new version, so I know it wasn't caused by the code I changed now.

Thanks,
Twanno
mjcarman

Post by mjcarman »

No problems thus far with the new version. I'll let you know if I see it again.
mjcarman

Post by mjcarman »

I'm seeing a new twist on the "link doesn't open" problem. Instead of the tab duplicating but the link not opening, I end up with an empty tab. Here's what showed up in the error console:

newThumb has no properties
chrome://duplicatetab/content/duplicatetab.js line 615

Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsIWebNavigation.gotoIndex]
chrome://duplicatetab/content/duplicatetab.js line 515
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but the latest install of this extension, well actually since 0.8.0 this extension breaks myspace and slows down surfing
twanno

Post by twanno »

sabret00the wrote:not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but the latest install of this extension, well actually since 0.8.0 this extension breaks myspace and slows down surfing

Are you sure Duplicate Tab is the cause? Did you test with Duplicate Tab disabled?
I am quite sure Duplicate Tab can't break websites.

Twanno
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

twanno wrote:
sabret00the wrote:not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but the latest install of this extension, well actually since 0.8.0 this extension breaks myspace and slows down surfing

Are you sure Duplicate Tab is the cause? Did you test with Duplicate Tab disabled?
I am quite sure Duplicate Tab can't break websites.

Twanno
yup tested with duplicate tab disabled and it all went back to normal.
twanno

Post by twanno »

Okay, then I will try to find and fix the problem:

Can you provide more information on what exactly breaks, so I can try to reproduce?
Also can you give (post here or pm) me a list of extensions you have installed. It may be a conflict with another extension.

TIA
Quantifier

Post by Quantifier »

I have Firefox 1.5.0.4 with Duplicate Tab 0.8.1, and have few problems with it. First and most important is that everytime when I middle click on the link (or right click and choose "open link in duplicate tab"), new tab shows only cached, last visited version. I disabled all other extensions, and testing with Ethereal indicated that there isn't even an HTTP Request! In result every duplicated tab needs to be refreshed, which is really annoying. Is this a problem with my faulty configuration or the extension itself?

The other thing is that the options "clone zoom factor" and "clone scroll position" are actually swapped.
twanno

Post by twanno »

Quantifier wrote:I have Firefox 1.5.0.4 with Duplicate Tab 0.8.1, and have few problems with it. First and most important is that everytime when I middle click on the link (or right click and choose "open link in duplicate tab"), new tab shows only cached, last visited version. I disabled all other extensions, and testing with Ethereal indicated that there isn't even an HTTP Request! In result every duplicated tab needs to be refreshed, which is really annoying. Is this a problem with my faulty configuration or the extension itself?

I suppose it is because of the extension. I will look into it.

Quantifier wrote:The other thing is that the options "clone zoom factor" and "clone scroll position" are actually swapped.

OK, thanks. I've found the cause for this, and it will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks,
Twanno
Quantifier

Post by Quantifier »

I've got another question.
I browse with keyboard only a lot, and I use ctrl+enter for opening links in new tab, which doesn't clone tab history. Is it possible to configure a shortcut for opening links in duplicated tab? If not, then maybe in future versions? The only way I see now is to bring up the context menu, and navigate with arrows to "Open Link in Duplicated Tab". I tried keyconfig with functions for kc, but no luck so far.